Moderation Discussion Thread

You asked for it, you got it. Dave is here so that you can write about other topics. This is not restricted to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Trading Card Games, Video Games, or any other topic specific to the site.
User avatar
dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 6534
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Dragons Graveyard
Contact:

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by dedoombringer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm

And yet you allow politics. They are the same evil after all.

User avatar
LewieGee
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 14195
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:17 am
Location: je suis la garre

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by LewieGee » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:34 pm

I think this is fair enough
:oops:

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm

dedoombringer wrote:And yet you allow politics. They are the same evil after all.
Politics are not a religion and political discussion still has to follow the forum rules.
The main difference here is that politics are not as personal.
You can sit here and debate actual facts when it comes to politics, while even debating any religion as a fact
is sure to upset someone, offend someone, or anger someone.

Political discussion still has to have merit to it.
You cannot sit here and troll entire political parties and call specific users morons.
As with any topic, it needs to be appropriate for all audiances and discussed in a civil manner.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
YCG Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Contact:

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by YCG Admin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:48 pm

dedoombringer wrote:And yet you allow politics. They are the same evil after all.
Anybody should be able to have a well mannered political discussion and not take opposing views personally. Unfortunately, that can't be said for religion. We have seen time and time again that folk take it very personally if you disagree with their faith. There is a different dynamic at play.

User avatar
dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 6534
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Dragons Graveyard
Contact:

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by dedoombringer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Lolololololol. Tell me how many political threads get locked compared to those that stay open. It's ridiculous to say they don't draw the same "I don't agree so go play with yourself" as religion does. Most politics are based on religion further insulting the people that don't win the political game.


But whatever, I could care less at this point.

User avatar
Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 11043
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by Zanrith » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:35 pm

It was probably just a matter of time before the rule was added anyway. If it wasn't doom it would have probably been someone else. We hadn't had a religious discussion like the one that was locked recently where literally everyone other than me would just make fun at doom for creating the thread, while I showed legitimate interest in what doom was saying, not because of making fun of what he had to say, but rather to hear what he believes in.
YCG isnt the place for it though and I think it was a great call by the staff to add the rule so it doesn't happen again and no one's feelings are hurt or beliefs are ridiculed.
When it comes to politics however, it is possible to have a political discussion by observing facts to try and talk about a political decision. While one's beliefs are involved in how political policy should be determined, that is usually taking one's religion into the discussion. We have also had plenty of political discussions in the past without them getting too out of hand by more than a couple of users.
insert clever signature here

User avatar
Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:12 am

Why did my post of "Alright" get deleted but Lewie posting "I think this is fair enough" didn't?
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm trying to limit the chatter in here, and a 1 word post in reply to who knows what got chopped.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:15 am

Is there any chance my thread will get unlocked? It's not much good me telling you that it wasn't made to beef with other users, it was just meant to be a bit of fun. It's not the kind of opinions that are an attack on anyone as you saw by the first, it just seems a bit unfair to lock a thread pre emptively. I'll take full concequences if it turns into something nasty, but I'll always try and take that to pm's if it does occur
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 am

To be perfectly honest, I didn't even find anything wrong with your first opinion handed out.
As I said when I locked the thread, nobody had broke a rule yet.
I don't even doubt you when you say you don't have any malicious intent in mind.

The thing is, even with the best of intentions, I've been around this forum as a mod long enough to know how things go.
People here (and online in general) tend to take things personally, and you might accidently say something that you
didn't intend to offend, but someone is going to take it wrong.
Then it might not even something you personally said, it could be a third party sticking their nose in on what you
said about someone else.
We orignally started the policy of locking goodbye threads after a week because people would stick around in those threads and cause fights.
We recently decided to ban religious chat because people take it too seriously to not get in fights.
Oftenly political discussions in the past have exploded angrily.
Those last two were problems and those aren't even direct personal attacks.
We decided to add the no shoutout rule a few years back because people were making threads about each other negatively.

Don't look at me locking this thread as any reflection of you.
It was locked in reflection of how this forum has worked in the past and how nasty
the internet can be against people with personal attacks in general.
Yes, this thread might have gone forever with only good times and friendly ribbing at worse.
I'm just too afraid of the opposite scenario.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
sgtc1
Parallel Rare Duelist
Posts: 4266
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am
Location: Go away.

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by sgtc1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Rowwdy Yisb wrote:Is there any chance my thread will get unlocked? It's not much good me telling you that it wasn't made to beef with other users, it was just meant to be a bit of fun. It's not the kind of opinions that are an attack on anyone as you saw by the first, it just seems a bit unfair to lock a thread pre emptively. I'll take full consequences if it turns into something nasty, but I'll always try and take that to pm's if it does occur

Idk if this would help but maybe you can tell people to just PM you and then you can give your thoughts on it. I honestly love the idea of the thread. We can all say our thoughts on people (only if they post or PM you saying that they would to) But if mystic wouldn't want you to tell people via a thread what's to stop a misunderstanding from happening via PM? Still tho just an idea. If he's fine with this, Mystic could maybe edit the post to let members PM you and u tell em your thoughts. If so do me next lolz. However, I wouldn't recommend doing anything if Mystic advises against it. I wouldn't mind telling other members my views on them either. In a respectful and friendly manner ofc. I only have good things to say about you all. Even those who don't feel the same way ;) ) But again I understand where Mystic is coming from. This would be to his discretion, and seeing how things go around here I wouldn't argue too much with him. ;)
Besides he usually makes a good point, and even if you disagree, better safe than sorry.
Image
"F*** being normal!" ~EMIN3M

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 pm

I'll just say whatever happens in PM, stays in PM.
If you guys argue in PM, I don't want to know about it. :P

You can report people through PMs, and I can see those reported PMs,
but otherwise that is all your private business.
I can only ask you to abide by the forum rules in PM, but that's between you and your PM buddies.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 9770
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:02 pm
Location: Throne of Heaven

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by Lord dragon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 pm

So if the other party consented I could have a illicit relationship in PM?
Image
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:14 am

Again, I don't want to know.
Plausible deniability.
If you get caught, though, I will be the law. :P
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

JOHNDOE27
Common Duelist
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: Moderation Discussion Thread

Post by JOHNDOE27 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 am

I made a post in Yu-Gi-Oh! Mobile about the yugioh minecraft server i'm admin on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Mobile part of the forum clearly states "A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps." so i'm at a loss why my forum post was removed.

Post Reply