A Guide to YCG's Deck Advice Section

This is the place to tell us about your deck and to give other people feedback on theirs.

Please be nice to new players. Don't expect everyone to be an expert, that is why they are asking for advice, after-all.
Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist

A Guide to YCG's Deck Advice Section

Post by Zanrith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 am

-Table of Contents- (Press Ctrl+F to search for a section)
I. Forward
II. Posting decks
III. Taking Advice
IV. Replying to decks
V. Final Comments
VI. Special Thanks

I. Forward

I would like to say that my early on experience on the forum would have been much better, had I had a guide to use which showed me how to post decks and reply to others. I didn't have the benefit from that experience, but I really hope others do, because I sure want to attract some pretty cool people to the forum. Every time I see who is in deck advice, there's a bunch of guests. They should feel YCG is welcome to them.
And if any guests ARE reading this, then I encourage you to join. It's a pretty fun place here. Now, let's get into the guide, shall we?

II. Posting Decks

So, you're probably new around here looking to post your deck in the deck advice section, and it's your first time being on a forum, so you really don't know what to do. Well, you've come to the right place then! I'll go everything you might want to do when you post your first decks.

First of all, you should type out a decklist. Shouldn't take too long to do that. It usually takes me about 10 minutes tops, plus I grab a video and add some commentary about the deck I'm posting for viewers. If you don't have a decklist in mind, but you have a general idea of a certain deck you want to build, head over to Game Strategies to get some help in getting your concepts into a 40 card masterpiece.
Spoiler:
Title of Deck

Total (#):

Monsters (#):

#x Monster Name

Spells (#):

#x Spell Name

Traps (#):

#x Trap Name

Extra (#):

#x Card Name

Side (#):

#x Card Name
You should only have to type the name of the card, along with how many you're using. We don't need the rarity or the set or anything else.

Secondly, most of us here appreciate visuals on deck advice threads. It's easier to get a visual perspective instead of a written one and having to look at it several times. There are several ways in which you could get a visual. The most common way we use is A website called Dueling Newtork In which you can edit decks and have access to every card in the game, including some which aren't even in the TCG yet to check out decks coming up soon. There is a Camera in the upper right hand corner of the browser, and it you click on it, it will take a screenshot of the deck and generate a link to an imgur image. (You might have to disable your pop-up blocker in order to get the screenshot to work). Then, copy that url on the image, and go into your new topic, and paste your image like:

Code: Select all

[img]Your Image Here.png[/img]
Then, when you post it, it will show the image of your deck.
Spoiler:
Screenshot button
Link to image
Place image in image tags
Alternatively, you can also use another deck editor, such as YGOPRO, which is a farily good automated dueling system. The downside is you need to download it and it gets a bit buggy at times. You can then screenshot your deck by pressing "Prnt Scrn" on your keyboard, and then uploading it to a website, such as imgur, or photobucket, then grabbing the link that way.
You don't HAVE to have a visual, it's just widely appreciated for some of us, myself included.

Third, you need to specify what you are specifically playing with in terms of rules.
Are you playing with a few friends and just want to have a fun time? Don't really care about banned cards? Well, you probably won't want to post your deck in deck advice. We really don't know what you guys call banned or not, and if you're playing with no banlist, everyone just says "Use EotS ftk." we really don't know how to give advice, because we don't have any limits in a sense of banned cards. If you were not aware there is a banlist, it is right here. Are you in the OCG? If you don't know what that is, then you probably aren't in it. If you ARE in the OCG, then mention it to get appropriate advice on your decks. If you're using "fun decks", certainly post them. We're tired of the meta a lot and we like to see creative thought being put into decks. It gives everyone great ideas of their own.

Lastly, I typically like to add a brief summary to my decks stating why I made a deck, if it's irl or if I plan on making it irl, what works, what doesn't, what's been testing good, what hasn't. It really helps if someone is netdecking and trying to learn how to play something for a short summary on what works well and what doesn't to be there.

III. Taking Advice

Obviously, you're going to want advice on your decks, or else you wouldn't be in deck advice in the first place. When you post your deck, people may reply instantly to your deck, but odds are they won't. The key here is patience. Wait a few hours or even a day and come back. Members go through a lot of posts in a day, and it's not necessarily uncommon to skip over some. If your deck isn't replied to in several days, then it's probably because people skipped over it, didn't have any advice, or it was a slow week for the forum and people are busy. Things like that happen, so if your deck hasn't gotten a reply, you can double post on it saying "Bump" to bump the thread to the top of the deck advice forum, that way there are members seeing the deck again. I'm typically in deck advice often and will give advice as much as I can, because I read every post and know if something isn't getting much advice on.

In the likely event that you get reply, however, there are different ways you could reply based on advice given.
1. In the event that someone is asking you to change your whole deck base, such as removing an engine from your deck to put in another one, it would be best to ask why they want to do so. How is it going to make it better? The key here is understanding why your deck isn't as good as it can be with how you're running it.
2. In the event where someone gives you a basic reply asking you to change around a few tech cards and substitute in other cards, and you don't know why, then you should ask. They probably have a good reason to make those changes. What bugs me the most in deck advice is when someone just says "+ card. - card.", and doesn't give a reason why they should do that. It removes the essential point in advice, teaching. If they haven't explained something, ask.
3. In the event you are asked for why you've run 1/2 cards or asked to run 1/2 cards, you should ask what you should take out for it, unless you know what you yourself want to take out. It's best to ask advice, though, because someone might be more experienced with your deck's archetype/theme than you are.

