The Kings of Kings: Wallace's Guides to Monarchs - Throughout Time!

Check out these very helpful guides, written by YCG Forum's very own members.
Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Re: The Kings of Kings: Wallace's Guides to Monarchs - Throughout Time!

Post by Wallaceman105 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:35 am

The Guide is officially updated and reopened, in honor of the Monarch structure!
I'll be expanding it at least 3 times a week, so don't forget to check back here!

Update 2.0
-Format completely Changed
-History section added
-Standard Class Monarch descriptions added.
-Update section added
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

Phazed
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Phazed » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:34 pm

So updated that there's no info
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:Lesson bloody learnt you slifer slacker.
Signature created by Kamikon Wolf
= Guide to Mecha Phantom Beasts =
= Guide to Hieratics =

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Phazed wrote:So updated that there's no info
Hey, I have things to do, people to beat in card games using my new monarch deck, places to go.
There will be more later on.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:01 am

Phazed wrote:So updated that there's no info
Smoked
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right
Bye YCG, thanks for all the good times.

YCG Admin
Site Admin

Post by YCG Admin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Wallaceman105 wrote:The Guide is officially updated and reopened, in honor of the Monarch structure!
I'll be expanding it at least 3 times a week, so don't forget to check back here!
I've added the new Monarch cards from the Emperor of Darkness Structure Deck to the Monarch Archetype page.

New cards include:
Ehther the Heavenly Monarch
Erebus the Underworld Monarch
Eidos the Underworld Squire
Edea the Heavenly Squire
Pantheism of the Monarchs
Domain of the True Monarchs
The Prime Monarch

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:13 pm

YCG Admin wrote:
Wallaceman105 wrote:The Guide is officially updated and reopened, in honor of the Monarch structure!
I've added the new Monarch cards from the Emperor of Darkness Structure Deck to the Monarch Archetype page.

New cards include:
Ehther the Heavenly Monarch
Erebus the Underworld Monarch
Eidos the Underworld Squire
Edea the Heavenly Squire
Pantheism of the Monarchs
Domain of the True Monarchs
The Prime Monarch
Awesome!
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:11 pm

Update 2.0.1
- Builds section added
- Section heading format changed
-"Budget 2015" build added in New Age Builds
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:

Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by Darksoul » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:24 am

Wallaceman105 wrote:I.Introduction
In honor of the release of the new Monarch Structure deck and the official TCG rebirth of the deck, I've reformatted and reopened my Monarch guide. Now, I'll be going over not just the Monarchs of today, but also the Monarchs of yesteryear. I'm excited to take on this project, and I hope you find it helpful. Enjoy, and unleash the power of the only true kings!
~Wallace
II.History.
Spoiler:
Of all the archetypes in Yu-Gi-Oh!, the Monarchs have, while not the longest, perhaps the most turbulent history.While it is not widely used, I have my own system for dividing up this history into 5 ages:

Stone Age:
Lasting from 2004-2007, this age was marked by only having the 4 initial monarchs: Zaborg, Mobius, Granmarg, and Thestalos. This age mainly consisted of the 'Soul Control' strategy, which was based on using Soul Exchange and similar cards to steal and tribute your opponent's monsters instead of your own. This deck became well-known and well-hated as a very troll-y deck. Oh god, how people today would BEG for this to be the trolliest deck to deal with...
The prominent Monarchs of this age were Mobius and Thestalos. Zaborg was used occasionally in conjunction with Metamorphosis to get out Dark Balter the Terrible, a powerful fusion.

Classic Age:
Lasting from 2007-2010, this age finished out our 'standard' set of Monarchs with the releases of Raiza, Kuraz, Caius, and Delg. This age also featured the Monarchs' only banlist hit to date, on Raiza. Decks in this age were fun, powerful, and varied, but the one that stood above them all was most certainly Frognarchs, using Treeborn Frog and his toady little friends to create an endless supply of tribute fodder, giving the duelist unlimited control power over the field. The deck is still the longest dominant strategy for monarchs, however, it's play has begun to decline with the release of new cards.
The Prominent Monarchs of this age were Raiza and Caius, with Mobius usually running second wind to their powerful strides. Thestalos was used mainly as a novelty, and Kuraz was mostly a draw power gimmick, but shined in a few builds.

