Minecraft

This section is for any other computer or video game that does not have its own section listed above.
antsy8
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: Minecraft

Post by antsy8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:10 am

The whole jumpy thing isn't to do with frame rates, it mainly the internet connection. It's a minecraft thing... Also, if you're getting 30 fps, maybe you could use optifine, but that would require you to go to 1.8 instead of 1.8.3 meaning you can't use realms but you can still use servers which are in 1.8. This should make your frames hit at least 70-80. I got mine from 60 to like 200-300.
Image___________
*Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*
dedoombringer wrote:Doomster is when I "hulk" up and crush dragons.
Feel free to duel me on DN, name: antsyo

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Well since we share an internet connection and I don't have the same skippy FPS problem, it's not that.
His computer is just bad.
He recently had to so a system restore because it had gotten to a point where he could try to open his browser
and it would only open several minutes later.
Even after the reset, it's still not working right, and he just needs a new computer, really.

And I'm not having a framerate problem as far as I'm concerned.
I know 30 FPS is relatively low, but it still plays smoothly.
Actually, it gets up to 50 FPS if I'm playing windowed at it's default size, but I hate playing windowed,
so I always expand the window to fill the screen.
Minecraft will always lose FPS going full screen.
The internet connection has nothing to do with it, because I was getting the same framerate
when my internet was down the other night and I was playing offline.
I use an older, refurbished computer, and while it's excellent for every day use, it's probably not the best gaming rig on the planet. :P
I just checked, and while my computer meets all the minimum requirements, it's short of the recommended requirements.
That's why I run at 30 FPS, not the internet.
Particularly, my RAM and Video Card could use an upgrade.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Sorry to hear about the server, Zan.
On another note, I've made a few decisions about my own server that will be up by the end of 2015.
Worlds:
There will, for now, only be 2 worlds, Survival and Creative, because I simply don't have experience.

Plug-ins
McMMO
GriefPrevention

PvP will be off in survival except for 2 areas: a bridge and a small arena. Eventually, I intend to have a collosseum, but will taking my time so that it looks good.

Spawners will be retrievable, debating on creeper spammers or not.

Economy is fairly straight forward. Start with some money, sell its to buy items. Farming carrots will be the most profitable between farming, mining, or breeding.

Will probably set up a votifier so you get 1 diamond a day from voting

You'll be able to set up to 3 homes

Donating
Didn't want to do this, on principal,but I have to face facts. This won't be set up until later though. Rewards will be cumulative
$10
Iron rank
/hat
24 diamonds
2 cow eggs

$20
Gold Rank
/feed. Once every 2 hours.
5 horse eggs

$30
Redstone rank
1 Wolf egg
1 Skeleton Egg
5 homes instead of 3

$40
Lapiz Rank
1 Slime egg
15% off in-game store.

$50
Diamond Rank
1 Villager Egg
1 Blaze egg

$100
Dragon Rank
/feed is now 30 minutes
30% off in-store shop
1 Extra of each egg mentioned above
10 Dragon Eggs (not the spawn egg, the item)
25 bedrock blocks
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

antsy8
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by antsy8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Ahk, that fair mystic. Still, if your not using realms I suggest using optifine. I'll also allow you to use HD textures and increase the framerates so it's even smoother. I'm also guessing you made the framerates unlimited in the settings yes?
Image___________

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm

I left the framerate default.
I tried bumping it up, but that didn't change anything.
Seems there's no real point in allowing for a higher framerate if I can't even hit the default limit.

I also tried using the lower quality graphics, but that didn't really help much if any.

I really just need more RAM and a better graphics card.
I just don't have the finances right now to spend on beefing up my computer.

Also, the only thing that would make me want to play a lower version is trying out some fun mods.
I considered setting up a 1.7.10 profile so I can do some neat mods, but I think a lot of the Forge mods are currently updating for all the 1.8 things right now, so I was waiting a bit for that.
It would make flip-flopping between updated vanilla multiplayer and a modded singleplayer game easier.
1.8 was a pretty major update I believe, so it would be less jarring transition for me.

