Spell card set and activate

Here's a place to ask about the rules of the game.
Ventus
Rare Duelist

Spell card set and activate

Postby Ventus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:38 pm

I have read somewhere that you can set and activate a normal spell card in the same turn. I did do it in my locaction but the spoiled brat I played against said no and everyone in the room said no.

But I was quite sure I read it somewhere. Am I wrong?

pyropiks
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: Spell card set and activate

Postby pyropiks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

why would you set something you will activate the same turn?..... also, i have an understanding that no, you cant, if you set a card you must wait 1 turn to be able to activate it...
....."力"..."暗".....

Czar
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Postby Czar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:48 pm

pyropiks wrote:why would you set something you will activate the same turn?..... also, i have an understanding that no, you cant, if you set a card you must wait 1 turn to be able to activate it...

This. You can't set anything and then flip/activate it that same turn.

Ventus
Rare Duelist

Postby Ventus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 pm

I found it now on the yugi wiki:

Although Spell Cards are as powerful as a Trap Card, they have the advantage that they may be played the turn they are drawn without having to Set them first. A Set Spell Card may be activated the turn it is Set as well (with the exception of Quick-Play Spell Cards).

I think its very important, especially for my mill deck.

pyropiks
Secret Rare Duelist

Postby pyropiks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Ventus wrote:I found it now on the yugi wiki:

Although Spell Cards are as powerful as a Trap Card, they have the advantage that they may be played the turn they are drawn without having to Set them first. A Set Spell Card may be activated the turn it is Set as well (with the exception of Quick-Play Spell Cards).

I think its very important, especially for my mill deck.

really?.. i can?.. haha nice, still, i dont know why would i if i am going to activate it anyway
....."力"..."暗".....

Ventus
Rare Duelist

Postby Ventus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Just imagine you have a really important trap card that could save your ass and you some other spell cards or whatever on your hand. Set a spell card many activate MST or whatever in this turn so it wont chain.

pyropiks
Secret Rare Duelist

Postby pyropiks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 pm

well yes it can diverge attention towards it, but i dunno, i just wouldnt.. if it suits you then go ahead C:
....."力"..."暗".....

shadowdragon
Secret Rare Duelist

Postby shadowdragon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 pm

that move of setting the spell works nicely at my locals. kids are so gungho to mst any possible traps that u can put down trap cards that activate "when this card is destroyed by an effect..." and they'll bite on it 50% of the time. then after they see you do it, they'll let u set bth and not go after it. chess games lol

pyropiks
Secret Rare Duelist

Postby pyropiks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:28 pm

shadowdragon wrote:that move of setting the spell works nicely at my locals. kids are so gungho to mst any possible traps that u can put down trap cards that activate "when this card is destroyed by an effect..." and they'll bite on it 50% of the time. then after they see you do it, they'll let u set bth and not go after it. chess games lol

oh i love to play chess C: (yes, even more than yugi)... wel i might try it out, as i said, i thought you couldnt.
....."力"..."暗".....

shadowdragon
Secret Rare Duelist

Postby shadowdragon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 pm

if you've noticed, my builds are based around chess type strategies.

Kyduk
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Postby Kyduk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 pm

You really can set normal/continuous/equip spell cards and activate them later in the turn. It is so because the lockdown that cause a card to not be able to be activated after it is set is because of the possibility of chaining the card. It would be too strong to be able to set quick-play/trap cards and be able to activate them right away.

As to why you would set spell cards before activating them:
You can set your normal spell cards before flipping morphing jar for example, that way you keep everything and still be able to activate the normal spell cards later during the turn. You can protect your hand by doing so. (Morphing jar, Card Destruction, Reload, you may want to keep cards before activating them)

For example, set giant trunade and other cards, flip morphing jar, get a tuner in the new hand, activate giant trunade and synchro. Without knowing if you'd get a monster/tuner, it would've been risky to activate giant trunade before hand.
RC-1 Certified Judge

pyropiks
Secret Rare Duelist

Postby pyropiks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 pm

shadowdragon wrote:if you've noticed, my builds are based around chess type strategies.

well, i have not.. but i'll search your builds.... (when i do a OTK or a BIG win i say checkmate :P lol)

Kyduk, thats very explanatory, thanks... so this actually works well, nice
....."力"..."暗".....

Ventus
Rare Duelist

Postby Ventus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Yeah because of MJ I was quite pissed that the brats wouldnt let me do it

Czar
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Postby Czar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:57 pm

O_O Wow, you really do learn something new every day, lol. And yeh, for why you set them, shadowdragon is dead on. So many people love backrow hate, setting the occasional spell card as bait tends to keep them thinking.

Plax
Super Rare Duelist

Postby Plax » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:36 am

you can also set your field spell over your existing one if it gets you a bonus.

i.e. geartown or karakuri showdown castle

and then still activate it later that turn
DNet: KamikazeKid
YGOpro: Australia

Return to “Rules of Dueling”