Yu-Gi-Oh! Store
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm 
Ultra Rare Duelist

A Guide to Chain Burn

:sQuick: Strategy

The goal in Chain Burn is to use effect damage in order to bring your opponent's life points down to zero. This is done mainly through chaining spells and traps. Make sure that you know how chains work and the basic rules on them. Traps can chain to other traps. Counter traps can chain to any traps while normal traps cannot chain to counters. The first card activated is the first link in the chain, followed by the second activated being chain two and so on. Once the chain is over, the last card that chained activates and resolves its effect first followed by the next last and so on. Overall this deck is very fun and troll to play. This format it is the most effective way to play a burn deck and can stand up very well, even against meta. Use Lava Golem against meta bosses such as Laggia and side MST against things such as Royal Decree. So, I will discuss the different cards used in the deck including monsters, spells, and traps.

:fire: Monsters

Lava Golem
FIRE Fiend/Effect
Level 8 3000 ATK/2500 DEF
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned to your opponent's side of the field by Tributing 2 monsters they control. You cannot Normal Summon or Set the turn you Special Summon this card. This monster's controller takes 1000 damage during each of their Standby Phases.

It is good for dealing out 1000 burn each turn as well as tributing your opponent's powerful Xyz and Synchros and clearing their field. It is pretty much the boss monster here.

Volcanic Queen
FIRE Pyro/Effect
Level 6 2500 ATK/1200 DEF
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned from your hand to your opponents side of the field by Tributing 1 monster your opponent controls. If you Special Summon this card, you cannot Normal Summon or Set this turn. Once per turn, you can send 1 other card you control to the Graveyard to inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. During your End Phase, either Tribute 1 other monster or take 1000 damage.

It is similar to Lava Golem. Even though Golem is prefered, it can still be good at getting rid of a pesky Laggia.

Metaion the Time Lord
FIRE Fairy/Effect
Level 10 0 ATK/0 DEF
Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck. If you control no monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. This card cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. You take no Battle Damage from battles involving this face-up Attack Position card. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked or was attacked: Return all other monsters on the field to the hand, and inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card returned. During your Standby Phase: Shuffle this card into the Deck (even if face-down).

It is sort of like a combo of Cyber Dragon and Compulsory Evacuation Device. Use it for special summoning, protection from damage, and for clearing the opponents field while burning at the same time.

Card Car D
EARTH Machine/Effect
Level 2 800 ATK/400 DEF
Cannot be Special Summoned. During your Main Phase 1, if this card was Normal Summoned during this turn: You can Tribute it; draw 2 cards, and enter your End Phase. You cannot Special Summon monsters during this turn.

It seems to be the new hot monster. It is really good here since this deck usually does not run many monsters at all, so it is easy draw power.

Swift Scarecrow
EARTH Machine/Effect
Level 1 0 ATK/0 DEF
When your opponent's monster declares a direct attack, you can discard this card to negate that attack and end the Battle Phase.

This is great for protecting your life points as you set up your backrow. Because it is discarded, it cannot be negated. Also it can be used to troll with Lava Golem.

Battle Fader
DARK Fiend/Effect
Level 1 0 ATK/0 DEF
When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then end the Battle Phase. If this card is Special Summoned with this effect, banish it when it leaves the field.

Similar to Scarecrow except it is special summoned instead so it can stay for another attack. The only downside it that it can be negated.

Marshmallon
LIGHT Fairy/Effect
Level 3 300 ATK/500 DEF
The controller of a monster that attacks this face-down card takes 1000 damage after damage calculation. This card cannot be destroyed by battle. (Damage calculation is applied normally.)

This card is amazing for stalling with Lava Golem as well as giving a 1000 life point burn.

Blast Sphere
DARK Machine/Effect
Level 4 1400 ATK/1400 DEF
If an opponent's monster attacks this face-down Defense Position card, this card becomes an Equip Card equipped to the attacking monster, before damage calculation. Destroy the equipped monster during your opponent's next Standby Phase, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monster's ATK.

With this, you can deal burn damage as well as take down an opponent's monster. The downside is that it is a bit slow.

Des Koala
DARK Beast/Effect
Level 4 1100 ATK/1800 DEF
FLIP: Inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each card in their hand.

It is a bit like Marshmallon because it gives your opponent burn with a flip effect. The downside is that it does not have the stall power.

Spirit Reaper
DARK Zombie/Effect
Level 3 300 ATK/ 200 DEF
This card is not destroyed as a result of battle. Destroy this card when it is targeted by the effects of a Spell, Trap, or Effect Monster. If this card successfully attacks your opponent's Life Points directly, your opponent discards 1 card randomly from his/her hand.

It too is similar to Marshmallon. It gives the stall power that it does. It is just missing the burn flip effect.

Morphing Jar
EARTH Rock/Effect
Level 2 700 ATK/600 DEF
FLIP: Both players discard all the cards in their hands, then draw 5 cards.

It is good for replenishing the hand as well as disrupting the opponent. The card is not necessary since there are plenty of draw opportunities in the deck but can be used for tech. Be careful for Dark World though.

Zero Gardna
EARTH Warrior/Effect
Level 4 0 ATK/0 DEF
You can tribute this card to activate its effect. If you do, monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle and you take no Battle Damage, during this turn. This effect can be activated during either player's turn.

It is good for stalling. However, since the deck is low on monsters, it would probably be better to use Waboku. It really depends on how much stall you need combined with how many monsters you are already using.

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
DARK Fiend/Effect
Level 7 2700 ATK/2500 DEF
When you take damage from a card your opponent controls while you control no cards, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Then activate the appropriate effect, based on the type of damage.
Battle Damage: Special Summon 1 "Emmisary of Darkness Token" (Fairy-Type/LIGHT/Level 7/ATK ?/DEF ?) Its ATK and DEF are each equal to the amount of battle damage you took.
Effect Damage: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the amount of damage you took.

Gorz is really a staple in many decks. Here, you can use him as a boss monster that is actually on your side of the field. It is also good for protecting your life points and stall if you needed.

:spell: Spells

Chain Strike
Activate only as Chain Link 2 or higher; inflict 400 damage to your opponent times the Chain Link number of this card. You cannot activate this card if multiple cards/effects with the same name are in that Chain.

This is the probably the true 'boss' of the deck. Once you set up your backrow and set off a long chain, this will inflict even more damage to the opponent in addition to the effects of the chain. It can often get you the win fast.

One Day of Peace
Each player draws 1 card, and neither player takes damage until the end of the opponent's next turn.

It gives you draw power as well as protection. Nice for stall.

Poison of the Old Man
Select and activate 1 of the following effects:
● Increase your Life Points by 1200 points.
● Inflict 800 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points.

This card is good because it is versatile and can be used in different ways depending on what situation you are in. It is good for burn or revival.

Tremendous Fire
Inflict 1000 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points and 500 points of damage to your Life Points.

This gives some nice burn effect damage. Even though it inflicts some to you, to not use other ones such as sparks because such low damage is not worth running in this deck.

Pot of Duality
Reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Pot of Duality" per turn. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn you activate this card.

This card is a staple in many decks and is great if you need more draw power.

Thunder Shot
Inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each monster they control.

This is the spell card version of Just Desserts. Use Desserts instead because it is more chainable but you can use this card if you feel you have the room.

:trap: Traps

Accumulated Fortune
Activate only as Chain Link 4 or higher. Draw 2 cards. You cannot activate this card if multiple cards/effects with the same name are in that chain.

This card is vital as it gives you the draw power needed for this deck to run effectively. It also works double as it adds to the chain giving Chain Strike more burn power. Make sure you understand that you cannot use the same cards in the chain so make sure you have a variety of different traps.

Magic Cylinder
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Select that monster, negate the attack, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to its ATK.

This card can often be seen in many other decks besides Chain Burn. It works especially good here because it offers attack protection as well as massive burn depending on when you use it.

Just Desserts
Inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points for each monster on your opponent's side of the field.

This card helps to accumulate burn damage. It works nicely in combination with Ojama Trio because it will up the monster count.

Secret Barrel
Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the total number of cards on your opponent's side of the field and in your opponent's hand x 200.

It is another chainable trap that works well to inflict burn damage. It does not offer protection but can be more powerful than Just Desserts at times depending on the situation because it not only includes monster on the field, but all cards your opponent has on the field and in hand in the damage calculation.

Fairy Wind
Destroy all face-up Spell and Traps on the field. Inflict 300 damage to each player for each card destroyed.

Not really the best option. However, it can be good for getting rid of a Fiendish Chain, Royal Decree, etc. or if you want more of a trap variety

Jar of Greed
Draw 1 card from your Deck.

Most people will not use this card in a lot of decks because of the fact that it is a trap. But here it is a good thing because it is chainable. Gives free draw.

Legacy of Yata-Garasu
Select and activate 1 of these effects:
● Draw 1 card.
● Activate only when a Spirit monster is face-up on your opponent's side of the field. Draw 2 cards.

The same a Jar of Greed except you get to draw another if there is a spirit monster. Spirits are not as used as the used to be but there is always the chance and it is good for extra draw in addition to Jar.

Ojama Trio
Special Summon 3 "Ojama Tokens" (Beast-Type/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 1000) in Defense Position on your opponent's side of the field. The tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon. When an "Ojama Token" is destroyed, the controller of that token takes 300 points of damage.

Use this to fill up the opponents field with low attack monsters thus giving you protection. It also fills their field for Secret Barrel and Just Desserts. By itself, it can give 900 burn.

Reckless Greed
Draw 2 cards, and skip your next 2 Draw Phases.

This card is useful for getting a lot of cards quickly. However, it is not really necessary since this deck already has so much draw power and because of the "skip 2" effect, it can cause some inconsistency.

Dimension Wall
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Instead of you, your opponent takes the Battle Damage you would have taken from this battle.

This card is very similar to Magic Cylinder. It protects from an attack while inflicting burn damage. If you can stall till an opponent gets out a boss monster, then chain with things like Just Desserts, it can be end game fast.

Threatening Roar
Your opponent cannot declare an attack this turn.

This will give you protection as you set up your backrow. Be sure to activate before the opponent declares an attack.

Waboku
You take no Battle Damage this turn. Your monsters cannot be destroyed by battle this turn.

Very similar to Threatening Roar. It is good for protection as well as stall.

:sContinuous: Final Note

The deck should be heavy on Traps while lighter on Monsters and Spells. The traps are the essence of chaining and what knocks down the opponent's life points. I hope this guide gives everyone an idea of how the deck works and should look like.

Last edited by Alice on Mon May 14, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:59 pm 
Ghost Rare Duelist

I don't understand.
Why does chain burn run one day of peace if it is focused on chain strike, which does damage?
one day of peace prevents damage to both players last time I checked.

| Zanrith's Dragon Den_|_Zanrith GFX |

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:29 pm 
Ultra Rare Duelist

You know how people use PoD even in a deck that special summons a lot? It is because draw power is important. It is important here also. Basically it helps you stall one turn so you can set up a real nice backrow because if you have only one or two traps in the hand, it will not work out too well. I hope this answers your question.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:11 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

kind of.

| Zanrith's Dragon Den_|_Zanrith GFX |

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:59 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

Please do Traps. My Chain Burn lives on them and IMO it's the best way to run it.

Dnet: dracostrike *Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:55 am 
Ultra Rare Duelist

Yes, traps are arguably the most important aspect of the deck. I just did not have time to finish over the weekend. It is compeleted now.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:18 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

Just a question. What's the difference between Dimension Wall and Magic Cylinder?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 am 
Ultra Rare Duelist

They are pretty much the same, they just have different wording. Technically Magic Cylinder negates the attack and then inflicts burn damage while with D Wall, the attack is just targeted to the opponent's life points. The result is the same but it is interesting how Cylinder is so much more popular that it is on the ban list while D Wall is untouched.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

I know, I have been wondering that all day. Maybe something like Spirit Reaper has something to do with it but I dunno (shrugs).

EDIT: Btw, I have 3 version of Chain Burn, each of them can side into a different win condition. I have Self-Destruct Button and Exodia siding decks but I cant remember the third....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 am 
Ultra Rare Duelist

Yes, it is a ban list mystery. Although similar to the Reaper/ Marsh situation, it is not as close. Reaper is easier to remove with his spell/trap target effect and he does not give the burn effect.

Transformation decks are good, especially with this kind of deck because people may decide to side in extra Royal Decrees and such that they may have. Being able to surprise the opponent can give you a nice advantage.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

Do you think Transformation decks deserve a small mention in your Guide?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:59 am 
Ultra Rare Duelist

I suppose, but it is really applicable to many decks, not just Chain Burn. It is something for people to consider when building a deck. It takes a bit of thought and can be tough to do with just fifteen cards but it is possible. It is something that I see less often though because people would rather keep their deck's strategy the same, thus increasing consistency over the surprise advantage. Many use the side for cards that they can use to shut down certain decks (especially popular meta) to give them a sure advantage depending on the situation.

Also, thanks for taking interest in this guide; I was afraid it would be a dead thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

XD No worries, you have been making Guides about some of my favourite decks so I've been happy to post on each :)

But I will say I build a deck around that surprise factor and that factor has pushed what should be a Tier 3/4 deck through the current big 3 not once but constiently. If there's one thing I love more than Topdecking (which is saying something because I also use Bubbleman Beat), it's surprise! :o

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 am 
Ultra Rare Duelist

Yes, both Chain Burn and Empty Jar have made it pretty high in a YCS.
Decks like these can stand against meta because they are not ordinary decks and both are technically OTK's because Chain Burn really relies on effect damage.

And if you love topdecking, then you have to try Highlander matches/ decks; very epic.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 am 
Ghost Rare Duelist

Highlander? I've not heard of these so please explain?