Budget Gaming PC Advice

You asked for it, you got it. Dave is here so that you can write about other topics. This is not restricted to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Trading Card Games, Video Games, or any other topic specific to the site.
Post Reply
User avatar
Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 6:22 am
Location: The Shadow Realm..

Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Darksoul » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 pm

So I finally managed to get myself a decent job, 2 actually, the first as an apprentice waiter and the second as a store assistant.

I'm looking into building a budget gaming pc that would hopefully last me 3 or 4 years for casual gaming or even possible university use. (I may just get a laptop for that)

I'm going through PC Case Gear. The desired budget was 1500 but I've gotten 1620 all up, including postage, as I decided I may as well be better off spending the extra bit of money purchasing a 4 GB graphics card as opposed to a 2 GB.


Deepcool Kendomen ATX Mid Tower Chassis Red - $65 (Comes with 5 preinstalled fans which I find really nice)

Gigabyte H170-HD3 Motherboard - $155 (Supports M.2 connections which can boast up to 32 GB/s read speed, not too sure about write speed though)

Intel Core i5 6400 - $269 (Cheapest i5 available, most games these days have a quad core minimum)

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2A2400C16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 Black - $89 (8GB is nice for casual gaming, should get a solid 45 FPS on most games)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC 4GB - $235 (Was originally going to go with a 2 GB, but I figured 4 GB is nice for the additional 50 dollars)

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB SSD - $179 (32 GB/s is dreamy compared to the laptop I'm using now. Will hold Windows 10 and a game or 2)

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200RPM - $99 (2 TB of additional storage for movies, music and other things)

Be Quiet! System Power 8 600W Power Supply - $79 (Not too much to say here, just a standard 600W PSU)

BenQ GW2470H 23.8in Widescreen VA LED Monitor - $199 (Multiple ports on the monitor for easy access, potential to add a stereo to computer)

Cougar Attack X3 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry Red - $129 (Matches the red and black theme, mechanical means more key presses)

MSI Interceptor DS B1 Optical Gaming Mouse Black - $29 (A cheap red and black mouse really)

Total: $1,527 with an additional $91 for postage.

So yeah, please review this build and tell me what you think. I currently have 500 stashed away so I'm a third of the way there XD
Image
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

User avatar
Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 11042
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Zanrith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 am

Is that AUS or USD?

I would upgrade the 1050 and the 6400. Unless you NEED the M.2 SSD for 10 gigabit ethernet or for whatever reason, I would just get a lower cost sata one now and upgrade in the future to an NVMe drive as costs come down. Why do you need a $200 panel? Higher refresh rate? You can find $100 1080p monitors pretty easily.

Would get a lower cost keyboard too. If you're looking for mechanical keys you can get a good keyboard for lower cost. I personally value a good mouse over a good keyboard and would invest more into the mouse when building from scratch.

Have you also considered the cost of windows? are you running linux with an nvidia card?

I can suggest a parts list if you have a specific list of stuff you'll be doing with this pc and specific games you'll be running, along with color scheme.
insert clever signature here

User avatar
Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 6:22 am
Location: The Shadow Realm..

Re: Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Darksoul » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 am

Australian dollars, I prefer to shop through PC Case Gear as they are located 500 km away from me in the great city of Melbourne.

A 1050 is completely fine for what I am doing, if not slightly overkill. I can see myself playing Diablo 3, SWTOR/SWKOTOR, CSGO and Minecraft amongst using the computer for movies and whatever else I need.

It's probably going to take me a few months to save the 1600 required to purchase the machine itself. How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing M.2 supported tech?

Preferably I wanted 2k resolution on the monitor, however I find the addition of ports attractive, I want to play music, loudly.

The only reason I'm spending so much on the peripherals is because they're matching my theme of black and red. :lol:

Windows 10 Home can't be more than 100, surely.

If you want to suggest a list of parts then go ahead, the color theme I want is red and black. It would be for casual gaming, i really don't see myself playing anything that high end. I may end up getting Steam.

Another website I would like to use is MSY as they're located in Adelaide, however I couldn't find their parts list for some unknown reason.

