An Oceanic Adventure - A Top 8 Oceanics Report.

Here is the place to promote your local tournament events and to report on the results. It is also the place for YCG online tournaments, YVD and DMG.
moonsaber
Ghost Rare Duelist

An Oceanic Adventure - A Top 8 Oceanics Report.

Post by moonsaber » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:54 am

This is a c/p since I couldn't be bothered writing two.

Hello Duelists. My name is Piers Sinclair but most of you probably know me as "that guy who looks like Urthor", if you know me at all that is.

Anyway I'm here to drop you my tournament report from the Australian Nationals/Oceanics over the weekend. I'd been pretty much practicing 24/7 (when i wasn't working) in the month leading up to the event and felt very well prepared. I chose Nekroz because it's the best deck by far imo.

My mate Jcon was over from Perth and stayed at my place for the duration of the event. Together we smashed the theory and had great times.

Australian nationals

Round 1 - Sam Kershaw, Lightsworn
G1 - Trish + djinn. Why is there a lightsworn deck.
G2 - Pretty much the same thing.

1 - 0

Round 2 Michael Webb - Yang Zing
G1 - Trishula > Yang Zing
G2 - Floodgate central. Iron Wall + Drain = fun interactive game state. I did find out that Yang zings apparently have a lot more cute interactions than I thought though.
G3 - Trishula > Yang Zing

2 - 0

Round 3 Tim Packer - BA - Really nice guy, he ended up making top 16 iirc so gratz to him.
G1 - This is a massive grind and I fudge up near the end by accidentally trying to rank up ptol instead of just overlaying diamond so I had to make durendal. Doesn't matter because I was able to grind out his resources anyway. We only managed to play 1 game before time was called.

3 - 0

Round 4 - James Mcavitt - Nekroz
Can't remember much of games 1 and 2 but in game 3 we went to time and had a massive dispute about time and what turn it was. He was trying to say that the turn order was different to what the dice said? Yea i dunno, just a miscommunication I guess.

4 - 0

Round 5 - Lucas Reeves - Nekroz
Can't remember much about these games either but I remember that I won the final game with a clutch durendal. He played cycle and after chaining durendal he had to sack double manju for valkyrus.

5 - 0

Round 6 - Jayden Neville - Shaddolls
My mate from locals. I smash him because DA is 2 g.

6 - 0

Round 7 - Yaoweii - Nekroz
I'm sad I have to play Yaoweii :( We get deck checked.
G1 - He gets game loss for incorrect list.
G2 - I do some weird as fudge play and then lose.
G3 - He plays secret village and sets his hand. I search for dance and summon it. He realizes he has a secret village set in s/t zone and calls judge to maintain integrity.
Not much luck for Yaoweii :(.

7 - 0

Round 8 - Peter Mitro - Nekroz
G1 - I'm an idiot and attack into bull blader with valk.
G2 - I'm on tilt a bit and probably didn't play optimally.

7 - 1

Day 2:

Round 9 - Bohdan Temnyk (Who is this guy? Does anyone know?) Nekroz
G1 - He smashes me somehow.
G2 - I make some sick plays to setup my mistake and flip it. He is losing but top decks the 1 mst he left in his deck and smashes me. GG MST too stronk.

7 - 2

I finish 9th in swiss. Top 64 here we go (wtf?)

Top 64:

Ilias Vingos (My friend from locals) - Nekroz
G1 - I summon senju and pass. He otks me.
G2 - I misplay and forget to search a mirror. It costs me the game.

Overall I feel like I didn't play my best at nats.

Oceanics

Round 1 - Bhupinder Purewal (The Bujin God Himself :)) - Satellar
G1: TKR is 2 g.
G2: Nekroz is 2 g.
G3: Denko Sekka is 2 g.

1 - 0

ROund 2 - Kevin Sheo (nice guy from locals :P) - Nekroz
G1 - I senju pass and get OTKed.
G2 - TKR is a good card (I sided it)
G3 - He thought lancea could be used in his turn and went for game. The poor guy :(.

2 - 0

Round 3 - Steven Chen - Satellar
G1: He does satellar stuff and im like omgwtfbbqsauce ima lose.
G2: Denko Sekka is King.
G3: Denko Sekka is King.

3 - 0

Round 4 Rhys Cunningham (great guy from locals) - Shaddoll
G1: He bricks and I do nekroz stuff, trish is a good card.
G2: Refer game 1.

