Deck thoughts?

This is the place to tell us about your deck and to give other people feedback on theirs.

Please be nice to new players. Don't expect everyone to be an expert, that is why they are asking for advice, after-all.
SummonedJordan
Common Duelist

Deck thoughts?

Post by SummonedJordan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 am

So, I just cut down my deck from my childhood so it was around 40 cards and a tad less sloppy. Keep in mind, this is for casual play, so I do realize some of these cards are not legal in tournament sense. Thoughts?

MONSTERS (22)
Labyrinth Wall
Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Red-Eyes B. Dragon
Mystical Elf
Summoned Skull
Dark Magician
Skilled Dark Magician
Skilled White Magician
Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon
Magician's Valkyria
Buster Blader
Kuriboh
Paladin of White Dragon
Double Coston
Breaker the Magical Warrior
4-Starred Ladybug of Doom
Dark Magician Girl
Marshmallon
Dark Magician of Chaos
Green Gadget
Red Gadget
Yellow Gadget

SPELLS (11)
Mystical Space Typhoon
Cost Down
Ancient Rules
Swords of Revealing Light
Dark Hole
Black Pendant
Fissure
White Dragon Ritual
Lightning Vortex
Raigeki
Convulsion of Nature

TRAPS (13)
Judgment of Anubis
Pharoah's Treasure
Magic Cylinder
Call of the Haunted
Skull Dice
Enchanted Javelin
Deal of Phantom
Torrential Tribute
Magical Arm Shield
Spellbinding Circle
Mirror Force
Trap Hole
Waboku

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Deck thoughts?

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 am

Well, to be honest, there's nothing in this deck that's illegal for tournament play.
The only cards you have here that are even Limited are Raigeki and Dark Hole, but since they are both allowed at 1, you can technically bring this to a tournament.
That's the problem with this deck.
The whole thing is so outdated, you assumed it had illegal cards.
Also, you have 8 Tribute level monsters, plus a single Ritual with a single copy of its Ritual Spell.
You have so many bricks that you could build a chimney.

This deck is loaded with nostalgia cards from the original anime for sure, but it's way too slow for even modern casual play.
That and it has no theme, so there's nothing to even advise you on.
Is it a Blue-Eyes White Dragon deck? A Dark Magician Deck? A Red-Eyes Deck?

They have released a LOT of new support cards for Blue-Eyes, Dark Magician, and Red-Eyes since your childhood.
If you enjoy those classic monsters and want to play casually, I suggest picking a theme, researching newer support for them,
and collecting from there.
Since none of those classic monsters are currently the top cards played in tournaments, most of their support is relatively cheap.

Also, investigate having an Extra Deck. Given the cards you're using, I'll assume you only remember it as the Fusion Deck.
There's more than just Fusion Monsters for it now.
If the friends you are playing casually with have decks like yours, you'll knock their socks off with the modern
support cards for these classic monsters.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

SummonedJordan
Common Duelist

Re: Deck thoughts?

Post by SummonedJordan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:18 am

MysticJhn wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 am
Well, to be honest, there's nothing in this deck that's illegal for tournament play.
The only cards you have here that are even Limited are Raigeki and Dark Hole, but since they are both allowed at 1, you can technically bring this to a tournament.
That's the problem with this deck.
The whole thing is so outdated, you assumed it had illegal cards.
Also, you have 8 Tribute level monsters, plus a single Ritual with a single copy of its Ritual Spell.
You have so many bricks that you could build a chimney.

This deck is loaded with nostalgia cards from the original anime for sure, but it's way too slow for even modern casual play.
That and it has no theme, so there's nothing to even advise you on.
Is it a Blue-Eyes White Dragon deck? A Dark Magician Deck? A Red-Eyes Deck?

They have released a LOT of new support cards for Blue-Eyes, Dark Magician, and Red-Eyes since your childhood.
If you enjoy those classic monsters and want to play casually, I suggest picking a theme, researching newer support for them,
and collecting from there.
Since none of those classic monsters are currently the top cards played in tournaments, most of their support is relatively cheap.

Also, investigate having an Extra Deck. Given the cards you're using, I'll assume you only remember it as the Fusion Deck.
There's more than just Fusion Monsters for it now.
If the friends you are playing casually with have decks like yours, you'll knock their socks off with the modern
support cards for these classic monsters.
thanks for the advice! been awhile since I've played, other than against a few friends, who have the same era decks. I do know the whole side deck mechanic, and was thinking about implementing once I get more cards. thank you for the tips!