Speaking of updates, 1.9 is going to be quite interesting I believe.
It's now the "Combat Update", so they are working on improving the combat abilities.
I'm not sure exactly what will be changed, but Mojang is looking for input to avoid too many people complaining about changes.
People are always going to complain anyway, but they are trying to get it to a point people like.
Personally I don't see what you can do to the combat to improve it without making it over complicated.
Minecraft always has been a rather simple game, although blocking with the sword seems worthless.
You can hold down the right mouse button to block with a sword, but I'll be damned if I know what it's supposed to block.
lol, I can hold it down all day long, but it doesn't block arrows, it doesn't block melee hits, and it doesn't block ghast fireballs.
It doesn't even seem to reduce damage from anything.
For the life of me, I haven't ever found a use for using the block button with a sword. :P

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I should post this here in case you guys don't read this elsewhere.
Kris Jelbring wrote:In order to perform some much needed updates to our databases we have decided to schedule a maintenance session. It will take place Tuesday April 14 from 08:00 to 12:00 CEST (UTC+2).
During the maintenance period you will not be able to log in to Minecraft, Scrolls, or Cobalt. Most of our websites will also be unavailable. This does not affect Minecraft: Pocket Edition or the console editions of Minecraft.

We’re of course sorry about any inconvenience this may cause you. Rest assured that we would not be doing this unless it was absolutely necessary.
Quick Translation of the time;

New York City: 2am - 6am

London: 7am - 11am

Sydney: 4pm - 8pm

Los Angeles: 11pm (13th) - 3 am (14th)

So have something else to do during that time, although I assume you can still Minecraft Singleplayer offline.

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:24 am

Atumman105 wrote:[spoiler]Sorry to hear about the server, Zan.
On another note, I've made a few decisions about my own server that will be up by the end of 2015.
Worlds:
There will, for now, only be 2 worlds, Survival and Creative, because I simply don't have experience.

Plug-ins
McMMO
GriefPrevention

PvP will be off in survival except for 2 areas: a bridge and a small arena. Eventually, I intend to have a collosseum, but will taking my time so that it looks good.

Spawners will be retrievable, debating on creeper spammers or not.

Economy is fairly straight forward. Start with some money, sell its to buy items. Farming carrots will be the most profitable between farming, mining, or breeding.

Will probably set up a votifier so you get 1 diamond a day from voting

You'll be able to set up to 3 homes

Donating
Didn't want to do this, on principal,but I have to face facts. This won't be set up until later though. Rewards will be cumulative
$10
Iron rank
/hat
24 diamonds
2 cow eggs

$20
Gold Rank
/feed. Once every 2 hours.
5 horse eggs

$30
Redstone rank
1 Wolf egg
1 Skeleton Egg
5 homes instead of 3

$40
Lapiz Rank
1 Slime egg
15% off in-game store.

$50
Diamond Rank
1 Villager Egg
1 Blaze egg

$100
Dragon Rank
/feed is now 30 minutes
30% off in-store shop
1 Extra of each egg mentioned above
10 Dragon Eggs (not the spawn egg, the item)
25 bedrock blocks[/spoiler]
How do you intend to run this server? Are you hosting hardware yourself?
insert clever signature here

antsy8
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by antsy8 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 am

If you left it at default no wonder you're only getting 30 fps. The default caps at 30... Make it unlimited and it will go past 30.
Also, blocking does reduce damage by %50 I believe. This is any damage. So you can fall while blocking and take less damage. I think they are just re-balancing the combat, in one of the previous updates a while ago they introduced more damage in different areas, I think they are going to change that slightly, and also crits. Probably also increasing the enchantments slightly making them better.

I'm with zan on the server thingo, how are you going to run it?
Image___________

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 pm

I have a friend who is very experienced with running a server, and he will be helping me get it set up. He's actually going to set up a temp server to teach me the basics. For the most part, he'll be the one to take care of the technical aspects. I'm using ggservers to host it.
Also, mystic, here's the wiki page in blocking

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Blocking ... Setup=true
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!