4 - 0

At this stage I'm pretty much starving. There was no break all day so I had to scrounge around for food. I managed to get a half eaten box of cold chips (thanks Dmoss mah boi) and a muesli bar. This is gonna have to last me quite some time.

Round 5 Marcus Wheeler - Qliphort
G1: Yea I'm that dude with the bleeding nose, anyway I misplay this game and search the wrong card after resolving an exciton for 5 or 6.
G2: Necrovalley + lose a turn is difficult to out. Don't see any eclipse/mst.

4 - 1

Round 6 Peter Mitro - Nekroz
Revenge Match.
G1: He beats me somehow, otk i think.
Can't remember much of g2/3 but i won. He kept complaining about bricks but his hand didnt seem that bad.

5 - 1

My man Jcon rocks up with a couple of picnics and a bag of nuts. It's a real life saver, I feel rejuvenated and continue on.

Round 7 Henry Lai - ritual beast
G1: He takes like 1 million years to do ritual beast things. Takes ages to think about what to search/summon for every little thing. I think he might have been slow playing me but he was pretty young so I just let it slide.
G2: Denko Sekka is King.
G3: We go into time pretty quickly. I open double denko. He goes first and sets 4. I summon denko and he flips chaos trap hole (Yay since it's time). I proceed to search cycle and trishula then activate cycle. He activates mind crush and calls shurit. Im like wut and just summon trish from grave.

6 - 1

Round 8 Hayden Matthews - Nekroz
G1: I djinn lock and he outs me.
He offers to side out vanities and djinn. He seemed like a really nice/reputable guy so I yolo it since my side deck is pretty stones without Djinn imo.
G2: I draw Kycoo and OTK him.
G3: I go for game with Kycoo. He Maxx "C"s but it doesn't matter.

7 - 1

I finish second in swiss and feeling a lot better about how I played than at Nationals.

Top 16 Kezza Doyle (Fantastic guy, organizes oceanics in NZ. Really helped me to relax in top cut.)
G1: He didn't open any traps so I just trish him. He mentions it's one of the first time he's ever lost a game 1 to nekroz
G2: He floodgates me and I have no outs.
G3: I drew eclipse. Eclipse is the best card. We have a bit of back and forth before going into time. Once we hit time I just take full control of the game and he can't do much.

Top 8 Feature Match Oliver Parle (Very respected player. Glad he won the event after I got knocked out :)) - Nekroz
G1: He opens bad and I just win.
We get deck checked. He gets a warning because his raigeki was bent. Bohdan uses the feature match evidence to show that it's probably not intentionally marked.
G2: We have some back and forth. I end up playing prep but I lose because I search clausolas (thought I had a level 12 in the extra deck.) which forces me to make a suboptimal play into a lancea I was fairly sure he had.
G3: We have some more back and forth. I drop a valk and sack for two which draws me into double lancea (oh dear). He goes and plays gungnir+secret village. I draw unicore but with no brionac in grave I had no way to search for dance princess (had eclipse in hand if he chains gung).

Here's my deck list:

Overall the weekend was really sweet. I got mad prizes and got to see some great people from other states.

Shout outs to Nathan Kosc, Steven Lau, Steven Tsui, Bradley Bugeja and all the Perth duelists and all the Melbourne duelists for helping me do mad testing and generally making the event great.

Pros:
Mad Prizes.
Seeing fellow duelists from other states.
Top 8 Oceanics
Top 64 Nats
Playing cube

Cons:
Koscy getting sacked by FTK at Oceanics.
Top 64 cut off for nats (wtf lol?)
No breaks and too much ygo at once.
Not playing more cube.
Being sick (still am :()

Hope you guys enjoyed my report. Peace out duelists.
D Net Username: Moonsaber
Australian Nationals 2015 Top 64 (9th in swiss)
Oceanic championship 2015 Top 8 (2nd in swiss)
YCS Sydney 2016 Top 8 (5th in swiss)

XYZ Dragon Cannon
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: An Oceanic Adventure - A Top 8 Oceanics Report.

Post by XYZ Dragon Cannon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:16 am

boiiiii
X X

moonsaber
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by moonsaber » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:22 am

XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:boiiiii
I forgot to mention you and lightflare in the video QQQ.

