Silly Idea - MagiYugiMon

You asked for it, you got it. Dave is here so that you can write about other topics. This is not restricted to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Trading Card Games, Video Games, or any other topic specific to the site.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare

Silly Idea - MagiYugiMon

Post by MysticJhn » Wed May 31, 2017 12:00 am

This is a silly concept, although probably one that's been thought of before.
What if you tried to play a combined Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon card game?
Would it be possible to translate or combine the rule sets and still have it make sense?
If such a combined set of rules has been designed before, link it here if you can and we can discuss them.
I assume any rules ever thought up to mix the games would pre-date the concept of Link Summons,
so how would you blend Link Summons into the mixed game rules?
Would you be forced to choose one of the 3 to play, or could you mix different brands into the same deck/library?
Let me know what you guys think.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Re: Silly Idea - MagiYugiMon

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Never seen anything on the internet about this, too many factors to juggle to make one cohesive game. Your best bet is bringing stat/effects from one game into another games rules/regulations.

i.e. pokemon into yugioh
multiplying pokemon card attack stats (40-100 range) into yugioh atk/def stats (1000-3000 range) would be necessary.
You could use pokemons type matchup as built in equip spells to add attack power when battling different types of monsters. (aqua +300 atk to pyro etc)
Evolving pokemon would mean tribute summoning the evolved monster on top of the previous form or special summoning similar to LV yugioh monsters.

With something like this there are so many angles to consider so it's hard to come up with something satisfying, still I though this post deserved a response.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:18 pm

I think instead of multiplying Pokemon stats, I'd divide YuGiOh monster stats by 10, and then multiply the Magic creature stats by 100.
I think that would be a good starting point to level the stats, and perhaps some tweaking would need to be done from there.
Magic has that summoning sickness rule that would work wonders when applied to YuGiOh,
I don't know if Pokemon's TCG has any such relatable rules, but apply it there as well.
Both Magic and Pokemon require 60 cards, and while Yugioh only requires 40 cards, it does allow up to 60, so just requiring exactly 60 cards would be fine.

Before diving into the effects, it would be best to just square off the basics of deck building and what Types and Attributes and Mana, etc. means to other game cards.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:26 am

I was just thinking, you'd have to set up what is equivalent to what.
For instance, Monsters Cards, creatures, and Pokemon are all considered the same thing.
Artifacts and Equip Spells would be considered the same thing.
Of course Graveyards, graveyards, and discard piles are the same.
Planeswalker cards and Trainer cards as well, maybe? I don't know Magic or Pokemon much at all.
Maybe equate Pokemon Types with Yu-Gi-Oh Types.
There's a few already that are exactly the same word.
Match up colors of mana with Attributes such as fire/red, water/blue, dark/black, light/white, earth/green, wind/colorless. (?)
Divine would still be it's own thing and wouldn't matter much since there's so few Divine monsters.

Such combined rules needs to cover such things so the different game cards can interact.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 am

You're definitely in the right direction for translating all the nomenclature,

I think it would be easier to make a game where you only use one type of monster (monsters/pokemon/creatures) and only one type of support (spell/artifacts/trainer)....wouldnt be as fun but you could get an easier game out of it.

Which game would you base the core playstyle around, probably yugioh? with elements of pokemon and magic added in?

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Persoanlly I'd make Yu-Gi-Oh a base and chop in Magic and Pokemon, but that's mostly because I know YuGiOh the best of the three.
Ideally the rules would be the brainchild of a group of people who know the different aspects of each game.
I would actually remove from the game any instant win conditions like Exodia.
I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) such a thing even exists in Magic or Pokemon TCG.
Frankly, instant free wins don't really have a place in any serious game.
I mean, Exodia literally only exists because Yugi needed a deus ex machina to defeat Kaiba's actual better deck,
and even the anime didn't keep using it after the first time because it would be cheap.
So, yeah, throw out instant wins entirely.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:48 am

You'd have to throw out a lot of mechanics like that, I'm not even sure how fusion/extra deck would fit in. You might have to just place them in the deck and treat them as evolved forms if pokemon evolution was made a feature.
The best way to approach this practically, realistically, would be to take cards from each games first releases. i.e. Base, jungle, and fossil for pokemon, SDK, SDY, LOB, MRL, MRD, for yugioh and whatever magic's first sets were. Make it as simple as possible before trying to incorporate the new features of any of the games.

I do like the idea of incorporating pokemon's benched monsters, where you can have them on the field but they aren't the ones attacking (that might be off base im not familiar enough with the pokemon card game.) And (again might be off) magic's support cards could serve as energy cards - im told you need a ton of magic support cards of each type in a deck, not sure if thats accurate though.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 pm

I wouldn't even bother to look at the cards themselves before you figure a way to mesh the basic rules.
What you mentioned would be a second step, where you test how it actually plays, and then adjust the rules
when you find things that don't work the right way.
Like you said, some things just don't have an equivalent stat or function in the other card games, so those
rules might have to remain untouched.
Perhaps certain mechanics would require you to only use the proper game's cards.
Something like the upcoming Link Summoning would be hard to integrate into the other two games, as it's so unique to Yu-Gi-Oh.
Off the top of my head, perhaps an EX Evolution Pokemon can only be played in the Extra Monster Zone (EX Monster Zone?) or a zone
linked to by a Link Monster.
I mentioned earlier trainers and planeswalkers being considered the same thing, but Yu-Gi-Oh lacks those.
However, I think Field Spells serve a similar purpose to those two, so perhaps the Field Spell Zone could be a unified Field/Planeswalker/Trainer Zone.
Problem there is that I believe you can have multiple planeswalker and trainer cards on the field at once.
Again, off the top of my head, maybe Filed Spells are still restricted to that unified zone, and your first planeswalker or trainer
must go to that unified zone, but planeswalkers and trainers can also occupy the pendulum zones.

So really, the rules would have to be outlined in a specific order.
First and foremost, simply translating the card types and terms to the other two games.
See what's leftover after everything has been matched up to know what mechanics or card types or effects have no equivalent.
Secondly, the most basic rules such as turn structure and field layout.
I think all three games have an almost identical set of phases, but knowing how many cards are allowed on the field
and deciding where they properly go could be tricky.
Third would be playtesting constructed decks, not so much worrying about building them good as just making sure
to test different scenarios and see as many different mechanics as possible.
Fourth would be fine tuning the rules for any problems you come across in playtesting the game, including individual rulings.
Playtest again and again with every rule fine tuned until you get something that smoothly operates.
There is bound to be individual card rulings that the MagiYugiMon rules can't cover, but that would be far after the game is playable.

That's sort of why you'd need a council of people to create coherent rules.
It'd be too much for one person (without them going insane), and you'd need people who have expertise in the specific games.
Even if 1 person knows how to play all three, it would still be best to have others who knows the individual games better.
Nobody is ever an expert on all 3 card games unless they actually are insane (and have way too much time).

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Having EX pokemon (and other variants like mega evolutions) be treated as extra deck monsters would be interesting - and make them Linkable.
Maybe using field spells at first and then boosting them with planeswalker cards could work - in magic do your multiple cards take up separate slots or do they stack like energy cards on pokemon do?

It bums me out no one has gotten in on this discussion yet.

Maybe for arguments sake we should try to merge pokemon and yugioh together first, then add magic later. One thing at a time.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:32 am

See, I don't know much of anything about Magic, so I can't even answer your question.
This thread could definitely use a Magic player in it so that perhaps some form of basic, coherent rules could be outlined.