Silver Age:
Lasting from 2010-201(3-4), the Silver Age saw an explosion of monarch decks and strategies, all piggybacking off of the new, fast-paced and exciting archetypes coming from the ZeXal era. Ghostrick Monarchs were a perfect example of this. This age didn't see a real surge in competitive power or use for the Monarchs, but they were always there at the casual level. New Xyz monsters opened up fantastic worlds for players, and apparently this was when the archetype caught Konami's eye once more....
The Monarchs were all used so widely and with varied taste, it's difficult to label any of them as the 'prominent' ones. Granmarg and Zaborg, however, were still never used.

Expansive Age:
Lasting from 201(3-4)-2015, the Expansive Age is named for the slow trickle of cards that were released, including the Mega Monarch set, the Vassal set, and the Transformation Set. The beginning of this age is arguable. While the first cards were released in late 2013, it didn't really kick off the trend until 2014, and didn't catch on until late 2014, when The Monarchs Stormforth was released. It gained even more support around that time from the release of Majesty's Fiend, a card perfectly suited for use with the new support.
The Prominent Monarchs of this age were Caius and Raiza, with heavy use of Majesty's Fiend as a pseudo-Monarch.

The New Age:
Beginning in 2016, this age is the latest and greatest in Monarch history. Marked with the release of the new Monarch Structure Deck, along with a whole host of new cards, this age sets up for a grand revolution in Monarch strategies and standards. It condenses and polishes the traits of the Expansive Age to make the archetype into a fast-paced, powerful force that is nearly unstoppable when it gets going.
The prominent Monarchs of this age are Ehther and Erebus. Typically, 2 of a Monarch and 1 of its mega form accompany this.
III.Cards
I'll be breaking this up into 2 main subsections; archetype cards and non-archetype cards, featuring cards that have been used with Monarchs over the years.

Archetype Cards
Monsters
Standard Class Monarchs
Spoiler:
Caius is either the best monarch by far, or tied for best, depending on the build. With the new support coming out, I find myself only running 2 or 3 normal monarchs, and I choose to pack a Caius.
Classic, Silver, and Expansive Age Monarchs: Run 3
New Age Monarchs: Run 1-2, depending on preference.
Spoiler:
For the longest time, Raiza has been up with Caius to compete for the best monarch spot. And, for years, he has been up to the challenge. In both Classic and Silver Age monarchs, Raiza has always been a go-to for monarch users, to the point of Konami actually hitting him on the banlist, making him the only monarch to be hit. In the Growing Age, his mega form promoted ridiculous amounts of loops and bonuses, and his support card is one of the best, hands down. However, because of his WIND attribute and New Age's excellence in LIGHT/DARK monsters, he has lost a bit of power.
Classic, Silver, and Expansive Age Monarchs: Run 3
New Age Monarchs: Run 0
Spoiler:
Thestalos is always the monarch we overlook. However, it wasn't always this way; back in the Stone Age, Thestalos and Mobius were the dominant monarchs. A random discard with potential for burn added in a beautiful potential for spin-off decks. His effect is definitely the most niche one of the main 6, but that proved to be a disadvantage in the Classic, Silver, and Growing Ages. In the New Age, he still doesn't see as much play as he used to, but he's definitely a viable candidate for use.
Stone Age Monarchs: Run 3
Classic Age: Run 1-2, depending on preference
Silver-Expansive Age: Run 0-1, depending on preference
New Age: Run 1-2, depending on preference
Spoiler:
One of the 'ideology' monarchs, Kuraz, along with Delg, have the archetype additional options for combating newer, more tricky archetypes. He also have is a much better LIGHT monarch, giving rise to Chaos Monarchs, a very successful build that combined the two powerful strategies in a consistent and strong deck.
Classic-Expansive age: Run 0-2, depending on the build.
New Age: Run 1
Spoiler:
Much like Kuraz, the DARK ideological monarch gave us a unique power that proved useful in breaking up and tackling some strategies by taking out their key cards.
Classic-Expansive Age: Run 1-2 in the side
New Age: Run 0, unless you have an all-DARK build.
Spoiler:
Ah, Mobius. Before Raiza and Caius, he was the go-to, the ace, the King of Kings, the dominant Monarch. Still seeing use today, he is the only one of the original 6 who can remove multiple cards in one go. Back when he was at his peak, Stall decks were a nightmare on the casual level and a waste of time for the competitive. Mobius gave duelists a chance to rip past Swords of Revealing Light, snap a Scrap-Iron Scarecrow, or shatter a Draining Shield. Back when the game was simpler, Mobius was one of the more powerful presences on the scene.
Stone Age: Run 3
Classic Age: Run 2
Silver-Expansive Age: Run 1-2, depending on the build
New Age: Run 1, at least in the side.
Spoiler:
Zaborg is unique. Of all the Monarchs, he is the only one not level 6 or 8. He is instead level 5. This meant that, while some were hesitant to use him because of his mandatory effect and tendency to self-destruct, Zaborg saw play with Metamorphosis, to bring out Dark Balter the Terrible, a fusion who, at the time, was quite the force to be reckoned with.
Stone Age: Run 1-2
Classic-New Age: Run 0
Spoiler:
Sadly, Granmarg was rather gypped on the scale of power. His effect is, really, rather lacking. Even when he was new, and again when his Mega form was released, he did not make for much excitement from even the most enthusiastic Monarch players. There isn't much to say about him, because there's not much to play.
Stone-New Age: Run 0
Mega Class
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Vassal Class
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spells
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Traps
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

