Why I can't love my country anymore

Need to rant? Looking for some opinions on how to resolve a problem. No politics or personal attacks here.
User avatar
Marceline
Rare Duelist
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 am
Location: Burger King

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Marceline » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:47 pm

I don't normally go into politics, because I hate it with a passion. -_-
From what I've learned just by watching each president go by during their runs, its nothing but pain and heartaches.
Its reached a point where you'll never get anything done, and you'll never will. Because there will always be hate, greed, violence, etc. somewhere in this world. There is no stopping that until the day we go extinct. Whether we kill ourselves, whether the sun blows up and solar flares hit earth, zombie apocalypse, alien invasion. Or hell, earth gets hit by a gigantic meteor like what possibly killed the dinosaurs.
If you wanted a world of sunshine and rainbows that escapes the reality you live in, then you'd want a world like My Little Pony or SpongeBob Squarepants. But even then, you had people like Nightmare Moon, Discord, Squidward, and Plankton. It's just like Twilight Sparkle's science, you can never have a positive, without a negative.

You want to know what I do despite all of this mess? I try to ignore the negative around me, and live in the positive as much as I possibly can.
Unless it involves me or anyone I know, the rest of this world is none of my damn business, including war, politics, etc.
I live my life the way I see fit until the day I die. It may not be a road that is 100% safe from the cruel reality, but its pretty close since I don't keep those kind of clouds over my head. If I even attempt to think about the negative, it just gives me a headache I don't need when I should be focusing on the positive.

I'm not saying you should live life like me, but it helps me. Because now all I do is live my life to the fullest without any regrets^^
Image

User avatar
LewieGee
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 14195
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:17 am
Location: je suis la garre

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by LewieGee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:33 pm

America is baaaa*jaw detaches*aaaaaaaaaaaaad
:oops:

User avatar
HotRod
Super Rare Duelist
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 pm
Location: Somewhere beyond human comprehension

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by HotRod » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Wallaceman105 wrote:
Most of those things were infrastructure, manufacturing, or technological things that other countries matched and surpassed us in decades ago, like our decrepit power grid, or our now dead-in-the-water automotive industry.
Yeah, my point still stands. The U.S. has been the pioneer in many fields of manufacturing and science since its creation, hence why we've been and still are a world superpower.
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:
No
Uh, actually yes.
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:
Yes, doesn't mean America doesnt make a lot of mistakes, they have just had the upper hand in resources and a good economy, learning the most used language in the world etc.
Our "resources" have nothing to do with it. The Native Americans were on the same land for a very long time but still couldn't compete with the Europeans when they came. If a good economy isn't a strong indication of a good country, I don't know what is. Also, have you thought about why English is the most common language in the world? Look at America.
Submit to his will.

User avatar
Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 pm

HotRod wrote: The Native Americans were on the same land for a very long time but still couldn't compete with the Europeans when they came. If a good economy isn't a strong indication of a good country, I don't know what is. Also, have you thought about why English is the most common language in the world? Look at America.
Couldn't "compete" with them? I'm assuming if you know basic history, this is your way of saying that the common decency of the Native Americans got in the way of them "succeeding", and that the europeans won because of repeated broken promises and breaches of human rights.

If you think a good economy is a good indication of a good country, I'd call into question your definition of "good".

English is the most common language (besides mandarin because of the sheer population of the chinese in comparison to the rest of the world) because many online sources, TNC's etc originate from America, but also because a lot of the most powerful countries (US, UK, Canada, Australia etc) have it as their primary language. It doesn't help that if I recall correctly, America and the UK have an extremely low rate of bilingual education in comparison to other MEDC's. This was particularly prevelant in the recent France attacks, where in many news stories French natives were able to speak near fluent english.
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

User avatar
Nash
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Barian World
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Nash » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:40 pm

I like how we were talking about politics and now we're talking about how America is good/bad
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:weow all these h8rz rnt 1337 enuf to roll wiv us Nash
#H8uscoztheyaintuz
Zanrith wrote:
Nash wrote:What else do rich people have?
Love for Donald Trump
Image
Signature is obviously by Evilfaic...
Discord: Ian#1337

User avatar
Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist
Posts: 3709
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Exploring parts previously known.
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Wallaceman105 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:43 pm

