Card Set: Velocity Philosophy [VEPH]

All of the finalized cards are in this board.
Akirus
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: Card Set Submission: Velocity Philosophy [VEPH]

Post by Akirus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:30 pm

MysticJhn wrote: Ericks, Lightsworn Guardian: 2100 DEF wouldn't be too much for that effect? I mean, Summon Priest only has 1600 DEF.

Just saying, all it does is mill 3 cards and even then it can only do it the turn after you Summon it. Too slow for a deck like LS where your goal is to throw as many cards off your deck as possible. I don't think it would be overpowered, its effect is nothing even close to Summon Priest.

Duplo Synchron: Swap the ATK and DEF then?

Yeah, works.

Shock Mage: What do you want? It's only a Level 2. It can be played from the hand and doesn't need to be Synchro Summoned. Of course Tempest is better, it's a Level 6 Synchro. Unfair comparison.

There's just no point in running a card that deals non-lethal Effect Damage. You need to either make his effect powerful enough to properly capitalize over a short period of time (i.e. 1 turn, because he's not going to last longer than that) or durable enough to somewhat withstand your opponent for long-term benefits.

Rapid-Strike Warrior: If he's stronger than that, he's OP. He can already attack every monster your opponent has.

Thing is, you need to destroy something first, if you can't then it doesn't matter how powerful he would be.

Battle Hardened Monk: No way. Do you want him to have 2800 ATK just for destroying 1 monster? Level 8 worthy ATK on a Level 3. Gotta learn to strategize instead of relying on Over Powered cards. Besides, there's ways of giving him counters before he battles. "The Power Within" for example.

It's just a beatstick, far from broken. Unless it has some other effect then it needs more raw power. It only gets 2800 ATK after your first turn, and you still have to destroy something first or use up card advantage by placing counters on it with something else. Conditional beatsticks with low potential aren't really worth running.

Enchanted Maiden: Protect your monsters! She's a level 1 monster. Not eveything you play from the hand needs to be an 1800 ATK Level 4 you know. There's more to the game besides big attacks. Again, there's ways to use her without relying on the End Phase.

How do you plan on protecting it? You can only use Threatening Roar so many times. Not all monsters need to be huge but they need to be realistic and suited to their effects... Quite simply, it's like this: you have a monster that needs to stay on the field to take full advantage of its effect, but you neither have the digits or defensive effect mechanisms to do it. Therein lies the problem.

Book of Spell Collection: No change. At all. Dumping a monster could be good for you.

If you wanted to dump a monster, Foolish Burial is much more reliable. Well, it's up to you.

Spellbarrier Mage: Why do we need more Spell Counters? I made this to add defense for Power Counter monsters. Frankly, this thing stops current popular cards like Brain Control and Mind Control. And Summon Priest is summon priest, I don't need to make every high defense monster another summon priest. If I wanted to copy summon priest, I would have.

I suggested that because you specified that it had to be Normal Summoned. The card contradicts itself rather than have supportive elements. To gain its effect you have to Summon it in 100ATK, which is surely going to get beaten to all hell before you get a chance to move it. If you're going to do it like that, follow my initial suggestion and make it block ALL destructive effects, not just Spells. Otherwise, it's just far too weak to bother with (inconvenient stats for an easily bypassed lock effect).

Trasfer of Power: No quick play.

It'd work as a form of defense as well, though (move counters to pump up ATK). Your call.

Hurricane Dragon: It's a finisher.

Should be fine I guess, since it only works with a specific tuner.

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Ericks: Fine, I'll add that effect in.

Duplo Synchron: ATK and DEF swap it is.

Shock Mage: I'm going to be stubborn on this he really is only a Level 2 monster. I cannot fairly make him more powerful.

Rapid Strike Warrior: I'll push him up to 1600/600 ATK/DEF, but that's as much leeway I'm going to give on that. Usually decks these days, especially the swarming ones, have low ATK and rely more on effects and Synchros. I don't feel he needs more than 1600 with his effect.

Battle Hardened Monk: Think of it this way. If he survives 1 turn and is then Tributed for a Level 6, that Level 6 usually has only about 2400 ATK. If you Synchro him, you MIGHT end up with a 2800 ATK Goyo by losing another monster with him. Most any Synchro or Tribute you can use him for will be less ATK than if you just used his effect one turn. So you want a Level 3 monster to end his first turn with more possible ATK using only it's effect than most anything you could possible tribute him for or Synchro him for? Not to mention that the strongest Level 3 monster to my recollection is Hunter Dragon, and that's a vanilla "beatstick" with only 1700 ATK. What you suggesting it making not only the most powerfull Level 3 monster in existance, stronger than a large majority of Level 4 monsters, but it has a LARGE ATK gain effect too?
Be reasonable. Level 3.

