One Piece

If you love anime, chances are you have a fond appreciation for manga too, after-all, most anime is born out of these great stories.
Tarkess
Parallel Rare Duelist

One Piece

Post by Tarkess » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:26 pm

Why in the HELL am I the first to make this topic? You guys are LOWSY and you SICKEN me of not reading One Piece, jk. Joke aside people, this manga is really great (Never really watched the animé, though the FUNI dub is great) so to the people who reads this manga, discuss it here (I think you read it Dante. Or else...!)

Dante_Solablood
Parallel Rare Duelist

Re: One Piece

Post by Dante_Solablood » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Tarkess wrote:Why in the HELL am I the first to make this topic? You guys are LOWSY and you SICKEN me of not reading One Piece, jk. Joke aside people, this manga is really great (Never really watched the animé, though the FUNI dub is great) so to the people who reads this manga, discuss it here (I think you read it Dante. Or else...!)
I read it in Shonen Jump, it's a great series with original characters and a lot of heart.

It's a little formulaic along the lines of DBZ & Naruto, but one thing raises this above BOTH of those... the chapter pictures! At the start of each chapter, they show an image that explains whats happening elsewhere so perfectly. LOL it evens shows Buggy getting free!

Tarkess
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Tarkess » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Dante_Solablood wrote:
Tarkess wrote:Why in the HELL am I the first to make this topic? You guys are LOWSY and you SICKEN me of not reading One Piece, jk. Joke aside people, this manga is really great (Never really watched the animé, though the FUNI dub is great) so to the people who reads this manga, discuss it here (I think you read it Dante. Or else...!)
I read it in Shonen Jump, it's a great series with original characters and a lot of heart.

It's a little formulaic along the lines of DBZ & Naruto, but one thing raises this above BOTH of those... the chapter pictures! At the start of each chapter, they show an image that explains whats happening elsewhere so perfectly. LOL it evens shows Buggy getting free!

I loved the part with Buggy not having a lot of his body, so all he had was his hand, feet and head, lol. Also, I think this is one of the few mangas where I find it badass that some of the characters are just so incredibly crazy strong, because the people who is going to suffer from this amazing strength REALLY diserves it (sometimes, lol). I just love it, read the newest chapter not too long ago. Awesome.

Dante_Solablood
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Dante_Solablood » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Tarkess wrote:I loved the part with Buggy not having a lot of his body, so all he had was his hand, feet and head, lol. Also, I think this is one of the few mangas where I find it badass that some of the characters are just so incredibly crazy strong, because the people who is going to suffer from this amazing strength REALLY diserves it (sometimes, lol). I just love it, read the newest chapter not too long ago. Awesome.
I don't know if I like how strong they are, especially as they make sure Luffy ALWAYS suffers a lot before he beats the 'villain of the day' - but I must admit I laughed a lot when they revealed the 'water crystals' that effect the Devil Fruit people.

Such a RIDICULOUS weakness! Which is why it's so good!

Tarkess
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Tarkess » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Dante_Solablood wrote:
Tarkess wrote:I loved the part with Buggy not having a lot of his body, so all he had was his hand, feet and head, lol. Also, I think this is one of the few mangas where I find it badass that some of the characters are just so incredibly crazy strong, because the people who is going to suffer from this amazing strength REALLY diserves it (sometimes, lol). I just love it, read the newest chapter not too long ago. Awesome.
I don't know if I like how strong they are, especially as they make sure Luffy ALWAYS suffers a lot before he beats the 'villain of the day' - but I must admit I laughed a lot when they revealed the 'water crystals' that effect the Devil Fruit people.

Well, they don't ALWAYS win. Just look at Aokiji, he's freaking crazy. Also, Zoro got pwned by Kuma. Though I do like Zoro alot because of his stubornness and etc.

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:49 pm

I really liked the story line but the art style bothered me to much to continue after the fight where they got Sanji.

Dragonic master
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by Dragonic master » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:26 pm

the person who draws this manga has a weird sense of drawing teeths...... the story's good but some characters are extremly weird. for example: Mr:2 (if you know who i am talking about)

here's a picture of him:

bluebomber2425
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by bluebomber2425 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Tarkess wrote:
Dante_Solablood wrote:

Well, they don't ALWAYS win. Just look at Aokiji, he's freaking crazy. Also, Zoro got pwned by Kuma. Though I do like Zoro alot because of his stubornness and etc.

not to mention Portgas D. Ace is under the Navy's custody. I love Sokeking, Chibi Luffy, and Brooke.
Favorite Quotes:
"So zetta slow!" - Sho Minamimoto
"Appo." - Gintoki Sakata
"You could say....?" - King of Terror
"Objection!" - Phoenix Wright

Tarkess
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Tarkess » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:55 am

bluebomber2425 wrote:
Tarkess wrote:
Dante_Solablood wrote: I don't know if I like how strong they are, especially as they make sure Luffy ALWAYS suffers a lot before he beats the 'villain of the day' - but I must admit I laughed a lot when they revealed the 'water crystals' that effect the Devil Fruit people.

not to mention Portgas D. Ace is under the Navy's custody. I love Sokeking, Chibi Luffy, and Brooke.

Ace is one of my favs :D too bad he lost to Blackbeard..

Da Jackal
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Da Jackal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:40 pm

I remember that show, Don Krieg was awesome.

Earlier episodes were better, started getting boring around the Desert/Baroque Works/Crocodile thing.

Dante_Solablood
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Dante_Solablood » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm about that far with the manga Jackal - I'm not really getting bored, but there seems to be a plethora of demon-fruited warriors turning up & stereotypes are starting to get very ingrained... such as Usopp being a useless coward for half the manga & then suddenly making a stand & beating a sub-boss. 3rd/4th time now? I dub him Krillin.

Da Jackal
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Da Jackal » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:53 pm

It doesn't get boring until they wander around the desert and eat sand for 20 episodes.

Dante_Solablood
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Dante_Solablood » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 am

Da Jackal wrote:It doesn't get boring until they wander around the desert and eat sand for 20 episodes.
That doesn't really happen in the manga, I guess it's another case an anime space-filling so they can make a chapter fit into a season. Naruto does that a lot... suprised they don't talk slowly as well just to pad it out some more.

Giotto
Rare Duelist

Post by Giotto » Sun May 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Allow me to raise this thread from the dead~.
Spoilers incoming, by the way.

Bon Clay gets the Manly Man Award for being completely awesome. Unfortunately, he probably won't join the crew. I don't see him fitting into a functional 'role', as the crew members are supposed to (even though Zoro cheats with his 'First Mate' title). I also like that Oda decided to invoke the 'TRAIN TO GET BETTER GAISE SO'S U CAN BEAT THE GUY WHO BEAT U' thing, but then turns around and hides it. Which is awesome, because watching 8 people train while Luffy's doing something more interesting would be annoying. I'm hoping where Usopp landed is the Sniper Island, for irony. (Inb4 it's in your heart)

Currently, I'd say that if I had to read only one manga for a year, it'd be One Piece. I like the pacing, characters, plot, and overall style, which is especially outstanding since I typically get very picky (I even found reasons to stop reading Bleach). The anime's nice too (being in HD helps) and, even though the filler is usually pretty obnoxious, it's well handled and it's nice that it's normally only one short arc of filler per story arc.