A Consistency Formula for all decks

Here is the place to share about any great strategies that you've come up with or that have been used against you.
NoSwagALLMojo
Ultra Rare Duelist

A Consistency Formula for all decks

Post by NoSwagALLMojo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:11 am

As most of us know, consistency is the key to any deck once you have got the basics of the deck down and your a experienced player. No deck EVER wins tournaments without being consistent, therefore we need a way (quick and without dueling) to test consistency of decks.

From that I take the most randomized way of shuffling possible, the always so mischaevious pile shuffle.

We can use a 6 by 6 format (meaning 6 piles on top and 6 on bottom) to use this. Before you start pile shuffling in this format, organize your deck in such way.

1. 3 Copies of monsters with effects not shown otherwise in your deck at 3 copies in your deck (ex..monsters that increase attack, change mode, increase/de lifepoints....mine is Botanical Lion)
2. 3 Copies of the main monsters in your deck, or key. (ex..D-Hero Malicious in last format tele-dad or DAD if you didnt use Malicious)
3. 2-3 Copies of beatstick monster.....if you dont neccesarily have one skip this.........mine is Tytannial
4. 2-3 copies of any other monster/s....essentially random or would fit into the first catagory if you ran 3 copies, or if you do, you pickeed the other one instead.
5. Tuners
6. Monsters that special summon in some type of way, generally only 1 maybe 2 copies, but remember WE ARE PUTTING THE # OF EACH IN DESENDING ORDER, so if you have less tuners then this, put this before the tuners.
7. Searchers/draw power.....seachers meaning add to hand from the deck.

There is what you do with your monster lineup.

Spells

1. 3 Copies of main spell engine, if you dont have one, skip it, I do not have one.
2. 2 Copies of spells you use two copies of....not neccesarily in any order.
3. Staples (Brain Control, Trunade, MST, Reborn, Heavy
4. 1 Copie of random spell cards...no certain order.

Traps

1. 2-3 Copies of field removal...(ex. Bottomless and PWWB)
2. 2-3 Solemns/negation.....of course skip if not used.
3. Staples (Mirror Force, and Torrential)
4. Others

Ok, so you have your deck organized starting in this order ^^, and with your monsters first, spells second, and traps last. The monsters you use 3 Copies (hopefully your using 3 of something -_-) are first, then second, and etc...in that order.

Then you do the 6 by 6 pile shuffle, draw 6 cards and then RATE YOU HAND. This does not mean to record the cards drawn, but to rate it out of 10.

When rating, use questions like this.

Do I have a answer to my opponents move? Like Bottomless...MST...etc..
Do I have a GOOD opening monster? Like Ryko for LS/Lumina + Garoth, or a Lonefire
Do I have a follow up for next turn? Meaning do I still have a live hand after this turn
Should I play conservative or more agressive with this hand? USUALLY, not always, playing agressive includes something like Cold Wave/Heavy or some way to asure your opponent will not interfere with your plays
Do I have any 2-6 card combos with this hand? Only ones that will essentially gain card advantage
Do I have any good one for ones (not the card) in this hand?

Rate it and record it.

Then, WITHOUT putting your deck into the order you started with, do it over about 10-20 times. Then average your rating out and see your result. Ultimately, this can also even tell if your deck is straight up good or not.

Rate yourself like its someone you do not know.

check this for some rating guidelines.

0-3 : I have no plays.....nothing to play..maybe 1 spell card or something......bad hand
4 : I might be able to summon a monster, but I have no follow up, and/or nothing to stop my opponent
5-6 : Generally bad hand, you might draw 1 piece of a combo, or have a weak follow-up. This hand will not create any net advantage
7 - Alright I can use this, decent and playable, nothing special, I have a key combo/card and a weaker follow up with it, but I can still create a couple 1-1s and can certainly still win
8 - I have a searcher card, I can get something out of my deck (usually), or I can almost gurantee myself I can make card advantage and possibly deal my opponent some damage. This hand will include 1 staple.
9 - This hand can only be defeated if my opponent has a great hand, or I am a bad player. With this hand you have the cards to be flexible, and can adapt for your opponent's move. You could play slighty agressive with this.
10 - God hand, I just sacked you and yea I literally do have 2 JDs, 2 Charge of the Light Brigade, Heavy Storm, and Monster Reborn in my hand. This hand usually wins in 1-3 turns and is referred to as a "sack". Just meaning you got lucky, you will definitely know when you draw it.

