Flower Cardian

Here is a great place to discuss your favorite monster and effect monster cards.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare

Flower Cardian

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:54 am

It's official.
Yu-Gi-Oh has so many cards now, an entire archetype can slip passed me without notice.
I've never heard of these until now and never seen anyone play them in any capacity.
Probably because I didn't watch Arc-V I never saw them, but they were used by such a minor character anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen... Flower Cardians.
They are so little known/used/talked about that nobody even realized this card guide has no archetype section for them.
They exist on the card guide, but nobody thought to give them an archetype page.

By all means, discuss anything you know or don't know about them here.
Is this news to anyone besides me?

For instance, I ran into them looking at DARK Warrior-Type monsters, and when I saw this archetype,
I just had a very confused look on my face.
Wha..?!
Dark Warriors? These?
Wha... where did... when? HUH!?

I kind of want to try them out, but they are so strange I wouldn't even be sure where to start.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

xion52998
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: Flower Cardian

Post by xion52998 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 am

They work by summoning themselves, and drawing a lot of cards, then gain effects if you drew a Cardian. They are treated as level 2 when synchro summoning with them, so your goal is to summon as many Cardian Lightflares as possible, while drawing a bunch of cards. But as one of their best cards is a level 6 synchro that extends their plays, they have been hit hard by master rule 4 because they need multiple synchros out to function and are xenophobic with their effects.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Yeah, I did see all that between the Wikia and just staring at the cards, but I was more befuddled because it's an entire archetype I didn't know existed, and couldn't tell by their effects or Levels which ones you'd want to run in multiples.
You know, usually you want more low Level monsters because the high Levels are the Special Summoned bosses and mid-bosses.
However, MOST of them are mid-high Level, which ruins my standard deck building sense.
lol, I was REALLY confused when I saw their Tuner was a Level 6, but then I saw their Synchros were only Levels 6-10 and all required multiple non-Tuners.
Only until I read the effects that made them all be treated as Level 2 did it make sense, bu before then I was all "How can I make this with 3 non-Tuners? The only low Levels they got are Level 1s, and there's only 2 of them. Do I need a lot of these 2 Level 1s?"

I also realized, once I got over how strange they were, that the new mechanics really handcuff them, but what's even worse is that because they are so weird and self contained, being near impossible to mix with other things, you'd have to force a Link 3 or 4 in there, and that would be ugly.

Still, these were so unknown and strange to me, that it's good I discovered them first through random searching.
If I ran into these first in a duel, I'd be so lost.
Heck, I can get lost with the endless effects of regular cards these days, so much text and multiple effects to read through.
With these, in a duel, I'd be busy not only looking at the effects, but then mesmerized by their weird names and artwork.
DARK Warriors... that still gets me.

Seriously, though.
Have you EVER seen them played for real?
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on this forum to ever make a topic about them (I'll have to search to confirm that).
I have never even seen them mentioned.

EDIT: Confirmed. This topic is literally the only mention of them on this whole forum ever.
"Cardian" only comes up in one more post, an announcement made by YCG Admin for the Invasion: Vengence booster pack.
It's in the copy and pasted list of new support.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 am

WOW!
I tried building a deck with these and playing them, and holy wow, I drowned myself in effects.
Luckily I played against a very understanding and helpful duelist who was playing a BLS/Gaia Ritual Deck.
I actually won despite some of my own misplays when I forgot effects or things had to be pointed out to me that I just didn't see.

The deck decidedly needs to be monster heavy, although I can see now some of which cards are needed more than others.
They actually use Link Monsters somewhat okay considering they spam the field, and so it opens up the main monster zone for the Synchros.
I'm going to need more Links, though.
My idea for the extra deck was just to put 3x all their synchro monsters, which gave me 12 cards, only room for 3 synchros.
I took out 2 cards to make room for another Link and Stardust since any even level
generic synchro is easy to make and they have no inherent protection.

I quickly learned to always Link first so as not to jam myself up.
If you love flooding the field with little monsters to make a nice big 5000 ATK beater that banishes
while playing 1000+ effects per turn, it's a fun deck.

Unfortunately, my playstyle is slow, old fashioned, and basic, so it was hard for me to get a handle on.
It was like a mountain biker trying a mechanical bull for the first time.