Set Discussion Organization

Tired of the meta? Wishing for a tier 3 land of equality? Join us here and do more than just make your cards, play duels with them as well as your fellow YCGers created cards. Yes this is your portal to that freedom. Now get your game on.
The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Set Discussion Organization

Post by The Stranger » Thu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm

How should the set discussion be organized? This is really just a place to voice your opinion before I switch it over, and hopefully change if there's something about the current plan that anyone would be unhappy with.

Basically, as it is now, I planned to have everyone make their own individual thread, named after them (I.E. "The Stranger's Cards") where I would move all of their current cards to.
Whenever the next set comes around we would reuse those threads.

Any problems? If you have any input at all, say something. I'll be reorganizing on Saturday.
This is how the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Re: Set Discussion Organization

Post by dedoombringer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Maybe something like europe, asia, and east and west America split by the mississippi?

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Thu May 30, 2013 8:35 pm

dedoombringer wrote:Maybe something like europe, asia, and east and west America split by the mississippi?
Ummmmmm... What?

Phazed
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Phazed » Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Or you can just make it as big as the Deck Advice. Let's face it, it's going to be really unorganized if people just keep posting in their own threads. Bump after bump after bump.

If they have a separate thread for each archetype they make, then it's easier to control. Easier to tell which ideas haven't been looked at, etc.

If you mean by thread, you mean folder then that makes sense.
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:Lesson bloody learnt you slifer slacker.
Signature created by Kamikon Wolf
= Guide to Mecha Phantom Beasts =
= Guide to Hieratics =

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Fri May 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Phazed wrote:Or you can just make it as big as the Deck Advice. Let's face it, it's going to be really unorganized if people just keep posting in their own threads. Bump after bump after bump.

If they have a separate thread for each archetype they make, then it's easier to control. Easier to tell which ideas haven't been looked at, etc.

If you mean by thread, you mean folder then that makes sense.
I mean by thread, I don't think I could make a folder like that (although I would do that if I could.)
I'm confused as to why the archetype threads would be easier to control or easier to see what cards have been made and what haven't.
But I do see one thing about that method- that it would be much easier to gauge if they have too many cards in one set. You could just go to the first post, and even make people include a counter for each type of card at the bottom. Although I'm kind of worried that people would lean towards making a new archetype every time with that method, which is something I really don't want people to do- I want them to stop once they're managing 2-3 archetypes and develop those for a few sets rather than feeling the need to use every archetype support slot on a new archetype that they throw away come the next set.
Maybe standardize the name of their thread? Like "[Name of Poster] - [Set Name]" for each thread title, with the actual cards having no unified name? That way it would still feel like everyone's contributing to one big thing, and no one would be tempted to make an archetype just to have a name for the cards they made (It sounds like a stupid thing to worry about, but I KNOW people are going to name threads like that, and if everyone's naming their threads stuff named after archetypes the next guy probably will too, and that will snowball until you need a new archetype for each set.)

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Perhaps a thread for each archetype, that could then be locked my Stranger or Doom at completion of votes.

Not sure how generic submissions would be worked? Perhaps a thread for each type/attribute to be initiated by Doom/Stranger? With a list of cards under consideration, and completed cards in the OP?

Then have a sticky with either spoilers of accepted sets and/or a link to the locked thread?
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

Phazed
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Phazed » Fri May 31, 2013 7:04 pm

"[Name of Poster] - [Set Name]" sounds good.
So on adding new ideas, are we to edit the original post, or add a new post to our own threads?
Maybe limit how many cards people can make for a whole set? It'd kinda suck if one person is making all of the cards in a set.
Rowwdy Yisb wrote:Lesson bloody learnt you slifer slacker.
Signature created by Kamikon Wolf
= Guide to Mecha Phantom Beasts =
= Guide to Hieratics =

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Fri May 31, 2013 7:30 pm

Lord dragon wrote:Perhaps a thread for each archetype, that could then be locked my Stranger or Doom at completion of votes.

Not sure how generic submissions would be worked? Perhaps a thread for each type/attribute to be initiated by Doom/Stranger? With a list of cards under consideration, and completed cards in the OP?

Then have a sticky with either spoilers of accepted sets and/or a link to the locked thread?
Every time someone says archetype it scares me. I don't want you guys to think of it as submitting an archetype for the set. You're submitting cards, and I not only allow but encourage you to not make a new archetype every set. If everyone makes a new archetype every set then we would only have to make like 10 sets before we outnumber the amount of archetypes in yugioh. I think you can imagine what a pain it would be to keep all of that balanced and interesting.

Phazed wrote:"[Name of Poster] - [Set Name]" sounds good.
So on adding new ideas, are we to edit the original post, or add a new post to our own threads?
Maybe limit how many cards people can make for a whole set? It'd kinda suck if one person is making all of the cards in a set.
Probably both. The post so that people can easily comment on just the new cards and can see from the set discussion subforum that you have updated, the edit so that we can see all the cards you made by looking at the OP if we need to get caught up.
There's already a limit to how many cards can be submitted per set. I might also put a limit to how many cards can be up for discussion at a time, like you can submit 10 cards, get those approved, then submit another 10. Although I would have to come up with a way to account for people with large, interrelated synergies.

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Ok, so, slight problem-
A lot of your replies to people's cards are conjoined together. I can't split one post into multiple posts, so we're going to have to come up with a solution.
We could just have all the approves until now not count, which is the easiest option.
We could have everyone post their own critiques over again, word for word how it was in the discussion thread.
Those are my two suggestions for now. I'll delay the reorganization for a bit so that we can sort that out. Also because I am continuously more confused every time I try to split off posts as their own topic.