You seem to always want cards that are over powered for their level. If I wanted to make an easily summoned, super beatstick, I would have gone with a higher level monster.

Enchanted Maiden: How do I plan on protecting it? Between Spellbarrier Mage and regular attack protection, she'll ben fine.

Book of Spell Collection: It's a generic card made because I liked it's effect, but with no real plan on where or how it would be usefull. It's one of those card that are just there, some common that you might stumble across as useful some day that usually gets overlooked. It's staying as is, just because I like it. I find it's effect neat and different.

Spellbarrier Mage: I don't want Spellcounters, though, it generates a LOT of Power Counters to share with other Power Couunters around it and also for Hurricane Dragon's effect. But I will make it stop all destructive effects, not just Spell Cards.

Transfer of Power: There's "The Power Within" for that.

Hurricane Dragon: Just want your opinion on how much it's Power Counters raise it's ATK. Arrowblaze thinks the 1000 ATK for each Power Counter on it is too much. IMO, it's no more deadly than adding mass Spellcounters to Arcanite Magician.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Akirus
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Akirus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 pm

The most fun part about working with your cards is, in contrast with everyone else, it's always a matter of making them more powerful rather than weaker.
MysticJhn wrote: Battle Hardened Monk: Think of it this way. If he survives 1 turn and is then Tributed for a Level 6, that Level 6 usually has only about 2400 ATK. If you Synchro him, you MIGHT end up with a 2800 ATK Goyo by losing another monster with him. Most any Synchro or Tribute you can use him for will be less ATK than if you just used his effect one turn. So you want a Level 3 monster to end his first turn with more possible ATK using only it's effect than most anything you could possible tribute him for or Synchro him for? Not to mention that the strongest Level 3 monster to my recollection is Hunter Dragon, and that's a vanilla "beatstick" with only 1700 ATK. What you suggesting it making not only the most powerfull Level 3 monster in existance, stronger than a large majority of Level 4 monsters, but it has a LARGE ATK gain effect too?
Be reasonable. Level 3.

You're neglecting one very, very important fact.

If he survives for one turn and I Tribute him for Caius, I get 2400 AND an rfp. If I Tribute him for Raiza, I spin a card. That is to say, you're only considering the ATK and not the effects. Goyo is 2800 but it lets me steal their monsters. It is a combination of these that puts him under Limited.

If my opponent has a monster and I destroy it, the next turn I'll only have a 2800 beatstick with no other benefits.

Consider X-Saber Airbellum, awesome effect, TUNER and 1600 ATK. With that in mind I hardly think 1700-1800 is unreasonable. Just remember there's a reason no one runs vanillas and plain beatsticks with no other purpose. If you want to make it more playable then it needs to push the boundaries a bit, but again that's at your discretion.

You seem to always want cards that are over powered for their level. If I wanted to make an easily summoned, super beatstick, I would have gone with a higher level monster.

I guess it's a matter of balancing stats with effects; I just think if you don't have a substantial effect that makes it worth running then at least it needs to have solid numbers to keep it around.

Book of Spell Collection: It's a generic card made because I liked it's effect, but with no real plan on where or how it would be usefull. It's one of those card that are just there, some common that you might stumble across as useful some day that usually gets overlooked. It's staying as is, just because I like it. I find it's effect neat and different.

That's cool, the effect is quite interesting. Not everything has to be top-tier worthy.

Hurricane Dragon: Just want your opinion on how much it's Power Counters raise it's ATK. Arrowblaze thinks the 1000 ATK for each Power Counter on it is too much. IMO, it's no more deadly than adding mass Spellcounters to Arcanite Magician.

Looking at it again, it could become a very big beatstick with a cost-less Brionac effect (in terms of card advantage; Power Counters do not count as -1s). Problem with comparing it to Arcanite is this: Arcanite has a base ATK of 400 and to place more counters on it, it costs a lot of cards (Tempest = 1 counter per card, Mana Seize = 2 counters per card, once per turn). Synchroing with the right monsters, you could have 5-10 Power Counters as soon as its summoned, which means it can bounce their entire field or attack with 5-10000 ATK.