IV.Builds
Stone Age

Classic Age

Silver Age

Expansive Age

New Age
Spoiler:

Info
This deck was designed to be made from 3 copies of the Emperor of Darkness structure deck, with the addition of 1 Reinforcement of the Army.

Decklist
Monsters
3x Ehther the Heavenly Monarch
3x Erebus the Underworld Monarch
2x Caius the Shadow Monarch
2x Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
1x Mithra the Thunder Vassal
1x Landrobe the Rock Vassal
3x Eidos the Underworld Squire
3x Edea the Heavenly Squire
Spells
3x Pantheism of the Monarchs
3x Tenacity of the Monarchs
3x Domain of the True Monarchs
3x The Monarchs Stormforth
3x March of the Monarchs
1x Return of the Monarchs
1x Reinforcement of the Army
Traps
3x The Prime Monarch
1x Escalation of the Monarchs
1x The Monarchs Erupt

Side Deck
3x Mobius the Frost Monarch
1x Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
1x Caius the Shadow Monarch
3x Raiza the Storm Monarch
1x Mithra the Thunder Vassal
1x Landrobe the Rock Vassal
2x Lucius the Shadow Vassal
1x Return of the Monarchs
1x The Monarchs Erupt
1x Escalation of the Monarchs
V.Updates
Update 2.0
-Format completely Changed
-History section added
-Standard Class Monarch descriptions added.
-Update Section added
Update 2.0.1
- Builds section added
- Section heading format changed
-"Budget 2015" build added in New Age Builds
"And if your opponent is running a dark-attribute based deck then Caius is going to burn them alive, with lightning. And that's fun."

Funneh
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:42 am

Update 2.0.2
-Mega Class, Vassal Class, Spell, and Trap evaluations added.
-Archetype evaluations finished as of 2/4/16.
-Standard Class, Mega Class, and Vassal Class pictures added.

Now for the outside cards...
PM me if you guys have recommendations! :)
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:

Gouki
Super Rare Duelist

Post by Gouki » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:44 pm

you should talk about the quantums and speedroids as alternate fodder for the monarchs.

also you should post allen c. pennington's list from ycs atlanta as a reference for other players

Signature created by Kamikon Wolf

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:22 am

Gouki wrote:you should talk about the quantums and speedroids as alternate fodder for the monarchs.

also you should post allen c. pennington's list from ycs atlanta as a reference for other players
Yeah, still testing those variants so I know what I'm talking about.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:

arkain07
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by arkain07 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:58 pm

i miss the good old days when frogs had toad put all your stuff into your grave and go off of swap frog and use Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch was used and your opponent lost his entire hand when you used spiritual art water and always had toads in your grave. back in the day this guy was part of a perfect circle monarch deck during frog FTK era which also played the control card that was big back in the day such as LaDD
Atumman105 wrote:This isn't easy for me to say, but I've been 100% completely wrong about Monarchs. Thanks to Arkain, I now properly understand both them AND the importance of hand advantage. Thanks, Arkain!

user name here is the same as DN Arkain07

Clan = Moon

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Well, thank you for the enormous ball of nostalgia, I forgot about this guide.
I'm probably gonna work on it now that I remember it.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote: