Twins of fate, Twins of power

If you like to write then we like to read. Here's a place to share your stories, poetry, or whatever.
Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Twins of fate, Twins of power

Post by Wallaceman105 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Spoiler:
Jax picked up the dirty glass from the drunken sleeze who'd been passed out for a few hours. Snapping to get Eddy's attention, he jerked his head towards the door. The big man nodded and promptly grabbed the man by his collar and belt, tossing him out the side door into the drenched alleyway. Sliding the glass down the counter to Ken, the new dishwasher they'd hired last week. The kid put it into the crate, filling it, and carried it around to the kitchens. Sighing and rubbing his stiff neck, Jax hiked his apron back up and turned to face the new customer. The man was dressed in your standard eastern Kettle attire - a loose, black robe trailing just past his ankles, covering a vest that laid over a simple white shirt. His legs were in a pair of brown pants, with a simple but nice-looking red design worked down the front. Given the unassuming traits of the rest of the garb, Jax assumed that the man was wearing a pair of tough and rigid boots. Good for walking long distances and keeping the elements out of your socks. The man's head, unlike the rest of his clothes, was unusual in it's top of a short-brimmed hat instead of a hood. Well, Jax thought. If he's from eastern Kettle, he's either tired and boring as hell, or fresh and full of a good story. I'll bite.
"So," he began, "What'll it be?"
A surprisingly young voice responded, "Nothing too strong, just a little something to relax me."
Nodding, Jax turned around and grabbed a few bottles off the shelf, mixing a new brew he'd made last night. "Tell ya' what: You can be the first guy to taste me new brew- I call it the 'Stable's Stash', 'case you were wonderin'- and it'll be on the house."
The man tilted his head, thought for a moment, and nodded. "Sounds great to me," he said with a slight grin, "what's in it?"
Still mixing, Jax turned his head slightly and said, "Just some standard beers, with a couple of spices. Reminds me of horse races, for some reason, so that's the name there." He finished and passed it over to his customer, who took a short swig.
The man nodded appreciatively. "Good drink," he said.
Jax grinned. "Why thank you." Picking up a glass and pulling a towel from under the bar, he began to clean the glass, asking the man, "So, I'd guess you're here from eastern Kettle." The man nodded, taking another swig from his Stash. "Long journey, getting all the way here to Albull. Which way'd you take- Hanesail, or Jenstorm?"
"Jenstorm," the man said. "I love the forest in the spring," he chuckled. "Took a couple of odd jobs in some of the villages there, made some money."
"You got a name?"
"Malleck. Zachary Malleck."
"Well, what brings you here, Mr. Malleck?"
"Looking for men."
"To do what?"
"A job." The man paused. "The kind that requires a certain amount of...commitment and discretion, if you know what I'm saying."
Jax squinted. "Can't say I do, but if it pays, you'll find your fair share of men who'll take on just about any task," he said, gesturing to the pub's various patrons around the room. "Just give me the word, and I can set up one of the back rooms for interviews."
The man nodded. "Can you tell people to keep it discrete?"
Jax nodded. "Of course." He pulled out a piece of paper and a writing stick. "Just tell me what you'll need..."
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Re: Twins of fate, Twins of power

Post by Wallaceman105 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Spoiler:
Jax looked over at the curtain that secluded the Meeting Room from the main hall of the bar. This was the third day of Malleck meeting with people to recruit for his job. While he had been paying readily for his food and his room, the details of the job made Jax more than a little uneasy. Getting involved went directly against his decision to leave his past behind him, but he hadn't known until after taking the details.
"Hey!"
Jax turned to face an angry, drunken customer leaning over the bar. "Sir, please do not cross over the bar."
"And what if I do? At least I'd get my damn drink on time!"
"Just stay on your side of the bar and I'll get you what you pay for." Jax grit his molars, knowing what was coming.
The man threw his arm at Jax, aiming right for his shirt, near the neck. With just a twitch of his wrist, Jax flipped a knife out from under the bar. It shot upward, piercing the man's forearm and slamming it up and away. At the same time, Jax snatched the man's other arm and yanked it, causing their heads to slam together. The man stumbled back, too drunk to react to the pain in his arm. Jax whistled twice, calling in Eddy. The big man from New Seter ripped the knife out and tossed it back to Jax, who caught it deftly and stored it back under the counter. Jax watched while Eddy tossed the man out the door.
Turning his attention back to the Meeting Room, Jax saw the most recent recruit leaving his conference with Malleck, and tried to gauge the man's mood. He looked rather dejected, but also determined. He must have gotten hired, but he's not looking forward to it. The reluctance was something Jax was all-too familiar with. Back when it had been him and K-
No. Keep away from it. Jax shook his head. The past is the past, keep moving.
He turned to face Malleck as he emerged from the room, and raised his eyebrows in a silent question.
"Yeah, he joined," Malleck answered. "bringing the total up to six." He pulled up a chair and let out a groan. "Still needing seven more. Any way we can boost the recruitment rate?" he asked, leaning back.
"Not without raising any flags from the Royal Court." Jax reminded him. "Another Stash?" Malleck nodded. As he mixed the drink, Jax considered breaking his rule and telling Malleck about how he got his wound.
"Still, this is rather taxing. Fifteen interviews a day, only about two joining." He groaned again and leaned forward onto the bar. "But the low profile is more important." Jax handed him his drink. "Can't be too careful when you're planning to kill a king."
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!