Irish is hard!

Need to rant? Looking for some opinions on how to resolve a problem. No politics or personal attacks here.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Irish is hard!

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 am

Just for the fun of it, I've been trying trying to learn the Irish language.
I found a nice website to learn different languages called Duolingo, so I've been taking their lessons.
Now, while it's nice and simple to use, it's more a crash course.
Even at the basic level, you're basically thrown a set of words and more or less learn through repetition.
You start using words and reading them in sentences, but I feel like a bit of context is missing.

The problem I'm having is around the verbiage and usage of verbs and conjugating them.
It's hard to remember which forms of which verbs to use when.
That's something you really need a human tutor for, as nobody explains to you the way I'm doing it
which form of which verb is masculine or feminine or plural and which form of it is attached to which subject.

On top of the grammatical problems, my brain is struggling with the sentence structure being jumbled compared to English.
Normal English sentences start with the subject, and the verb follows.
Irish seems to put the verb first, so it's written out of order to how I've been reading and writing for my almost 37 years.
It would be like saying "Eat she an apple" instead of "She eats an apple."
With different versions of "eat" depending on if it's male, female, or myself!

And then there's the actual pronunciation of words and letter combinations.
I see words like "fear", which is Irish for "man", and my brain wants to read it like the English word it looks like, but it's not.
Then there are words that use letters that don't seem to be pronounced while the word being spoken to me pronounces letters I'm not seeing.
The first time I see a new word, it looks like it should be pronounced one way, but when the program finally says it out loud, it sounds like a whole different word. Then I find out it's a word i already learned, but because I've only seen it written, I couldn't recognize it.
Once again, that's one place a human tutor would help, since you'd see the word written at the same time you learned to pronounce it,
so it would be easier to both learn to say it and learn to associate the spelling with the spoken word.

I knew this was not going to be easy, and it is only the third night I've been trying to learn, but it is NOT easy.
Maybe this is why you see Irish people in the modern world speaking English for the most part. :D
This language FEELS medieval.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!