Never really tried any linux distributions, not sure why.
Image
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

User avatar
Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 11042
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Zanrith » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Darksoul wrote: A 1050 is completely fine for what I am doing, if not slightly overkill. I can see myself playing Diablo 3, SWTOR/SWKOTOR, CSGO and Minecraft amongst using the computer for movies and whatever else I need.
As long as you're at 1080p. You probably won't be able to run games that far into the future though.
Darksoul wrote: It's probably going to take me a few months to save the 1600 required to purchase the machine itself. How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing M.2 supported tech?
I mean, there's no real reason right now to pay the premium of doing NVMe M.2 or U.2 if you're just gaming. A SATA SSD should cost you less and you can spend the money elsewhere. When those standards become more and more widely used and the prices drop, then there shouldn't be a problem going over to M.2 or U.2. Don't get me wrong, NVMe M.2 drives are amazing, and I'm trying to upgrade to one myself right now, but it's not something I would recommend for your first build, especially since the standard is newer and comes with a higher price.
Darksoul wrote: Preferably I wanted 2k resolution on the monitor, however I find the addition of ports attractive, I want to play music, loudly.
Again, not something I can agree with, but can see the reasons behind why you chose it. I would personally get a $100-$120 panel with some $20-40 speakers. I've spent only around $300 USD on all 4 of my monitors and got a decent speaker used on craigslist for $20. I can see the justification for buying a $200 panel if it had a higher refresh rate or supported freesync/gsync or had a higher resolution, but for a 1080p 60 hz panel, I don't see it.
Darksoul wrote: The only reason I'm spending so much on the peripherals is because they're matching my theme of black and red. :lol:
Black/Red is a very common theme in PCs. You shouldn't have to pay $150 for a decent keyboard+mouse. You can also get RGB stuff which is becoming more and more popular.
Darksoul wrote:Never really tried any linux distributions, not sure why.
Darksoul wrote:Windows 10 Home can't be more than 100, surely.
So why not factor Windows into your build cost?
insert clever signature here

User avatar
Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 6:22 am
Location: The Shadow Realm..

Re: Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Darksoul » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:34 am

Zanrith wrote:
Darksoul wrote: A 1050 is completely fine for what I am doing, if not slightly overkill. I can see myself playing Diablo 3, SWTOR/SWKOTOR, CSGO and Minecraft amongst using the computer for movies and whatever else I need.
As long as you're at 1080p. You probably won't be able to run games that far into the future though.
Darksoul wrote: It's probably going to take me a few months to save the 1600 required to purchase the machine itself. How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing M.2 supported tech?
I mean, there's no real reason right now to pay the premium of doing NVMe M.2 or U.2 if you're just gaming. A SATA SSD should cost you less and you can spend the money elsewhere. When those standards become more and more widely used and the prices drop, then there shouldn't be a problem going over to M.2 or U.2. Don't get me wrong, NVMe M.2 drives are amazing, and I'm trying to upgrade to one myself right now, but it's not something I would recommend for your first build, especially since the standard is newer and comes with a higher price.
Darksoul wrote: Preferably I wanted 2k resolution on the monitor, however I find the addition of ports attractive, I want to play music, loudly.
Again, not something I can agree with, but can see the reasons behind why you chose it. I would personally get a $100-$120 panel with some $20-40 speakers. I've spent only around $300 USD on all 4 of my monitors and got a decent speaker used on craigslist for $20. I can see the justification for buying a $200 panel if it had a higher refresh rate or supported freesync/gsync or had a higher resolution, but for a 1080p 60 hz panel, I don't see it.
Darksoul wrote: The only reason I'm spending so much on the peripherals is because they're matching my theme of black and red. :lol:
Black/Red is a very common theme in PCs. You shouldn't have to pay $150 for a decent keyboard+mouse. You can also get RGB stuff which is becoming more and more popular.
Darksoul wrote:Never really tried any linux distributions, not sure why.
Darksoul wrote:Windows 10 Home can't be more than 100, surely.
So why not factor Windows into your build cost?
So basically I had this really long reply but my computer crashed and I lost it.

I'm going to be talking to my friend who owns the local computer shop, I did work experience there and will be getting his recommendations.

I'm just too angry to type a full fledged reply now, sorry.
Image
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

Post Reply