Zanrith

Post by Zanrith » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm not a big fan of hosting in the cloud since the prices seem very low, but add up over time.
It's easier for me to host it myself for several reasons,
-Hardware Changes
-Not paying for electric bill (apartment)
-*most* of the hardware is repurposed ewaste that still works really well (seriously, I am surprised at the amount of stuff that goes to waste that works perfectly fine. I guess that's what happens when you live in an area with a lot of rich people, they don't understand the value of some of these things like the rest of us.)
For you, it would be ideal, I guess. Out of personal experience with one of my friends who used cloud hosting, it was convenient for him to edit things on the website from anywhere in the world. With my server, for example, I have remote desktop connection available, but it isn't as convenient as say, a web browser.
Edit:
After looking at the website, the server I built myself for almost free is about equivalent to their "redstone plan" server, charging $18 per month. What kind of server are you looking to get here?
insert clever signature here

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:55 pm

antsy8 wrote:If you left it at default no wonder you're only getting 30 fps. The default caps at 30... Make it unlimited and it will go past 30.
None of this is true.
My current max frame rate is 200, and still capping out at around 30 full screen (50 if I play windowed, but I hate windowed).
I must have left the frame rate up, but the default, if I remember right, was around 120 I think.
Still, changing max frame rate isn't changing anything because I'm not even hitting the maximum.

As for blocking, it might technically decrease damage, but I never felt like it was doing anything in actual practice.
It just seems better to constantly attack instead of wasting time blocking.
When I can kill a skeleton in 3 hits with a basic iron sword, it's dead before I need to block.

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Zanrith wrote:I'm not a big fan of hosting in the cloud since the prices seem very low, but add up over time.
It's easier for me to host it myself for several reasons,
-Hardware Changes
-Not paying for electric bill (apartment)
-*most* of the hardware is repurposed ewaste that still works really well (seriously, I am surprised at the amount of stuff that goes to waste that works perfectly fine. I guess that's what happens when you live in an area with a lot of rich people, they don't understand the value of some of these things like the rest of us.)
For you, it would be ideal, I guess. Out of personal experience with one of my friends who used cloud hosting, it was convenient for him to edit things on the website from anywhere in the world. With my server, for example, I have remote desktop connection available, but it isn't as convenient as say, a web browser.
Edit:
After looking at the website, the server I built myself for almost free is about equivalent to their "redstone plan" server, charging $18 per month. What kind of server are you looking to get here?
My friend said he can make it work with their Gold plan

MysticJhn wrote:
antsy8 wrote:If you left it at default no wonder you're only getting 30 fps. The default caps at 30... Make it unlimited and it will go past 30.
None of this is true.
My current max frame rate is 200, and still capping out at around 30 full screen (50 if I play windowed, but I hate windowed).
I must have left the frame rate up, but the default, if I remember right, was around 120 I think.
Still, changing max frame rate isn't changing anything because I'm not even hitting the maximum.

As for blocking, it might technically decrease damage, but I never felt like it was doing anything in actual practice.
It just seems better to constantly attack instead of wasting time blocking.
When I can kill a skeleton in 3 hits with a basic iron sword, it's dead before I need to block.
Do you at least have OptiFine?
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:16 pm

No, I didn't, and am not going to, download optifine.
I keep telling you guys, my computer just needs an upgrade.
I'm barely over the minimum requirements for Minecraft, which results in minimal performance.

Also, just read that that no matter how high you turn up your frame rate, it will cap out at the refresh rate of your monitor.
So no matter what frame rate Minecraft is telling you you're getting, it's all being wasted if your monitor can't display that fast.
You should actually match your frame rate to your monitor's Mhz ideally, as anything higher is computing power you're throwing away.
That's probably why mine was defaulted at 120 FPS max, although I need to find what my monitor's Mhz is.
I actually have a nice monitor, so it should be decently high.

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:22 pm

MysticJhn wrote:No, I didn't, and am not going to, download optifine.
Then you won't, and will not, have good performance.
Believe me, even if you have a good computer OptiFine is almost a requirement for MC.
Ask Nash, my computer shouldn't be able to run Minecraft. It predates it. But with optifine, I actually can. What the heck do you have to lose?
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Because I don't have a problem playing the game.
Also, I found a way to check, and my monitor is 60 Hertz, which means it shouldn't really go over 60 FPS and anything higher is a waste.
From what I've been reading, that's pretty standard for a LCD monitor, and trying to artificially go higher than that is actually bad.
So reguardless of how high I set the Max Framerate cap or any framerate Minecraft is telling me, I cannot possibley see higher than 60 FPS realistically.
So even if I did use OptiFine and it got me to over 100 FPS, it will never display all that and it's just wasting computing power.
Even if I had an FPS of over 9000, I'm realistically still only seeing 60 at most.

Like I just read, if your FPS is over your monitor's actual Hertz, it's artificial. You're not getting the framerate you think you are.