Yu-Gi-Oh! Store
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:59 pm 
Common Duelist

So, I am deciding to start getting into yugioh again and did some small research and found there are many archetypes of decks. And, by not knowing any of these archetypes and which one is right for me I'd love some help. My play style is more chess like, I am a deep thinker, I would analyze my hand before making a move. Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. If there is any other information that would help I'll gladly provide it. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:42 pm 
Secret Rare Duelist

Do you plan to play competitively IRL? If you do it sounds like Wind-ups are the deck for you. Currently, the format is plauged by (for the most part) autopilot decks and while Wind-Ups aren't Goat Control, they are in my opinion the most skilled deck of the format.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 pm 
Common Duelist

fyreberd52 wrote:
Do you plan to play competitively IRL? If you do it sounds like Wind-ups are the deck for you. Currently, the format is plauged by (for the most part) autopilot decks and while Wind-Ups aren't Goat Control, they are in my opinion the most skilled deck of the format.

I may end up looking to see if I'll play competitively, but I may also just collect them and play with friends. And, could you explain what goat control is? And list some other challenging decks that could compete at the tournament level?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm 
Secret Rare Duelist

"Goat Control" is praised by many as one of the most skilled formats in YGO history. If you decide to play competitively be warned: it is not cheap. You're going to spend atleast $100 on your deck alone, not even counting the extra deck. Your extra deck is even more expensive than your main deck. And unfortunately for you, Wind-Ups are one of the most expensive competitive decks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 pm 
Ultra Rare Duelist

There's also Six Samurais. They are cheaper since the new structure deck came out that is based around Six Sams. Plus, if you live in America, you can get your hands on a Ra Yellow Mega Pack Special Edition. The pack set comes with some Six Sams and it also comes with a Legendary Six Samurai - Shi'En. Which is one of the most powerful and easy to summon Six Samurai cards. That will cost you up to 50 dollars (Because you will also need to get staple cards. ex: Mystical Space Typhoon, Monster Reborn, Fiendish Chain (Which comes in the Six Samurai structure deck), Dark Hole (Another card from the structure deck), and the Solemns, (Warnings and Judgment)

Deckbox: skull_king
YouTube: Skull King
DeviantArt: theskullking1337
FimFiction: skull_king

you see a pattern here?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 pm 
Common Duelist

fyreberd52 wrote:
"Goat Control" is praised by many as one of the most skilled formats in YGO history. If you decide to play competitively be warned: it is not cheap. You're going to spend atleast $100 on your deck alone, not even counting the extra deck. Your extra deck is even more expensive than your main deck. And unfortunately for you, Wind-Ups are one of the most expensive competitive decks.

So, I read up on "Goat Control" and I really like it. But, I read this http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Goat_Control and it says that after Tsukuyomi, Thousand-Eyes Restrict, Magician of Faith, and Metamorphosis were banned the deck has completely died. As well as Scapegoat being limited. I don't have an issue in terms of cost, is it still worth it to build a goat control deck (assuming tourney play)? Or, should I go ahead with Wind-ups? What about fortune lady, is that a challenging deck? Or, the classic God cards?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:21 pm 
Common Duelist

Noble_55 wrote:
There's also Six Samurais. They are cheaper since the new structure deck came out that is based around Six Sams. Plus, if you live in America, you can get your hands on a Ra Yellow Mega Pack Special Edition. The pack set comes with some Six Sams and it also comes with a Legendary Six Samurai - Shi'En. Which is one of the most powerful and easy to summon Six Samurai cards. That will cost you up to 50 dollars (Because you will also need to get staple cards. ex: Mystical Space Typhoon, Monster Reborn, Fiendish Chain (Which comes in the Six Samurai structure deck), Dark Hole (Another card from the structure deck), and the Solemns, (Warnings and Judgment)

Correct me if I am wrong. But, I've heard that Six Samurai's is quite auto-pilot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:24 pm 
Ultra Rare Duelist

IMO, Wind Ups are pretty auto pilot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:34 pm 
Secret Rare Duelist

No, Goat Control is not a deck anymore. Don't even try and build it for competitive, organized play. Personally, I'm not familiar with Fortune Ladies so I could not give you any advice where they're concerned. The God Cards make for a nice billy deck but they aren't competitive (with the exception of Obelisk in Lancer Frogs).

Alice wrote:
IMO, Wind Ups are pretty auto pilot.

Clearly the loop is autopilot but outside of that the deck has a wide range of plays. TBH it's similar to what plants were when they dominated the format. Again, outside of the loop. I mean have you ever seen a Wind-Up mirror match? In the words of Uncle Kanye: "That S**t Cray"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 pm 
Ghost Rare Duelist

Six spam are autopilot
Original gods are worthless except maybe slifer who is not out
Fortune ladies are fun but not competitive

Go ahead and touch it, you will be transported to the thread to pay due respect to the goddess Kamikon Wolf.

Revolution

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:41 pm 
Ultra Rare Duelist

Some things you could consider playing:
HEROs
Chaos Anti Meta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:28 am 
Common Duelist

I am searching up other decks and I've seen that Infernities, Fabled, and Aliens are challenging as well as Empty Jar, Glad Tier 1, also Exodia OTK and X-Sabers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:56 pm 
Super Rare Duelist

If you want chess-like play, I would say forget about archetypes and run some type of anti-meta variant. That or just make up an original deck of powerful cards. I think one of the top decks at the recent NAWCQ was like that. Archetypes are kind of meant to run in a certain way that usually doesn't vary too much, unless you're interested in using a sub-par build.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:29 pm 
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Clearly Chess Archfiends are the answer.

But actually not. Honestly, Yu-Gi-Oh isn't a game for particularly skillful or deep thinking play, at least as it is now. If you really need that style, you might be better off with another game.

I personally feel that the most skill in Yu-Gi-Oh relies on creating your deck, which people cheat by netdecking, and then just not screwing up. Really there is generally a "right" play, and the only skill is to figure that out and then do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm 
Ultra Rare Duelist

Yeah, an anti meta variant seems best for you; but if you are interested in Empty Jar, you can read about it in the guides section.