European Animation

Talk about TV shows and movies here. We all watch them, after-all.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

European Animation

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:49 am

Needless to say, I love cartoons and animation.
Being from America, I am very familiar with a large amount of stuff produced by Hollywood.
Anime has been here for a long while now, and thanks to the internet I have watched my share of anime.
In my lifetime I have watched a LOT of cartoons from both the US and Japan.

A thought occurs to me now, though... I have seen almost nothing from Europe.
When I was a kid, we did recieve DangerMouse, Count Duckula, and Banana Man over here (if you're too young to remember them, look them up).
DangerMouse I'm particularly fond of.
In the later years, we also got some of the Wallace & Gromit including a few of the movies.
I really enjoyed Curse of the Wererabbit.

However, in general, I don't really know any European animation and haven't watched much.
I'm particularly interested in what the UK puts out... mostly because I speak English, so it would be the easiest to watch.

What animation does the UK and the rest of Europe watch?
Is it mostly animation from other countries, or does it produce a lot of it's own shows?
Are there any good cartoons produced over there anyone wants to reccommend that I might find online?

I know we have a few Aussies on here, so any Aussie originals might be good too.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Flu
Parallel Rare Duelist

Re: European Animation

Post by Flu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:47 am

I started to make a list, but honestly, I haven't really watched much European animation since the time before last I was in Germany and that was around 10 years ago.
Most of what I remember comes from my childhood, and most of it either wasn't that good or has already been translated and is at least not completely unknown.

Besides, a lot of German animation is ummm.
It's not something most animation fans would enjoy.
I know nothing about animation from other european countries, aside from a few french shows that were translated but I'm guessing most of them have english dubs too.
But yeah, France is pretty big when it comes to European animation, or was, not sure if it still is.
MysticJhn wrote:Also, Flu is right
Cencil45 wrote:Flu is pretty much always right

mastermew
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by mastermew » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:48 am

crocodile dundee

(obvious troll is obvious)
praise the almighty helix
dn: mastermew00

agentkuo
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by agentkuo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:47 pm

MysticJhn wrote:Needless to say, I love cartoons and animation.
Being from America, I am very familiar with a large amount of stuff produced by Hollywood.
Anime has been here for a long while now, and thanks to the internet I have watched my share of anime.
In my lifetime I have watched a LOT of cartoons from both the US and Japan.

A thought occurs to me now, though... I have seen almost nothing from Europe.
When I was a kid, we did recieve DangerMouse, Count Duckula, and Banana Man over here (if you're too young to remember them, look them up).
DangerMouse I'm particularly fond of.
In the later years, we also got some of the Wallace & Gromit including a few of the movies.
I really enjoyed Curse of the Wererabbit.

However, in general, I don't really know any European animation and haven't watched much.
I'm particularly interested in what the UK puts out... mostly because I speak English, so it would be the easiest to watch.

What animation does the UK and the rest of Europe watch?
Is it mostly animation from other countries, or does it produce a lot of it's own shows?
Are there any good cartoons produced over there anyone wants to reccommend that I might find online?

I know we have a few Aussies on here, so any Aussie originals might be good too.
I haven't watched a lot, as far as I'm aware, but I have watched and enjoyed these (I've included the release date to give you a frame of reference. I've also included some French stuff. Hope that's okay.):
•(1968) Yellow Submarine (really old, trippy, animated movie about the Beatles)
•(1973) Fantastic Planet (also really old, French film about...aliens? I guess. Good movie. I don't remember if it's in English or if it has English subs, but it doesn't really matter because there's hardly any dialogue)
•(1995) The Thief and the Cobbler (one of my absolute favorite childhood films. It was made in the UK. Highly recommended, and you can watch the whole movie here.)
•(2003) The Triplets of Belleville (Sylvain Chomet has a really fantastic way of telling a story without a lot of dialogue.)
•(2010) The Illusionist (also directed by Chomet, also highly recommended)
•(2011) The Rabbi's Cat (very good movie! Highly recommended)

I'm not sure if I've seen more. I probably have, but I don't remember.

Those are all movies, by the way. I don't really know of any tv shows/cartoons.

Lithium
Parallel Rare Duelist
Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby

Post by Lithium » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I remember "The Theif and the Cobbler" and "The Illusionist" from Agent's post^

They're pretty good imo :3
Amy Lee wrote:"Don't be afraid of the shadows, it only means there's a light nearby."

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 am

Did watch Theif and the Cobbler, although it seems the film was unfinished,
so there were too many preliminary drawings and storyboarding panels and rough animation to be really good.
Had some interestring art styles, and the final scene with the theif was really reminiscent of old cartoons where
someone sleepwalks or whatever through constructions sites, just missing death several times was fun.
The pacing could be a bit slow at some times too, and I don't think that was a result of it being unfinished.
Overall I liked it.

Still would like some recommended animated series if there's any good ones.
They don't have to be currently airing, just ones that were popular or fondly remembered.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!