In taking advice, there is one important thing you must remember: You must be open to advice. I remember my early time in the forum when I would post an irl deck and be totally against every change someone made. Now I look back on it and I think about how stupid I was. Be open to change. Be willing to change things around. Change is why you're here in deck advice. Anyway, I'm done talking about taking advice, so let's head over to the more complicated section, Giving advice.

IV. Replying to Decks

This is probably going to be the most important section of this guide, I HIGHLY encourage anyone reading this guide to read over this section carefully.

If you look over someone's list and you don't have a clue what they're doing, then ask. It not only helps you learn the deck better, but it makes whoever posted the deck feel good about themselves that someone is looking at their decks and actually replying.
For more experienced members like myself, I have previously been refraining from posting in deck advice unless it is a deck I specify in. I will stop doing that from now on to further enforce my previous points.
If you think you can give advice with someone's deck and you have experience with it, then go for it! I'm not stopping you. No one is. It's how deck advice works. We want to see people replying to decks, it makes all of us feel great that our decks are getting replied to and not being ignored. Having to bump a decklist without having any replies is quite saddening. my decks haven't been good enough to avoid replies like that, as I'm always screwing something up. But that's a good thing to screw up and ask advice.

V. Final Comments

I hope you found this guide helpful in deck advice posting, for both new members and old.

VI. Special Thanks
MysticJhn, and the rest of the forum for voting to have this thread stickied.
Loki, for suggestions and support.
Windsofthepast, for suggestions and support.
XYZ Dragon Cannon, for suggestions and support.
dedoombringer, for suggestions and support.
Everyone who reads and looks at this guide.

----
Last edited by Zanrith on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 14 times in total.
insert clever signature here

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Re: A Guide to YCG's Deck Advice Section

Post by Loki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 am

Change that to Ctrl+F

And it would be nice to add in a deck list format, something like:

Total (40):

Monsters (18):

3x monster
3x monster
3x monster

Spells (4):

2x Spell

Traps (3):

1x Trap

Edit:

and bold the section headings

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:22 am

Loki wrote:Change that to Ctrl+F
/derp
Loki wrote: And it would be nice to add in a deck list format, something like:

Total (40):

Monsters (18):

3x monster
3x monster
3x monster

Spells (4):

2x Spell

Traps (3):

1x Trap

Edit:

and bold the section headings
Will do.

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 am

Thinking a bit about it this is probably a better way to do it:
Total (#):

Monsters (#):

#x Monster Name

Spells (#):

#x Spell Name

Traps (#):

#x Trap Name

Extra (#):

#x Card Name

Side (#):

#x Card Name
Then mention something about not needing to know the atk, def, lvl, or anything else about the monster.

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:30 am

I just finished editing the op with that.

Windsofthepast
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Windsofthepast » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Personally I don't think the x is necessary between the number of cards you play and the name.

[1] Warning works just the same as 1 Warning.

Either way, I feel this should be pinned, either here or in the actual Guide section...
My thoughts on Pendulum Summoning: "Somebody played a card game and then boom! End of the world. It totally happened, just like I said; just card game -- boom! Everyone dead."

------

Constellar Guide | Masked HERO Guide

sgtc1
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by sgtc1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 pm

i liked it
#stickied
"F*** being normal!" ~EMIN3M

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Windsofthepast wrote:Personally I don't think the x is necessary between the number of cards you play and the name.

[1] Warning works just the same as 1 Warning.
I like to type lists like that also, It just makes for a good example imo.

And for it being stickied, I'll ask once I finish the guide.

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 am

Edited with Sections 3 and 4 completed. Let me know if I missed anything or if I should add anything.

XYZ Dragon Cannon

Post by XYZ Dragon Cannon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 pm

I still have to read through the whole thing, but you really need to edit this so it doesn't just look like a giant wall of text.

Make headings bold etc.
X X

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dedoombringer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:33 pm

You really shouldnt tell people not to give advice, sometimes the best way of learning is being explained to why what you recommended isnt good for this decks goal. Alot of simple mistakes are in gameplay styles.

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 pm

dedoombringer wrote:You really shouldnt tell people not to give advice, sometimes the best way of learning is being explained to why what you recommended isnt good for this decks goal. Alot of simple mistakes are in gameplay styles.
I said it would be a good idea to give advice, and if they don't know what the best way to give advice was, they could ask for an explanation.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:I still have to read through the whole thing, but you really need to edit this so it doesn't just look like a giant wall of text.

Make headings bold etc.
Will do.

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:27 am

Edited section 4. I re-read it and said it was not very good encouragement for posting in deck advice, the opposite of the point of the guide, so I removed the appropriate parts of it and added some more commentary.
I also made the guide look more outlined. Going to make it more user-friendly as well with more visual appeal.

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dedoombringer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 am

A random monster that lots of people know/like would help, this is a yugioh forum after all.

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Will do.
Going to be editing the section later today, as I have a religious obligation I must attend to, following some studying for finals.
Expect it to be done within 12 hours.