Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Need to rant? Looking for some opinions on how to resolve a problem. No politics or personal attacks here.
Post Reply
User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19612
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Currently ranting due to a certain someone around me smoking a disgusting cigar.
What is wrong with smokers?
It smells bad to everyone to the point that nobody wants you inside,
it stains teeth, gives cancer, hurts people who aren't even smokers, and above all, it's stupid.
I mean, for frick sake, you're sticking leaves and paper into your mouth and setting it on fire.
Literally.
Leaves and paper, in your mouth.
It's garbage.
Yet, for some reason, when it's neatly rolled up, it's somehow acceptable?
NO!
All cigars and cigarettes should vanish from the planet instantly right now and whomever can't handle that should just drop dead.
Dropping dead is the only goal of sticking something that's burning in your mouth anyway.
If any of you smoke, next time you go to do it, think about it as dead leaves and paper.
Because it is.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Zanrith
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 11043
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by Zanrith » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

When people smoke at bus stops is when it's the worst.
Now it's not that bad on my current commute. My bus stop is on my college campus and I'm able to go inside the business building if people are smoking out there (even though they shouldn't).
But on my old commute in downtown, every single day, at least 4 to 5 people smoking at the bus stop. My college was a few blocks away, and there were only businesses around, so I couldn't exactly just walk into a building to avoid it.
The worst part is people aren't supposed to smoke at bus stops.
Do they care? Of course not!
I've seen a few people even light up on the bus itself before as well. Not even vaping (which isnt much better), but actually lighting a cigarette.
Grew up with a smoker in the family as well. Let's just say I'm anything but a fan of it.
insert clever signature here

User avatar
Evilfaic
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:05 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by Evilfaic » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Was just on a college campus tour. This specific college is touted as "clean air" and as having a "smoke-free campus". So, naturally, this dude wearing all camo is smoking on campus RIGHT AS I'm walking past a "clean air campus" sign.
(Formerly DFB)
if (Post.Year < 2015) Post.Ignore();
https://soundcloud.com/evilfaic
LewieGee wrote:I, for one, think the guy with the shrek avatar on yugioh card guide forums for com is right

User avatar
Raphaelsia
Rare Duelist
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm
Location: Indiana, I'm living in a hole somewhere with Atrax & her friends.

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by Raphaelsia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

I will say this, and only because I've been through it for the past 26 years. I just hope people won't criticize me for what I have to say.
I only say this because my Dad has smoked for over 50 years. Just like his father and people past him before him.

He started out with cigarettes in the 1960's when he was 15 years old. But cigarettes gave him his first heart attack in 2000. (Keep in mind, that would've been close to or if not over 40 years) The doctors told him he needed to quit, but he wouldn't. Smoking is actually the only thing that helps his nerves and stress levels. Keeps him calm when he's agitated.
So, the doctors told him if he was going to smoke, smoke cigars instead of cigarettes. As it was less harmful than cigarettes since they use more bi-products that were more harmful than the tobacco itself.

So, from 2000 onward. He's smoked cigars. And he's never had a health issue since. Even when he's visited doctors for check-ups.

True story. They've took x-rays and used their stethoscopes. Woman doctor asked him "Sir, you've never smoked a day in your life have you?"
Me and my dad just laughed, my dad replied "Mam, I have smoked for over 40 years."
She continued to tell him that nobody couldn't ever tell because his lungs was clear as a bell.

Hard to believe I know, but what I'm trying to say. Is that it works different for certain people. Not all of them have the same reactions to smoking as most. Yes, its harmful, but only depends on your health and family background in general. There is a difference between cigarettes and cigars. And if my Dad (bless his heart) hadn't of switched. He probably wouldn't still be around. And today my Dad is 69 years-old. Will be 70 in September.

I could say I have several things against smoking, because I don't smoke myself and never will. But I don't judge my Dad for it and I've always felt he'd be alright even if he does smoke, and I don't hold it against him for doing so. You could probably call me or my family lucky or crazy. But I just think it's a miracle to my family at least. Idk what else to call it, or know how my Dad or family in general managed to get so far.
Image
Signature created by: Raphaelsia

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19612
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 pm

See, although you paint your father as an exception to things, I am getting stuck on "cigarettes gave him his first heart attack".
Then, when you say the doctor told him to smoke cigars instead, that sounds like a doctor that's given up hope of him not smoking.
It would be like a doctor telling a mobidly obese man, "If you're going to overeat, at least eat something other than fried foods all day."
I'm willing to be cigarettes weren't smoked to keep him "calm when he's agitated" at 15.
It's more like cigarettes were sold as cool and it was the 60s when people didn't consider how bad they were and were marketed towards kids
so as to get them hooked early.

