"Prinzessin"

Here is a great place to discuss your favorite monster and effect monster cards.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

"Prinzessin"

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:20 am

Or, as the whole world and even the anime knows it as, Cinderella.

This isn't a topic about her effects or mechanics or use in the game.
This is a personal gripe about the name of the card.

Konami, while more than happy to use her proper name in Japan, has bowed to the Big Bad Mouse and called her Prinzessin in the TCG.
Even though the name Cinderella is PUBLIC DOMAIN around the world, NOT an original Disney name
and therefore allowed to be used by anyone in the world free of charge, they wimped out and called it Prinzessin.
Prinzessin being the German word for princess and Cinderella being originally a German fairy tale.

This is a weak move, especially considering the English anime already called her Cinderella! [Episode 192]
That's right, the usually censor-happy 4-kids were brave enough to use the name Cinderella for this card,
and yet Konami, a bigger company with far more money, cowered in fear of Disney and opted for a generic German name.

Shenanigans I say!
We all know who it is, Konami, there's no point in hiding it.
Disney doesn't own that name, it can never sue you for that name, and as long as you don't use their original artwork, they can't touch you.
I've had to swallow a lot of bad English renames in my time playing this game, but this one actually loses respect from me.
I spit on Konami's cowardice, and everyone in reality should call her Cinderella and totally refuse to use Prinzessin.

I am just disgusted.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

yusei-oh
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: "Prinzessin"

Post by yusei-oh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:04 pm

or maybe they thought they were being clever?

they did the same thing with "skyfang brigade" by calling them "fur hire"
If you're Christian and not afraid to admit it, Put this in your sig! God FTW!!!

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Nah, it's not a case of being clever, as all the other cards in the archetype retained their name.
Even Glass Slippers, which is even more Disney than Cinderella considering the original fairy tale used gold slippers
(although glass slippers aren't unique to Disney either).

And if it is a case of being clever, why is it just a generic word for princess when Yu-Gi-Oh already has a billion named "princess" cards?
The only reason to make it German is to avoid naming conflicts with existing cards.
I'd like to see what they title the German release of this card, as the German TCG "princess" cards already use "prinzessin" in their name.

EDIT: Oddly enough, the German card really is just Prinzessin as well.

Rotkiv77
Rare Duelist

Post by Rotkiv77 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 am

It’s a legal problem actually for a product like this they can either use the likeness of the disney movie or the name because diney does own the blue dress version of cinderella also you can see this with universal and their dracula portraial unless it’s in a cartoon if someone makes a movie using their version of dracula they could sue and get all the money that movie makes the same way with this card disney could sue and force konami to change the art and now it makes even less sense while in the show it’s not the selling point so it’s fine to call it Cinderella for another example you can see the captain marvel situation over with marvel and DC

Their are two heroes Captain Marvel (shazam) who is owned by DC and it’s the older of the two characters and their’s Captian Marvel (Mar Vel, Carol Danvers) who was created in the 60s while shazam was made in the 40s to compite with superman so DC sued fawsett comics the creators of Shazam and won later buying Shazam then marvel came around created Captain Marvel and bought the rights to the name for promotion so even though Shazam is onlder DC can’t use the name Captain Marvel as a title to a comic a way to promote the character etc. But they can use the name Captain Marvel as the name of the character so yeah Copyright is fun and actually not it’s a [bleep] and no one can ever win

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:37 am

See, there's a problem with your Captain Marvel argument, and that's the fact that an entity does own the name to Captain Marvel.
That is why Shazam has to be called Shazam.
As long as Marvel Comics continues to print comics with the Captain Marvel name, DC cannot legally use it.
This is why Marvel has printed lame versions of Captain Marvel over the years (until the rise in fame of Ms. Marvel, who became Captain Marvel)
and recycling the name over and over.
It's 100% so DC couldn't use the name.

This is a different case, as Cinderella is not a copyrighted name and cannot be copyrighted.
It is in the public domain and anyone can (and has) make an animated movie about that story.
The only thing Disney owns is their version of the artwork. Their Cinderella.
Sleeping Beauty actually falls under the same public domain, which is why Disney's Sleeping Beauty is specifically named Princess Aurora.
Anyone can call their story and character Sleeping Beauty, but Princess Aurora is specially owned by Disney.
Disney themselves learned this lesson years ago, which is why they stopped naming their movies
directly after the public domain fairy tales and started giving them original titles.
For instance, Tangled is based off the story Rapunzel.
Anyone in the world can use the title Rapunzel, but only Disney has the rights to Tangled.
The Princess in tangled actually is Rapunzel, but you cannot use the Tangled Rapunzel.
The same for Frozen. Frozen is based off a story in the public domain called the Snow Queen.
You are allowed to make a Snow Queen movie, you cannot make a Frozen movie.
I believe Beauty and the Beast is also a similar copyright problem, which is why Disney's version has a girl named Belle.
Belle from Beauty and the Beast is specifically Disney, but the main concept itself of Beauty and the Beast isn't.
So the difference between a copyrighted name and a public domain name is something Disney learned very well over the years.

Disney's copyright only comes in question if you clearly copy THIS Cinderella.
The artwork (and specific version of the script) is what has a copyright, not the name Cinderella itself.
Frankly, if Disney tried to copyright claim Cinderella, they'd be laughed out of court.
Cinderella existed long before Disney was a thing.

Now while the artwork for this card is similar to Disney's, it's clearly a different version, and Disney has no grounds.
This is why the Yu-Gi-Oh anime and 4-kids could get away with using the name (and they did in episode 192).

I could literally sell a storybook right now of Cinderella and as long as I don't draw Disney's Cinderlla, there's nothing they can do about it.
If you want proof, just search Amazon.com for "Cinderella" and just see how many non-Disney animations and books come up.

With all their global corporate power, I'm pretty sure Konami has more influence than this one
small animation studio called "PlumTum" I just found selling their own animated Cinderalla and could easily defend the card name.

They simply chose to bow before the Walt's Big Mouse and rename the card.
What's really stupid is that the Japanese card is called Cinderella, and Disney certainly has no lack of influence in Japan.

Rotkiv77
Rare Duelist

Post by Rotkiv77 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:04 pm

True and maybe someone in the legal department of konami got chicken[scared] and noone else cared enough to changed it back i mean i do agree prinzessin is a really stupid name
Last edited by MysticJhn on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Censored swear.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Well all I got left to say is that nobody else on the planet is modernly afraid to use the name Cinderella.
Animated.
Live action.
Illustrated book.

Just Konami.