DFB's Sun Team (Smogon OU)

Here's a place to talk about the Pokémon video games.
Evilfaic
Secret Rare Duelist

DFB's Sun Team (Smogon OU)

Post by Evilfaic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 am

DFB's Sun Team

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I figured I'd get advice on this until Gen 6 OU on Showdown renders it useless.

This team is by far my favorite to use. Sun is the underrated weather with Rain/Sand teams everywhere, but I designed this team to be able to handle them.
Spoiler:
Ninetales (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- SolarBeam
- Protect
- Toxic
Ninetales is the sun-bringer. Flamethrower is more reliable than Fire Blast, and is powerful enough with STAB and sun. SolarBeam is mainly for coverage, plus the sheer power of a 120 BP attack. Protect is for emergencies. Lastly, Toxic is there for crippling plus I prefer it to Will-O-Wisp with its 75% accuracy (er, I guess it's 85 now).
Spoiler:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
Ferrothorn on a sun team may seem strange, but it's SO useful. Power Whip takes down Politoed and other threats to the team. Leech Seed is magical for stealing health from sweepers and bulky Pokemon. Spikes is here as opposed to SR because I can set up multiple layers, plus SR is on Heatran later. Lastly, Thunder Wave is for the crippling of things.
Spoiler:
Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- SolarBeam
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
Venusaur is my Chlorophyll sweeper. It's insanely fast in the sun and it's speed isn't bad to begin with. SolarBeam is just amazing with STAB and 120 BP. Earthquake is there for coverage of Fire-types mainly. HP Fire is also for coverage of Ferrothorn, etc. Plus the sun boosts fire moves. Lastly, Sleep Powder misses quite often, but it's just so good.
Spoiler:
Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
Volcarona is simply a boss. Bug Buzz is STAB and coverage of Psychic-types plus it kills Tyrannitar, a huge threat to the team. Fiery Dance is there as opposed to Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Fire Blast for the potential SpA boost and it's already strong enough with sun and STAB. Giga Drain covers Water-types and is a recover method. Lastly, Quiver Dance is so good with that special boost and speed boost.
Spoiler:
Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is another sweeper, but it's the bulky sort rather than speedy like the other Pokemon on this team. Lava Plume seems to burn a lot even though it only has a 30% chance of doing so. Earth Power is for coverage. HP Ice is, again, for coverage. Stealth Rock is good, but I find that I don't set it up, due to Heatran being taken down too fast.
Spoiler:
Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
Latias always saves me late game, especially when facing a Sand/Rain team. Dragon Pulse is for STAB and Latias's 110 base SpA makes it pretty powerful. HP Fire is boosted by sun and takes down Ferrothorn, Scizor, etc. Thunderbolt is for coverage of Water-types mainly. Lastly, Calm Mind is amazing, because even just one CM makes Latias an amazing sweeper.

Advice appreciated.
(Formerly DFB)
I was a small child when I made most of my posts so probably ignore them
https://soundcloud.com/evilfaic
LewieGee wrote:I, for one, think the guy with the shrek avatar on yugioh card guide forums for com is right

Ej1997
Parallel Rare Duelist

Re: DFB's Sun Team (Smogon OU)

Post by Ej1997 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Looks good though id rather put venosaur with toxic over sleep power then ninetails who would then have room for another coverage move like shadow ball against an opponents psychic just incase volcarno gets trumped by something like Staraptor or crobat.
signature made by Stardust Dragon also known as Zanrith
YCG Takeover
Wallaceman105 wrote:You know, weddings can be extremely emotional experiences.
Sometimes, even the cake is in tiers.

Evilfaic
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Evilfaic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Ej1997 wrote:incase volcarno gets trumped by something like Staraptor or crobat.
But how often do you see those two in OU?
(Formerly DFB)
LewieGee wrote:I, for one, think the guy with the shrek avatar on yugioh card guide forums for com is right

Rognarr
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Rognarr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:48 pm

I'd try and fit a spinner in there somewhere, since Ninetails takes 2x damage from rocks and might have to switch in a bit if they have a weather of their own.
Thanks to Zeronex for the sig.
DN username=Rognar

Promo06
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Promo06 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:03 pm

DarkFireblaze3636 wrote:
Ej1997 wrote:incase volcarno gets trumped by something like Staraptor or crobat.
But how often do you see those two in OU?
Besides how terrible staraptor and crowbar are in current OU, Sleep Powder over Toxic by so much. Sleep Powder is free setup and ninetales has a brutal sun-boosted flamethrower/fire blast that does more damage then shadow ball ever would.

Also, my advice is Fire Blast over Flamethrower. Ninetales lacks power to pull off a decent flamethrower even in sun. I think it's a matter of preference really, but riskiness pays off sometimes.

Also, I like Heatran, but he isn't a sweeper, just maybe correct that.

Also, I am going to run a campaign for Latias to have Recover. It's something I think you should test as it brings a potential for Latias to literally defeat every pokemon with one D Pulse or HP Fire (assuming your okay with losing coverage that TBolt gives.)
*Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*

Promo06 - Dueling Network ID
FinalEquin0x - Pokemon Showdown ID

PM me if you ever want to duel or battle.

Evilfaic
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Evilfaic » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Rognarr wrote:I'd try and fit a spinner in there somewhere, since Ninetails takes 2x damage from rocks and might have to switch in a bit if they have a weather of their own.
I'm actually considering Donphan over Heatran because it can do RSpin and Stealth Rock. Would probably do:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard/Fire Fang
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Promo06 wrote:Also, I am going to run a campaign for Latias to have Recover. It's something I think you should test as it brings a potential for Latias to literally defeat every pokemon with one D Pulse or HP Fire (assuming your okay with losing coverage that TBolt gives.)
I've actually asked many people which to run on Latias (CM or Recover), and the VAST majority said CM. I'm also an offense-oriented battler, and with CM, Latias can destroy teams.
(Formerly DFB)

Promo06
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Promo06 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 pm

DarkFireblaze3636 wrote:
Rognarr wrote:I'd try and fit a spinner in there somewhere, since Ninetails takes 2x damage from rocks and might have to switch in a bit if they have a weather of their own.
I'm actually considering Donphan over Heatran because it can do RSpin and Stealth Rock. Would probably do:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard/Fire Fang
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Promo06 wrote:Also, I am going to run a campaign for Latias to have Recover. It's something I think you should test as it brings a potential for Latias to literally defeat every pokemon with one D Pulse or HP Fire (assuming your okay with losing coverage that TBolt gives.)
I've actually asked many people which to run on Latias (CM or Recover), and the VAST majority said CM. I'm also an offense-oriented battler, and with CM, Latias can destroy teams.
Keep CM lose TBolt gra Recover. You don't need the extra coverage.
*Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*

Promo06 - Dueling Network ID
FinalEquin0x - Pokemon Showdown ID

PM me if you ever want to duel or battle.