HotRod wrote:
Wallaceman105 wrote:
Most of those things were infrastructure, manufacturing, or technological things that other countries matched and surpassed us in decades ago, like our decrepit power grid, or our now dead-in-the-water automotive industry.
Yeah, my point still stands. The U.S. has been the pioneer in many fields of manufacturing and science since its creation, hence why we've been and still are a world superpower.
Your point was to use those as things to take pride in and be grateful for. That's not right. Not only did this and the previous generation have nothing to do with any of those things, the previous generation (defined by me as roughly those aged 45-60) had a direct hand in allowing those things to fall apart, for the most part.
A significant part of the reason for that is very easy to spot.
Compare how much time, in your high school history class, you spent on the world wars, with the amount of time you spent on Native Americans. Not just colonial times, but Native Americans specifically.
For that matter, what about the Japanese internment camps?
America's sense of greatness is born from being stuck in the past. For most of the world, WWII is something they discuss, learn from, and move on. America hasn't, although it's lessening with every generation. We were all raised with that broken record spinning in our ears: America is the freest country. America is the greatest. America is the best in the world.
Free citizens? Name a country, 90% chance it has free citizens. Greatest country? That's not even a proper claim. What category? Because last time I checked, our military and incarceration rates were the only ones we were leading in. Best in the world? With what evidence? We've got as many flaws and skeletons in our closet as any other country.
Look around, we're only a world superpower because we bully our way into those ranks with our military. Because we have the UN headquarters in New York. Because we have a bunch of nukes. We aren't a superpower out of success, we're one out of appeasement on behalf of the rest of the world.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!
Image

User avatar
Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 am

Nash wrote:I like how we were talking about politics and now we're talking about how America is good/bad
The two are sorta interrelated in America's case

Also Wallace I bet u watched this vid lol

ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

User avatar
Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 11043
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Zanrith » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 am

Rowwdy Yisb wrote:
Nash wrote:I like how we were talking about politics and now we're talking about how America is good/bad
The two are sorta interrelated in America's case

Also Wallace I bet u watched this vid lol

This actually explains things really well tbh
insert clever signature here

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19600
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am

Rowwdy Yisb wrote:
HotRod wrote: Also, have you thought about why English is the most common language in the world? Look at America.
English is the most common language (besides mandarin because of the sheer population of the chinese in comparison to the rest of the world) because many online sources, TNC's etc originate from America, but also because a lot of the most powerful countries (US, UK, Canada, Australia etc) have it as their primary language. It doesn't help that if I recall correctly, America and the UK have an extremely low rate of bilingual education in comparison to other MEDC's. This was particularly prevelant in the recent France attacks, where in many news stories French natives were able to speak near fluent english.
Well, English isn't even the most common spoken language.
It's behind Chinese (mostly because of China's native population size) and Spanish.

However, neither of your reasons are why it's popular.
It's basically popular around the world for the same reason Spanish is.
England was very imperialistic.

People used to say, "The sun never sets on the British Empire."
Back in its colonial period, England literally owned territory all around the world.
It has very little to do with the modern version of either the United States or the United Kingdom.
It has to do with how far reaching England's control and influence was back then.

Again, this is why Spanish is so popular around the world.
They basically went around, conquered territories, and forced them to speak their language.

It persists now because, after centuries of speaking one languange, people aren't too keen on changing.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Dude I took geography over history ok I wanted my knowledge to worth something
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

User avatar
dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 6534
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Dragons Graveyard
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by dedoombringer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Then why bother with geography. Countries come and go to rowdy

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19600
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:32 pm

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Nash
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Barian World
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Nash » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:42 pm

MysticJhn wrote:"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Yeah, that's very true
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:weow all these h8rz rnt 1337 enuf to roll wiv us Nash
#H8uscoztheyaintuz
Zanrith wrote:
Nash wrote:What else do rich people have?
Love for Donald Trump
Image
Signature is obviously by Evilfaic...
Discord: Ian#1337

User avatar
Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8392
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: London, Britain
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:46 pm

dedoombringer wrote:Then why bother with geography. Countries come and go to rowdy
Ayo I got an A* in Geography and D in history, which u think im gonna do
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

User avatar
dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 6534
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Dragons Graveyard
Contact:

Re: Why I can't love my country anymore

Post by dedoombringer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Math

Post Reply