How Do I Make Emperor of Darkness Better?

This is the place to tell us about your deck and to give other people feedback on theirs.

Please be nice to new players. Don't expect everyone to be an expert, that is why they are asking for advice, after-all.
ZenithofRa
Common Duelist

How Do I Make Emperor of Darkness Better?

Post by ZenithofRa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 am

I am just getting back into Yu-gi-oh! and I got the Emperor of Darkness Structure deck now I know that in Magic the Gathering and Pokemon you usually want to add cards to make the pre-made decks better but I dont have a clue what i should be looking for to make it better. Any ideas?

In case you dont know what is in the deck this is the listed card

Ehther the Heavenly Monarch
Erebus the Underworld Monarch
Eidos the Underworld Squire
Edea the Heavenly Squire
Caius the Shadow Monarch
Zaborg the Thunder Monarch
Granmarg the Rock Monarch
Mobius the Frost Monarch
Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
Raiza the Storm Monarch
Lucius the Shadow Vassal
Mithra the Thunder Vassal
Landrobe the Rock Vassal
Escher the Frost Vassal
Berlineth the Firestorm Vassal
Garum the Storm Vassal
Illusory Snatcher
Tragoedia
Dandylion
Mathematician
Level Eater
Battle Fader
Rainbow Kuriboh
Pantheism of the Monarchs
Domain of the True Monarchs
March of the Monarchs
Return of the Monarchs
The Monarchs Stormforth
Strike of the Monarchs
Tenacity of the Monarchs
Soul Exchange
Enemy Controller
Dicephoon
Soul Charge
The Prime Monarch
The First Monarch
Escalation of the Monarchs
The Monarchs Awaken
The Monarchs Erupt
By Order of the Emperor
Pinpoint Guard
Emperor of Darkness Token

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Re: How Do I Make Emperor of Darkness Better?

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:04 pm

The advice you're looking for varies depending on how you want to use this deck...are you intending to play casually with friends or more competitively?

In any case, you'll want to start by shifting from Variety to Consistency. You'll notice this deck has one of each card, no duplicates...which is a lot of fun but makes it tough to draw exactly what you're looking for when you need it. A good place to start is swapping out your less effective cards for doubles and triples of your best cards. For instance: Raiza and Mobius have great effects but Granmarg's isn't as impactful, so by removing granmarg and adding a second raiza you have improved your decks utility and consistency without effecting its balance. The same is true for spells and traps. There's no reason to run soul exchange and stormforth when you can run two stormforths. You'll always want to make 1 for 1 exchanges, to keep your deck at 40 cards.

Cards like Erupt, By Order and Return aren't bad, but they are more situational and won't help your overall goal (summon more monarchs so they can ruin your opponent's field) whereas Strike, March and First will generally help you accomplish that more. It's up to you to decide how much Consistency vs Variety you want in your deck based on personal preference and what kinds of decks you'll be dueling.

Try a few duels out and you'll learn pretty quickly which cards you need more of and which ones aren't helping you out as much.

As for reaching for new cards, there are several other Monarch cards not in this deck that have great synergy with the ones you have. Kuraz the light and Angmarl the Fiendish are both excellent 6 star monarchs. As well, 8 star Mega Monarchs offer enhanced effects based on their 6 star correspondents. Some other monarch specific spell and traps exist too like Frost Blast. You can find all of these by searching 'monarch' on this site. Get whatever looks cool that's half the fun!

The main thing with this deck is ensuring you have a monster to tribute for your next monarch...the vassals already do this very well but there's always other ways to help. Cards that special summon to the field, or add new monsters to your hand are great here. Frogs, Gadgets, 'attribute summoners,' 'attribute searchers' and cards that can't be destroyed by battle like marshamallon can be used as an engine to make sure you have what you need on the field and in your hand. Those examples are actually a little more casual/old school(outdated lol)...so if you're looking for something faster you should double down on The First Monarch and your most effective vassals.

Most monarch spells/traps prevent the use of your extra deck, so don't worry about syncros and xyz's if you're unfamiliar.

Some cards are good in any deck, Enemy Controller (you already have one) is universally useful...other generic cards like (older) swords of revealing light or mirror force will help you protect and stock up on monsters to tribute...newer more relevant cards that could do the same might be Super Rush Headlong or Floodgate Trap Hole.

That's a lot at once...I personally really like monarchs so I jumped at this, questions are welcomed.

ZenithofRa
Common Duelist

Post by ZenithofRa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 am

This is awesome thank you, extremely helpful. Would you recommend some kind of token generator?

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 pm

If and only if those tokens can be tributed, it varies from card to card so check first.