XYZ Dragon Cannon
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by XYZ Dragon Cannon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:38 am

moonsaber wrote:
No [bleep] aye

Also, this: http://ygorganization.com/hiddenarsenalftk/
X X

Star08
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Star08 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:42 am

Well done dude that is amazing
Signature by Zanrith

thank you to stardust for the great sig and mystic for the avatar
DN name star07
PM for a duel

Nash
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Nash » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:18 am

Nice job cheese
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:weow all these h8rz rnt 1337 enuf to roll wiv us Nash
#H8uscoztheyaintuz
Zanrith wrote:
Nash wrote:What else do rich people have?
Love for Donald Trump
Signature is obviously by Evilfaic...
Discord: Ian#1337

dracostrike
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dracostrike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:17 am

XD If only I was in Australia
Dnet: dracostrike *Signature created by DFB*
Zeta wrote:DRACO I FORGOT YOUR A PERSON! YO lol!

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:08 am

Nice bangin out there m9
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

einstein
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by einstein » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Most of the people at the ARG (not that it's super representative - there were fewer than 100 people I believe) were maining Exiled Force over D.D. Warrior Lady/Bull Blader because you don't have to attack so Valk isn't an out, and you get to make more plays before the Battle Phase. What are your thoughts?
*Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*

The more you observe, the less you assume.

Reading is fundamental.

Master Lightflare
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Master Lightflare » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:54 pm

moonsaber wrote:
QQ

Congrats on the top 8 though. The mistake tech for Nats was really interesting and it seems like it worked well. Why didn't you use secret village? It annoyed me throughout all of nats.

ChaosDraGon00 wrote:
moonsaber wrote:Stop you are giving me a headache
You're giving me cancer so what's your point?

moonsaber
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by moonsaber » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:52 pm

einstein wrote:Most of the people at the ARG (not that it's super representative - there were fewer than 100 people I believe) were maining Exiled Force over D.D. Warrior Lady/Bull Blader because you don't have to attack so Valk isn't an out, and you get to make more plays before the Battle Phase. What are your thoughts?
A lot were playing it here as well. I would imagine it is better in the mirror match but a lot worse in other matchups.

Also everyone was playing gungnir and a lot were searching it so that was somewhat relevant as well since they gungnir your exiled and you just get rekt. Realistically with the warrior outs it comes down to what people search when they drop djinn lock. Most people stopped playing warrior lady but bull blader was everywhere and some people started maining exiled so the turn 1 search of choice throughout the day was gungnir, this made DDWL the best choice for the event imo.

Alot of the nekroz choices are actually very dependent on meta. For example if people play 2 trish then veiler is terrible etc. If people play around certain cards then other cards are terrible (e.g. mind crush, maxx c). It's really just about making the right meta calls.

I also think that you should be siding for blow outs because if both players are competent in the mirror and you try to grind with them it will always end with 50/50 loss/win. As a result it's better to side cards which outright win you the match so you have an edge.
Master Lightflare wrote:
moonsaber wrote:
QQ

Congrats on the top 8 though. The mistake tech for Nats was really interesting and it seems like it worked well. Why didn't you use secret village? It annoyed me throughout all of nats.
I didn't play gungnir (which is the best way to setup village) and I think that secret village is a very vulnerable out. A lot of people were playing dance princess so that smashes village too. I like Chris Mattiske's Deck Lockdown tech but I honestly didn't think of the card, in hindsight I might have played that. Kycoo was pretty bangout in the mirror though. It just killed people.

Master Lightflare
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Master Lightflare » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:01 am

moonsaber wrote:I didn't play gungnir (which is the best way to setup village) and I think that secret village is a very vulnerable out. A lot of people were playing dance princess so that smashes village too. I like Chris Mattiske's Deck Lockdown tech but I honestly didn't think of the card, in hindsight I might have played that. Kycoo was pretty bangout in the mirror though. It just killed people.
I forgot you weren't playing gungnir. It and secret village is just deadly. Doesn't dance princess also die to gungir?

ChaosDraGon00 wrote:

moonsaber
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by moonsaber » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:04 am

Master Lightflare wrote:
moonsaber wrote:I didn't play gungnir (which is the best way to setup village) and I think that secret village is a very vulnerable out. A lot of people were playing dance princess so that smashes village too. I like Chris Mattiske's Deck Lockdown tech but I honestly didn't think of the card, in hindsight I might have played that. Kycoo was pretty bangout in the mirror though. It just killed people.
I forgot you weren't playing gungnir. It and secret village is just deadly. Doesn't dance princess also die to gungir?
Not if you have eclipse but ordinarily yes.

Master Lightflare
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Master Lightflare » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:20 pm

moonsaber wrote:
Master Lightflare wrote:
Not if you have eclipse but ordinarily yes.
Ah. That's a good point.

ChaosDraGon00 wrote: