Diamond in the Rough - A Guide to Crystal Beasts [Undergoing Revamp]

Check out these very helpful guides, written by YCG Forum's very own members.
Evilfaic
Secret Rare Duelist

Diamond in the Rough - A Guide to Crystal Beasts [Undergoing Revamp]

Post by Evilfaic » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Diamond in the Rough - A Guide To Crystal Beasts

I - Introduction and Strategy
II - Monsters
III - Spells
IV - Traps
V - Extra Deck
VI - Deck Skeleton
VII - Closing Thoughts
I - Introduction and Strategy

Crystal Beasts debuted in Force of the Breaker, a set in the later GX era. Crystal Beasts are unique in that when they are destroyed, they are sent to the Spell/Trap Zone as opposed to the Graveyard. There are seven core Crystal Beasts and a boss monster, Rainbow Dragon. Additional Crystal Beast support was released exclusively in the OCG set Secrets of Eternity, which included Pendulums. This extra support has yet to be released in the TCG.

Crystal Beasts focus on placing themselves in the S/T Zone. Positive effects are generally received when possessing high numbers of Crystals in the S/T Zone from cards such as Ancient City - Rainbow Ruins, Crystal Beacon, Crystal Abundance, and Rare Value. Crystal Beasts' swarming capabilities benefited greatly from the advent of Xyz Monsters.

II - Monsters
Spoiler:
Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus
When this card is Summoned: You can place 1 "Crystal Beast" monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
Sapphire provides necessary acceleration to the deck. When it is Summoned by any means, you can place any Crystal Beast from your Hand, Deck, or Graveyard into your S/T Zone. This is extremely beneficial with cards such as Rare Value benefiting from Crystals in the S/T Zone. Without Sapphire, Crystal Beasts have no searching power outside of Hoard.
Run 3

Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle
When this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon as many "Crystal Beast" cards as possible from your Spell & Trap Card Zone. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
Ruby is the reason this deck works. When it is Special Summoned by any means, every Crystal Beast in your S/T Zone is summoned with it. Coupled with Crystal Beacon, Ruby allows for some surprising and explosive plays. The debate of whether to run 2 or 3 is common among CB players. Do some testing and decide what works for you.
Run 2-3

Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle
Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up "Crystal Beast" card you control; return that target to the top of the Deck. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
Eagle has mediocre stats with an even worse effect (for which the only use is reusing Pegasus). Despite this, Eagle provides something important: accessibility. Being a WIND-Attributed Winged-Beast, Eagle provides access to excellent Xyz Monsters such as Lightning Chidori, Ice Beast Zerofyne, and Harpie's Pet Phantasmal Dragon, as well as being another target for Genex Ally Birdman.
Run 2-3

Crystal Beast Topaz Tiger
If this card attacks an opponent's monster, it gains 400 ATK during the Damage Step only. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
Topaz is a solid card. Its effect lets it reach 2000 ATK when it attacks, which gets over Monsters like Thunder King Rai-Oh. Aside from that, Topaz does nothing special. Having more Crystal Beasts can't hurt, and Topaz is the next best thing to the ones mentioned above.
Run 0-2

Crystal Beast Amber Mammoth
When another face-up "Crystal Beast" monster you control is targeted for an attack: You can make this card the attack target instead. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
While Mammoth's effect isn't bad and its base ATK is 100 more than Topaz's, there is no real reason to run it over Topaz aside from preference.
Run 0-1

Crystal Beast Amethyst Cat
This card can attack your opponent directly, but when it uses this effect, any Battle Damage it inflicts to your opponent is halved. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
Bad effect, bad stats, and does nothing important. The only notable thing about it is the fact that it is Level 3.
Run 0

Crystal Beast Emerald Tortoise
Once per turn: You can target 1 monster you control that attacked this turn; change that target to Defense Position. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
Bad effect, bad stats, and does nothing important. The only notable thing about it is the fact that it is Level 3 (copied directly from Cat because it also applies here).
Run 0
Spoiler:
Rainbow Dragon
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having 7 "Crystal Beast" cards with different names on your field or in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card cannot activate its effects the turn it is Special Summoned. ● During either player's turn: You can send all "Crystal Beast" monsters you control to the Graveyard; this card gains 1000 ATK for each card sent. ● You can banish all "Crystal Beast" monsters in your Graveyard; shuffle all cards on the field into the Deck.
Despite being the boss monster, Rainbow Dragon is extremely difficult to summon, and even then, its effects are not great. It can't even use the effects during the turn it was summoned for some reason. Too much effort to too little reward.
Run 0

Crystal Vanguard
Pendulum Effect: Your opponent cannot target "Crystal Beast" cards, "Rainbow Dragon", and "Rainbow Dark Dragon" you control with card effects.
Monster Effect: You can Tribute this card; add 1 "Rainbow Dragon", 1 "Rainbow Dark Dragon", 1 "Crystal Beast" monster, or 1 "Crystal" Spell/Trap Card (except "Crystal Counter" or "Violet Crystal") from your Deck to your hand.
The better of the two Crystal Pendulums. Vanguard protects your Crystal Beasts from being targeted while in a Pendulum Zone, as well as searches almost any Crystal card in the deck when Tributed from a Monster Zone.
Run 3 (OCG only)

Crystal Protector
Run 0-2

Summoner Monk
Run 2

Trident Warrior
Run 2-3

Genex Ally Birdman
Run 0-1

Thunder King Rai-Oh
0-2

Dragon Queen of Tragic Endings
0-2
III - Spells

//

IV - Traps

//

V - Extra Deck

//

VI - Closing Thoughts

//
Last edited by Evilfaic on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 30 times in total.
(Formerly DFB)
I was a small child when I made most of my posts so probably ignore them
https://soundcloud.com/evilfaic
LewieGee wrote:I, for one, think the guy with the shrek avatar on yugioh card guide forums for com is right

lz777
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: Sparkly Gems - A Guide to Crystal Beasts

Post by lz777 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Cool guide this will help me improve my little bro's crystal beast deck
thx Antsy8 for the sig :)
also my dnet account http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.p ... 211-lz777/

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dedoombringer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I actually use Rainbow Dragon in my crystal beast :/
Nice guide but with ask the dumping possible getting both rainbows is ready with those horrible traps.......is out going yo win regional? No. is it fun? God yes

Opda11
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by Opda11 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Gems, gems are outrageous!

With that out of the way
Good Guide :D

*RandomGuy*
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by *RandomGuy* » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17999
lol

Although that is well old

Evilfaic
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Evilfaic » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 pm

*RandomGuy* wrote:viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17999
lol

Although that is well old
Yeah, I know. I did give you credit for the original guide on the post.
(Formerly DFB)
I was a small child when I made most of my posts so probably ignore them
https://soundcloud.com/evilfaic
LewieGee wrote:I, for one, think the guy with the shrek avatar on yugioh card guide forums for com is right

*RandomGuy*
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by *RandomGuy* » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm

lol my bad then, I haven't read it yet.

Rognarr
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Rognarr » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Dragon Queen of Tragic Endings is a card, and should be played. Horn of the Phantom Beast is the reason the Solidarity build works, you have to run 3. Hamon is trash, and I've never seen Anteatereatingant.
Thanks to Zeronex for the sig.
DN username=Rognar

kingofthereptiles
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by kingofthereptiles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm

good guide!
*Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*

DN Username= Klen57

Lots of Blizzards

NovaHigh
Rare Duelist

Post by NovaHigh » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Great guide, helped me revive my crystal beasts after a 2 year break :D

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 pm

How crystal beasts win is basically get owned the first few turns and the drop ruby for game
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right
Bye YCG, thanks for all the good times.

NovaHigh
Rare Duelist

Post by NovaHigh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 am

Or Crystal abundance them :)

Then play three Pegasus on the field and from their effects sacrifice the three crystals for Hammon.

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 am

Hamon is a disgusting card >.>

NovaHigh
Rare Duelist

Post by NovaHigh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 am

Rowwdy Yisb wrote:Hamon is a disgusting card >.>

How so?

It's worked well in that scenario for me. Crystals aren't the strongest and one on one can't match my mates dragon deck.

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am

NovaHigh wrote:
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:Hamon is a disgusting card >.>

How so?

It's worked well in that scenario for me. Crystals aren't the strongest and one on one can't match my mates dragon deck.
Crystal beast win condition for all varieties is having plenty in the S/T
Hamon wrecks all this just for a beatstick. Kuraz is better for this anyways.