Just because something has been done forever doesn't make it good.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Raphaelsia
Rare Duelist
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm
Location: Indiana, I'm living in a hole somewhere with Atrax & her friends.

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by Raphaelsia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm

I agree, and I'm not saying it is good by any means. It was just what I personally grew up with and seen with my own eyes.
I could honestly say Idk what it was like when he was younger. Maybe you're right on that part, but I personally don't know. I just know as he got older and when I first came around. (1990) He used it more in the way I mentioned.

My Dad had also been through a lot as well over the years. He's a veteran for one. Won the Purple Heart among other achievements. He still has flashbacks from time to time. Whenever he did, smoking was the first thing he would do. I honestly want to say its a depressant for him. But don't know if that would be the right term as Idk what else to call it tbh.

I just know when he had the first heart attack in 2000. What the doctor told him "may of changed" his life for the better in the way he knew how to deal with someone who is as "very" stubborn as my father. I can gladly say he's never had lung or heart problems since. I mean, yes he's had issues. But they were never heart, lung, or cancer related. It was more just going to veteran's clinic for them to take blood samples and see how he was doing. (He is Diabetic) He's also had to take colonoscopies and such, but most times he's always been doing fairly well, which I'm thankful at least
Image
Signature created by: Raphaelsia

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19612
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:18 am

Just to be clear, in case it sounds like it, but I'm not disrespecting your father in any way.
I mean, clearly I've never met him, so I haven't a clue what he's like, and being a Purple Heart recipiant, he's clearly done much good with his life.
I don't pretend to be a doctor or even have any sort of deep understanding of medecine, but if I had to guess,
the relaxing effect is more a subconscious mental connection smoking has to a time previous his tramatic war experiences.
You did say he's been smoking since he was 15, and I would assume that's more relaxing than whatever he's experinced in combat.
The way I see it, I'm sure anything he was hooked on at the time before his war experience would have the same calming effect.
Again, I'm no expert, so I can only assume.

Anyway, your father's exception aside, this thread is just a basic rant about hating smoking in general.
I'm a pretty clean living person. No smoking, no alcohol, no drugs (medical drugs aside, naturally).
Smoking is the worst to me compared to drinking or even someone doing pot (although, frankly, never been around that to compare).
It's the only one of these bad habits that has such a noxious byproduct.

If someone drunk walks past me on the sidewalk, the worst thing that happens is I avoid them stumbling into me.
If someone walks past me puffing on a cigarette, I'm still suffering it in what should be otherwise fresh air.
Not to mention that I can still smell their trail of smoke when I'm a block away because it lingers around.
I can't breathe in or choke on someone else's inebriated state.
Meanwhile my neighbor chain smoking in their yard can waft all the way over to my house and into my windows.
A person I'm not even interacting with is still negatively effecting my environment, and that's detestable.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Raphaelsia
Rare Duelist
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm
Location: Indiana, I'm living in a hole somewhere with Atrax & her friends.

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by Raphaelsia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm

You're fine Mystic, really. I just seen this and wanted to comment some experiences I've had with it myself. Expressing opinions are better for both sides of the argument. :3
I do know however and I can understand how that feels to not be able to breathe^
People breathing on you or having bad breath due to smoking or drinking is not the greatest feeling in the world either. Yuck xS
Image
Signature created by: Raphaelsia

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist
Posts: 19612
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:32 pm

lol, I'm not a fan of being breathed on under any circumstances.
That there is a person standing way too close. :mrgreen:
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
dracostrike
Ghost Rare Duelist
Posts: 8654
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 am
Location: I am Fire. I am Death!

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by dracostrike » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 pm

Sadly the environment I am currently encourages it so I am not too pleased about it. It's almost antisocial with people disappearing outside to smoke but it helps them get through the stress here ^^ I found playing games is my release, be it yugioh, pokemon, etc.
Image
Dnet: dracostrike *Signature created by DFB*
Zeta wrote:DRACO I FORGOT YOUR A PERSON! YO lol!

User avatar
Nash
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Barian World
Contact:

Re: Smoking - Please Leave the Planet

Post by Nash » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 pm

I agree Mystic, but apparently once you smoke you can't stop or whatever that nonsense is
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:weow all these h8rz rnt 1337 enuf to roll wiv us Nash
#H8uscoztheyaintuz
Zanrith wrote:
Nash wrote:What else do rich people have?
Love for Donald Trump
Image
Signature is obviously by Evilfaic...
Discord: Ian#1337

Post Reply