There are a lot of ways you could take it. Make it gain 1 counter for each monster used (i.e. Tuner + Level 8 = 2 counters), lower the base ATK, lower the increase, etc etc.

To conclude, it does have an incredible effect and as it is, it would have beastly, disproportionate stats as well. Remember, Mist Wyrm is Level 9, requires 3 monsters and can only bounce a maximum of 3 cards. It has 2500 ATK.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:04 am

Time to rev up and go Turbo!

My rip off of Speed World is now in play!

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:10 am

This set is now past the halfway mark! Yay!

Aleva
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Aleva » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Card Name: Divine Lord Exodia
Card Type: Monster/Effect
Attribute: Dark
Type: Spellcaster
Level: 10
ATK/DEF: ?/?
Card Text: This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except from the hand if 4 "Divine Lord" cards with different names are face-up on the field. The Special Summon of this card cannot be negated. When this card is Special Summoned, a Spell, Trap, or Effect Monster Card cannot be activated. If this card is Special Summoned, you win the Duel.

This effect contradicts itself. If an Effect Monster's effect can't be activated, then how do you activate this card's game-ending effect?

Card Name: The Orb of Wdjat
Card Type: Monster/Tuner/Effect
Attribute: Light
Type: Fiend
Level: 1
ATK/DEF: 0/0
Card Text: If this card sent to the Graveyard for the Synchro Summon of a "Divine Lord" monster, you can add this card to your hand during your next Draw Phase instead of conducting your normal draw.

You want Wdjat and Servant to work well together, so I think you should be able to search out or recover your Servant. I mean, you can only run 3 copies, and you have to Sync 4 times for the 4 pieces.

(sigh, the pieces are all the same... )

Card Name: Left Arm of the Divine Lord
Card Type: Monster/Synchro/Effect
Arrtibute: Dark
Level: 3
ATK/DEF: 1000/1000
Card Text: "The Orb of Wdjat" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You take no damage from battles involving this card. If this card is destroyed, Special Summon this card during the End Phase.

Card Name: Right Arm of the Divine Lord
You take no damage from battles involving this card. If this card is destroyed, Special Summon this card during the End Phase.

Card Name: Left Leg of the Divine Lord

Card Name: Right Leg of the Divine Lord

With the 4 pieces, how about "If this card is destroyed or removed from play" instead?

Card Name: Preparations for the Coming
Card Type: Spell Card
Card Text: Return 1 "Divine Lord Exodia" from your hand to the Deck. Draw 2 cards.

Card Name: Call of the Nameless Pharaoh
Card Type: Spell Card
Card Text: Add 1 "Divine Lord Exodia" from your Deck to your hand.

Card Name: Servant of Exodia
Attribute: Dark
Level: 2
ATK/DEF: 100/1200
Card Text: When this card is Summoned, it it switched to face-up Defense Position. This card can be Special Summoned if "The Orb of Wdjat" is on the field. There can only be one "Servant of Exodia" on the field.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:10 am

Divine Lord Exodia: The effect is meant to stop Spell, Trap and Effect monster effects from being activated in responce to Exodia's Special Summon. That's why it says "When this card is Special Summoned... ". I'm really aiming for it being played and there's nothing you can do about it. Perhaps alternate wording might be in order, but as for now that's the best way I could think to phrase it.

Wdjat + Servant of Exodia: That's the trick, getting Orb out a 4th time to pull it off. There's ways to Special Summon it from the Graveyard, not to mention adding it back to your hand. Same goes for Servant of Exodia.
Also, in a Divine Lord Exodia Deck, certainly Servant of Exodia won't be your only 2 star monster.
I'm also thinking Junk Synchron would work nicely here since he Special Summons a Level 2 or Lower monster when he's Summoned.
Also, for Wdjat, it's effect will keep bringing it back when you use it for a "Divine Lord" synchro summon if you skip the Draw, so really, in a deck built around "Divine Lord Exodia" getting it out again for the 4th Synchro Summon won't be a problem.

The Divine Lord Pieces: Why would you want to remove them from play when they are destroyed? That's a pointless effect, especially since it's being Special Summoned during the End Phase again anyway.

Aleva
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Aleva » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:12 am

With the Divine Lord pieces, i meant, if your opponent RFPs your pieces, then you can't summon them again, so by adding the "or removed from play", there's less chance they will be permanently removed from the field.

