Budget Gaming PC Advice

You asked for it, you got it. Dave is here so that you can write about other topics. This is not restricted to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Trading Card Games, Video Games, or any other topic specific to the site.
Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist

Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Darksoul » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 pm

So I finally managed to get myself a decent job, 2 actually, the first as an apprentice waiter and the second as a store assistant.

I'm looking into building a budget gaming pc that would hopefully last me 3 or 4 years for casual gaming or even possible university use. (I may just get a laptop for that)

I'm going through PC Case Gear. The desired budget was 1500 but I've gotten 1620 all up, including postage, as I decided I may as well be better off spending the extra bit of money purchasing a 4 GB graphics card as opposed to a 2 GB.

Deepcool Kendomen ATX Mid Tower Chassis Red - $65 (Comes with 5 preinstalled fans which I find really nice)

Gigabyte H170-HD3 Motherboard - $155 (Supports M.2 connections which can boast up to 32 GB/s read speed, not too sure about write speed though)

Intel Core i5 6400 - $269 (Cheapest i5 available, most games these days have a quad core minimum)

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2A2400C16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 Black - $89 (8GB is nice for casual gaming, should get a solid 45 FPS on most games)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC 4GB - $235 (Was originally going to go with a 2 GB, but I figured 4 GB is nice for the additional 50 dollars)

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB SSD - $179 (32 GB/s is dreamy compared to the laptop I'm using now. Will hold Windows 10 and a game or 2)

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200RPM - $99 (2 TB of additional storage for movies, music and other things)

Be Quiet! System Power 8 600W Power Supply - $79 (Not too much to say here, just a standard 600W PSU)

BenQ GW2470H 23.8in Widescreen VA LED Monitor - $199 (Multiple ports on the monitor for easy access, potential to add a stereo to computer)

Cougar Attack X3 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry Red - $129 (Matches the red and black theme, mechanical means more key presses)

MSI Interceptor DS B1 Optical Gaming Mouse Black - $29 (A cheap red and black mouse really)

Total: $1,527 with an additional $91 for postage.

So yeah, please review this build and tell me what you think. I currently have 500 stashed away so I'm a third of the way there XD
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Rare

Re: Budget Gaming PC Advice

Post by Zanrith » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 am

Is that AUS or USD?

I would upgrade the 1050 and the 6400. Unless you NEED the M.2 SSD for 10 gigabit ethernet or for whatever reason, I would just get a lower cost sata one now and upgrade in the future to an NVMe drive as costs come down. Why do you need a $200 panel? Higher refresh rate? You can find $100 1080p monitors pretty easily.

Would get a lower cost keyboard too. If you're looking for mechanical keys you can get a good keyboard for lower cost. I personally value a good mouse over a good keyboard and would invest more into the mouse when building from scratch.

Have you also considered the cost of windows? are you running linux with an nvidia card?

I can suggest a parts list if you have a specific list of stuff you'll be doing with this pc and specific games you'll be running, along with color scheme.
Minecraft server: [PM for being added to whitelist + IP]

Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by Darksoul » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 am

Australian dollars, I prefer to shop through PC Case Gear as they are located 500 km away from me in the great city of Melbourne.

A 1050 is completely fine for what I am doing, if not slightly overkill. I can see myself playing Diablo 3, SWTOR/SWKOTOR, CSGO and Minecraft amongst using the computer for movies and whatever else I need.

It's probably going to take me a few months to save the 1600 required to purchase the machine itself. How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing M.2 supported tech?

Preferably I wanted 2k resolution on the monitor, however I find the addition of ports attractive, I want to play music, loudly.

The only reason I'm spending so much on the peripherals is because they're matching my theme of black and red. :lol:

Windows 10 Home can't be more than 100, surely.

If you want to suggest a list of parts then go ahead, the color theme I want is red and black. It would be for casual gaming, i really don't see myself playing anything that high end. I may end up getting Steam.

Another website I would like to use is MSY as they're located in Adelaide, however I couldn't find their parts list for some unknown reason.

