Veterumbus

You asked for it, you got it. Dave is here so that you can write about other topics. This is not restricted to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Trading Card Games, Video Games, or any other topic specific to the site.

DO you and your local culture usually observe this holiday?

Yepp, no school/work on Columbus Day
20%
Yepp, no work/school on Veteran's Day
No votes
I get both days off cuz I live in an awesome part of the country
40%
I live in a lame region and have school/work both days :(
40%

Total votes: 5

JhonnyCees
Parallel Rare Duelist

Veterumbus

Post by JhonnyCees » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 pm

This occured to me in the Four Square thread and from talking to my friends who now go to college across the country...

Do you guys usually celebrate(no school/work) Colombus day and or Veteran's day? I know that some holidays like Evacuation Day(bonus points to anyone who knows when or where this is without being from Massachusetts and without looking it up) only occur in specific regions, i guess i always thought everybody had Colombus and Veterans day off, I guess I was wrong though.

YOU?
sgtc1 wrote:YGO isn't an old house. It looks more like Chernobyl.

Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Veterumbus

Post by Zanrith » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:45 pm

I get Veteran's day off, not Columbus Day.
insert clever signature here

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 am

Well, just looked at my schedule and I'm working on Veteran's Day.
I think it's only guaranteed off for government jobs anyway.

Columbus Day... don't know or care when that is.
It's a joke of a holiday as Columbus didn't even discover either America anyway.
History has proven that 1000 times over, so there's no reason this should even be on the calendar.
I'd sooner believe he was on a mission from the Templars than celebrate Columbus Day.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

mizu
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by mizu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:35 am

"It's a joke of a holiday as Columbus didn't even discover either America anyway.
History has proven that 1000 times over, so there's no reason this should even be on the calendar."

Whilst it is true that Columbus did not discover America. He did reveal americans existence to Europe. Though other races did manage to reach the Americas before Columbus, these encounters were not known nor published in Europe or Asia, as such the existing nations of Europe and asia of the time had no idea that the America's actually existed.

So Columbus did in fact "discover" and reveal America to the early modern world.

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 am

I've never heard of either of these. Do you guys consider it meaningful, or just a day off work like we do in Britain with our diamond jubilee?

(I would've answered the poll, but I don't like how I was depicted ;) )
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right
Bye YCG, thanks for all the good times.

Rognarr
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Rognarr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:11 am

The people who have veterans in the family usually make a big deal out of veterans day, but no one really cares about Columbus day.
Thanks to Zeronex for the sig.
DN username=Rognar

JhonnyCees
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by JhonnyCees » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am

I have no idea what Diamond Jubilee is, but yeah, colombus day is just: Sweet! no school! Veterans is more important, i wouldnt say it is celebrated in the same way thanksgiving or christmas is, but it gets alot more respect than flag day or columbus day or evacuation day
sgtc1 wrote:YGO isn't an old house. It looks more like Chernobyl.

LewieGee

Post by LewieGee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 am

Both of those days sound absolutely arbitrary and stupid.
Saying that, our Monarch Jubilees are just as stupid.
:oops:

sgtc1
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by sgtc1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 am

i get both off :D,but i really dont like the idea of celebrating columbus...............he did some things and killed many.............he was not a good man,and he actually didnt discover anything the vikings did.=.=
"F*** being normal!" ~EMIN3M

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm

LewieGee wrote:Both of those days sound absolutely arbitrary and stupid.
I agree Colombus Day is silly, but how is thanking/paying respect to veterans, people who give their lives to protect us, stupid?

LewieGee

Post by LewieGee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Loki wrote:
I agree Colombus Day is silly, but how is thanking/paying respect to veterans, people who give their lives to protect us, stupid?
Think about people who partake in a dangerous occupation all you want; to have a day off for it specifically is just a political tool for patriotism.
:oops:

Victory
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by Victory » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 pm

LewieGee wrote:
Loki wrote:
Think about people who partake in a dangerous occupation all you want; to have a day off for it specifically is just a political tool for patriotism.
I'd be careful if I were you. Some people care about the ones that died for their country.
Dueling Network: Utopia Ray Cyrus

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 pm

LewieGee wrote:
Loki wrote:
Yeah, I thank them because with their choice to go there isn't a draft forcing me to. With their sacrifice I'm safe. I think they deserve some respect.

I honestly don't think I've seen a positive post from you since I've gotten back, always a snarky undertone.

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:05 am

All (I think) Lewie is saying, is that there's no need for everyone to take a day off for it. Some people will be too young to understand, and America could probably take an example from remembrance day: We have two minutes of silence and wear poppies, but at the end of the day we still work, because we work to better the society that those fallen in battle gave us.

Patriotism also seems like a big, needless thing that booms from America. Say you're the best country all you want, don't go talking to anyone else about it.
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right
Bye YCG, thanks for all the good times.

XYZ Dragon Cannon

Post by XYZ Dragon Cannon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 am

Rowwdy Yisb wrote:All (I think) Lewie is saying, is that there's no need for everyone to take a day off for it. Some people will be too young to understand, and America could probably take an example from remembrance day: We have two minutes of silence and wear poppies, but at the end of the day we still work, because we work to better the society that those fallen in battle gave us.

Patriotism also seems like a big, needless thing that booms from America. Say you're the best country all you want, don't go talking to anyone else about it.
Only one minute for us.
X X