Oh, and with your Servant, it is meant to be only SSable by its effect from your hand, right? Cause right now it doesn't specify from where.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:54 am

With the Divine Lord pieces, I should probably add "and sent to the Graveyard" in there, because, yes, if Macro Cosmos or whatever is in play and they are RFP aftyer being destroyed, they won't be SSed by their own effect.

And Servant, yes, that's only from hand.
EVERY Special Summon effect in the game is only from the hand unless it specifically says to Special Summon it from elsewhere.

Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon doesn't say from the hand.
Dark Armed Dragon doesn't say from the hand.

It's just understood.
Older cards sometimes said from the hand, but it's unessiscary.

Aleva
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Aleva » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:19 am

Problem is, if even 1 of your pieces gets RFPd, then you'll be in trouble. I mean, you want to save room in your extra deck for other synchros right? If i made a deck around this, i'd only put in 1 of each piece. And If i put in 2, then i'd still have to find a way to bring my monsters back to sync again.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 pm

The thing is, most decks aren't RFP friendly.
Probably 90% of every deck ever isn't RFP friendly.

Even if you ran 2 of every piece, that's still only 8 out of 15 Extra deck cards.

Just like ANY deck, you build it to match it's goal.
The goal here is to Synchro Summon the 4 pieces and keep them on the field.

That means protecting the pieces.

As is, you need to have 1 empty monster card zone to even Summon "Divine Lord Exodia", so Synchroing something else actually will get in your way anyway.

In a Divine Lord Exodia Deck, I'd focus more towards keeping Level 2 monsters around for the summoning of the pieces instead of large Synchros.

It is, after all, an instant win after Synchro Summoning the 4th piece because odds are good you'll already have Divine Lord Exodia in your hand to Summon.

Really, you could keep 3 of each piece (unless it gets limited) and still have 3 spare Extra Deck slots for whatever else.

So, to restate, this deck's build shouldn't be worried about other synchros since it's premise isn't geared towards making your opponent lose all their life points. It's the regular deck protection you'd be thinking about.

Arrowblaze
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Arrowblaze » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 am

Frankly, Id be more scared of bounce cards. Delays the countdown. And besides for RFP, normally thered be Burial from the Different Dimension to counter it. This deck would be bad only against Marco/Spin decks. Besides, just prevent him from killing you and you would kill him eventually with your Divine Lord.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Yeah, Neo-Spacian Grand Mole, Raiza, and Compulsory Evacuation Device would be big pains.

I am getting close to finishing this standard 100 card booster, though.
Not bad for 1 guy doing the whole thing. :D

I even am thinking about sticking in another achtype into this set that
is based off of recruitment branches, something akin to mixing searchers and LV monsters.
With a choose your own adventure twist.

Although, I might need a lot of room for that, so maybe it'll need it's own set file.
Who knows, maybe I'll release a second full booster of mixed cards that suppliments this booster.

I do need to eventually finish my Danny Phantom booster, lol.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:57 am

I'm going to need a community ruling on this, because I'm not sure what would be legal.
I'm rather setting a precident here that's not legally in the card game yet.
The only Multi-Type monsters created so far are anime-only and have no rulings yet or even an effect similar to this.

The monster in question is this one that goes with my current set of Warrior/Spellcasters.

Card Name: Valiros the Mana Blade
Attribute: Earth
Type: Warrior
Level: 6
ATK/DEF: 2300/2000
Card Text: This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card can only be Tribute Summoned by Tributing a monster that is both a Warrior and Spellcaster-Type. Warrior and Spellcaster-Type monsters you control cannot be targeted by effects. Warrior and Spellcaster-Type monsters you control other than this card cannot be attacked.

The red part is what I am questioning.
Can I count 1 monster with a Multi-Type effect as both it's types when it's Tributed, or is only it's original Type the one that's counted since these monster's effect don't work in the Graveyard?

I really have no point of reference in any card.
The closest thing I can think of to reference is Double Tributers, who are being counted as 2 monsters when they are Tributed due to their effects while on the field.
Can I use a similar ruling for Tributing my monsters with effects that make them both Warriors and Spellcaster?

There are legal real monsters with Multiple Attributes, but nothing that requires Multi-Attributes as a Tribute.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:40 pm

In an attempt to get some more usefull Equip Spells in the game, I've added 10 "Mask" Equip Spell Cards.
Not only are they good cards, but they are also searchers.