Never really tried any linux distributions, not sure why.
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Rare

Post by Zanrith » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Darksoul wrote: A 1050 is completely fine for what I am doing, if not slightly overkill. I can see myself playing Diablo 3, SWTOR/SWKOTOR, CSGO and Minecraft amongst using the computer for movies and whatever else I need.
As long as you're at 1080p. You probably won't be able to run games that far into the future though.
Darksoul wrote: It's probably going to take me a few months to save the 1600 required to purchase the machine itself. How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing M.2 supported tech?
I mean, there's no real reason right now to pay the premium of doing NVMe M.2 or U.2 if you're just gaming. A SATA SSD should cost you less and you can spend the money elsewhere. When those standards become more and more widely used and the prices drop, then there shouldn't be a problem going over to M.2 or U.2. Don't get me wrong, NVMe M.2 drives are amazing, and I'm trying to upgrade to one myself right now, but it's not something I would recommend for your first build, especially since the standard is newer and comes with a higher price.
Darksoul wrote: Preferably I wanted 2k resolution on the monitor, however I find the addition of ports attractive, I want to play music, loudly.
Again, not something I can agree with, but can see the reasons behind why you chose it. I would personally get a $100-$120 panel with some $20-40 speakers. I've spent only around $300 USD on all 4 of my monitors and got a decent speaker used on craigslist for $20. I can see the justification for buying a $200 panel if it had a higher refresh rate or supported freesync/gsync or had a higher resolution, but for a 1080p 60 hz panel, I don't see it.
Darksoul wrote: The only reason I'm spending so much on the peripherals is because they're matching my theme of black and red. :lol:
Black/Red is a very common theme in PCs. You shouldn't have to pay $150 for a decent keyboard+mouse. You can also get RGB stuff which is becoming more and more popular.
Darksoul wrote:Never really tried any linux distributions, not sure why.
Darksoul wrote:Windows 10 Home can't be more than 100, surely.
So why not factor Windows into your build cost?
Minecraft server: [PM for being added to whitelist + IP]

Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by Darksoul » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:34 am

Zanrith wrote:
Darksoul wrote: A 1050 is completely fine for what I am doing, if not slightly overkill. I can see myself playing Diablo 3, SWTOR/SWKOTOR, CSGO and Minecraft amongst using the computer for movies and whatever else I need.
As long as you're at 1080p. You probably won't be able to run games that far into the future though.
Darksoul wrote: It's probably going to take me a few months to save the 1600 required to purchase the machine itself. How long would you recommend waiting before purchasing M.2 supported tech?
I mean, there's no real reason right now to pay the premium of doing NVMe M.2 or U.2 if you're just gaming. A SATA SSD should cost you less and you can spend the money elsewhere. When those standards become more and more widely used and the prices drop, then there shouldn't be a problem going over to M.2 or U.2. Don't get me wrong, NVMe M.2 drives are amazing, and I'm trying to upgrade to one myself right now, but it's not something I would recommend for your first build, especially since the standard is newer and comes with a higher price.
Darksoul wrote: Preferably I wanted 2k resolution on the monitor, however I find the addition of ports attractive, I want to play music, loudly.
Again, not something I can agree with, but can see the reasons behind why you chose it. I would personally get a $100-$120 panel with some $20-40 speakers. I've spent only around $300 USD on all 4 of my monitors and got a decent speaker used on craigslist for $20. I can see the justification for buying a $200 panel if it had a higher refresh rate or supported freesync/gsync or had a higher resolution, but for a 1080p 60 hz panel, I don't see it.
Darksoul wrote: The only reason I'm spending so much on the peripherals is because they're matching my theme of black and red. :lol:
Black/Red is a very common theme in PCs. You shouldn't have to pay $150 for a decent keyboard+mouse. You can also get RGB stuff which is becoming more and more popular.
Darksoul wrote:Never really tried any linux distributions, not sure why.
Darksoul wrote:Windows 10 Home can't be more than 100, surely.
So why not factor Windows into your build cost?
So basically I had this really long reply but my computer crashed and I lost it.

I'm going to be talking to my friend who owns the local computer shop, I did work experience there and will be getting his recommendations.

I'm just too angry to type a full fledged reply now, sorry.