Ok, my deck is currently in the middle of this, trying it out and hopefully you do to.

fleeing_escapee
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: A Consistency Formula for all decks

Post by fleeing_escapee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:21 am

I think the opponent gets the last shuffle.

NoSwagALLMojo
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by NoSwagALLMojo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:23 am

The idea is not determine what cards you will draw, but what type of hand and how good you will generally start off with.

Your not like stacking here...

EvilGod10
Card Ruling Guru

Post by EvilGod10 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:49 am

No offence but your deck guide is a load of Poop.
My Anti-Meta deck (someone bloody Net-Decked it off pojo) came th is aussie nats and had no SSing, No Brain Control, MST, Heavy, Trunade ect...

Let me tell you now NO formular works for every deck. It is a fact.
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

NoSwagALLMojo
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by NoSwagALLMojo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:53 am

evilgod10 wrote:No offence but your deck guide is a load of Poop.
My Anti-Meta deck (someone bloody Net-Decked it off pojo) came th is aussie nats and had no SSing, No Brain Control, MST, Heavy, Trunade ect...

Let me tell you now NO formular works for every deck. It is a fact.
Then organize it in a different way, skip the parts with special summoning and the staples.

I said mutiple times, if you dont have these then skip them. I realize a lot of decks dont use certain cards......SO you skip that part......

EvilGod10
Card Ruling Guru

Post by EvilGod10 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:07 am

But the thing is, you're making it sound like every deck must follow that formula if it wants to consistent, but you don't. You should say this is just a basic template, and that some decks won't follow this formula, because you could end up making the deck worse if you follow this. I know 2 of my decks would.

crucio299
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by crucio299 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 am

Some kind of good way to test the deck consistency, though I'll prefer seeing it through matches :D

Best to use this guide for OTK/FTK decks I guess, but again, it's easy to see if it's consistent or not through matches. Other than that, good job :)

EvilGod10
Card Ruling Guru

Post by EvilGod10 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:01 am

Even then, most OTK decks will have little to no traps and little to no negation.
Most will use a high Spell Count or a high monster count, or medium of both.
This guide is more for tier 2 decks I would say.

fleeing_escapee
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by fleeing_escapee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 pm

i think this is what people generally do when they make a new deck out of spare cards, before the goldfish/match it with other people decks.

EvilGod10
Card Ruling Guru

Post by EvilGod10 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Not me, I just take every single card I have that could be remotely useful and go from there.

Cencil45
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by Cencil45 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49 am

Hey this sounds like fun, although mine would get screwed cuz I use three Hero Kids, and three Giant Germs. They help deck thin, but if I use this, A hand of 3 Giant Germs and 2 Hero Kids, isn't gonna serve me too well.

Akirus
Secret Rare Duelist

Akirus' Perfected Consistency Guide vEX

Post by Akirus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:39 am

Hey, I have a better guide for testing deck consistency:

1. Build it
2. PLAY with it
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

*Notes: May experience difficulties if you are a hermit.

NoSwagALLMojo
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by NoSwagALLMojo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:58 am

^^ Post.

Yes but the point of this is to do it fast, and without needing other people.

The Guy who keeps flaming : Ok fail.

EvilGod10
Card Ruling Guru

Post by EvilGod10 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:12 am

I hope your not talking to me. I have gone through more decks in yugioh than you can imagine. I make laughable decks tournament worthy.
My Toon deck came 3rd in a tournament on DMU, so I think I know what I am talking about.

NoSwagALLMojo
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by NoSwagALLMojo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 am

evilgod10 wrote:I hope your not talking to me. I have gone through more decks in yugioh than you can imagine. I make laughable decks tournament worthy.
My Toon deck came 3rd in a tournament on DMU, so I think I know what I am talking about.
Uh DMU is a joke....I got 2nd in a tourny there using burn....that place is horrible.

"Um, Yes I am a from a noob site with terrible players, I used my Poop outdated deck and got 2nd. Does this mean anything?" No.

Have you done anything in real life? Such as getting 21st place at a regionals using a tier 2 deck under 100$?