Set Discussion Guidelines

Discuss the balance of sets, and approve or disapprove of someone's submissions here.
The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Set Discussion Guidelines

Post by The Stranger » Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 pm

These are the rules for getting your cards into a set, please read these before submitting!

1.) The Process
This the exact process that your cards will go through before they are added:
>Post in Your Own Set Discussion Thread
It's posted here first so that the submission thread only contains cards that are going in the set. The submission thread is more or less an archive and not where new submissions go. You must make your own thread to put your cards in, with the title "[Your Name] - [Set Name]". Please put your cards in multiple spoilers so that it looks neat. If you want to comment on any card, it must be in that card's discussion thread.
>Approval Process
This is the part in which your cards are improved and balanced by members of the community. You must get 2 other users to approve of your submission before you may post it in the Set Submission thread.
>Posted In Set Submission Thread
Being in set submission means that you are not going to add any additional cards to this set. It does NOT mean that your cards are safe from vetoes, though.
>Set is finalized and added to YVD

Side Note: If any of your cards did not get the necessary approvals, was vetoed, or any other situation under which they would not be put into the set: You may add them to the next set without any repercussions. They do not have to abide by any theme or extra rules of that set, and they will not count towards any of your card totals.

2.) Vetoes and Approvals
If you comment on someone's card, any post that does not point out a flaw or suggest a change to the card is an approval, and any post that does is a veto. You can count posts that don't include this, but for functionality please say that the card is approved or vetoed clearly in your post, even bolding the word "approved" or "vetoed" if you want to be really nice. It just makes everything easier.
You need 2 approval posts to have a card pass. If someone vetoes your post, they must approve of it afterwards, even if it already has both of its approvals. A person's eventual approval after vetoing a card counts towards the two you need to pass though. Note that, until testing is done, your card can still be vetoed. If a person who has vetoed your card has not responded to you after 2 days, the veto no longer counts. If you do not respond within 2 days of a veto, your cards will not be included in the set until you respond.

3.) Formatting
Please abide by this format:

For monsters:
[spoiler]Name
Attribute
Level/Rank
Type/(extra types go here)/Effect
ATK/DEF
--------------Card Text-------------------[/spoiler]

For spell/traps:
[spoiler]Name
(Spell or Trap)/Type
--------------Card Text-------------------[/spoiler]

4.) Limits
In each set, each person can make only a certain amount of cards depending on their category:

You can only submit up to 10 cards total of any cards that:
>Supports a specific Archetype
>Supports a specific Card
>Supports a specific combination of Attribute and Type

You can have only 1 card that supports any type or attribute, per type or attribute.

You can submit as many cards as you like that:
>Are 100% splashable (basically a staple or semi-staple of some sort, everything from Mystical Space Typhoon to Vortex Trooper to Terraforming would count as this.)
>Are anti-support for a specific Type, Attribute, etc. (You know, side deck cards.)

For example, Judgment Dragon would be in the first category because it references "Lightsworn", but Ryko the Lightsworn Hunter would fit into the 3rd type because, while it is a lightsworn monster, it doesn't exclusively help lightsworn monsters.
As another example, I could submit "Mystic Tomato" and "Shining Angel" in the same set. However, I could not submit "Mystic Tomato" and "Dark Armed Dragon" in the same set, because I had already used my Dark suppport space. Similarly, if I submit "Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning" I couldn't submit "Mystic Tomato" OR "Shining Angel" because Black Luster Soldier is taking up both the Light and the Dark support spaces.

Theme:
Some sets have a theme to them. For now this is 2 chosen attributes that we are focusing on for the set. In the instance of this sort of theme follow these rules:
1.) Any new archetype submitted into your set must mostly consist of one or both of the themed attributes. This does not count for people re-submitting cards that didn't make the cut in previous sets, and does not count support added to old archetypes.
2.) For each individual attribute, the amount of support cards that may be submitted is increased to 5. In a war, this is increased to 6.
3.) In the case of the attributes becoming allies, you may submit as many cards that support a combination of the 2 attributes as you like.

Other notes:
If the attributes are at war, it is suggested that you make monsters that are a part of one attribute, and act as anti-support to the other.
If the attributes are becoming allies, it is suggested that you make monsters that are a part of one attribute but help the other- kind of like an ambassador.
It adds flavor and stuff.

If you have any suggestions or questions, as always, don't hesitate to post them!
Last edited by The Stranger on Sun May 26, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is how the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

LewieGee
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Set Discussion Guidelines

Post by LewieGee » Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 pm

But still only five cards per member per set, right?

Also what is the timeline for testing with YVD, working on the second set and the possibility of amending cards after they've been "released" on YVD? Some issues would show themselves more clearly after initial testing than by looking at them on paper, would there be a period where previously submitted cards can be changed or is this simply a ban list issue?
:oops:

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 pm

LewieGee wrote:But still only five cards per member per set, right?

Also what is the timeline for testing with YVD, working on the second set and the possibility of amending cards after they've been "released" on YVD? Some issues would show themselves more clearly after initial testing than by looking at them on paper, would there be a period where previously submitted cards can be changed or is this simply a ban list issue?
Talking with Dedoom about that, I don't want there to be a limit per post since there will inevitably be synergies that need more space than that for other people to get the whole picture.

The timeline for testing will end after the next meeting. Once we've got a little bit of momentum going in the current set, I'll try to figure out when would be the most convenient time schedule for those who want to play, considering we all have work/school and live in different timezones. Ideally I'm going to say a week, though.
And, for the record, the submission limits are negotiable if you don't think you can kick off your archetype in 10 cards
Last edited by The Stranger on Fri May 24, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LewieGee

Post by LewieGee » Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 pm

The Stranger wrote: Talking with Dedoom about that, I don't want there to be a limit per post since there will inevitably synergies that need more space than that for other people to get the whole picture.
Yeah, I'd be an advocate for this approach.

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dedoombringer » Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 pm

I only meant 5 per post to make it easier for comment and edits

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Sat May 25, 2013 9:37 pm

dedoombringer wrote:I only meant 5 per post to make it easier for comment and edits
Well, if they're going to post ~20 at once anyway, and it's all spoilered, is it really going to be any different?
I would certainly rather have people submit in shorter quantities than all at once, though. If we have multiple people submitting ~20 cards at once the thread will get cluttered fast, doubly so if they have to commit 4 posts to include all 20 cards.

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 am

Quick question on the first stage.

Do you mean Set Discussion thread (as in the Topic where everyone has all their submissions in one large mess) or in individual threads in the Set Discussion Folder?

And I suppose same question for Set Submissions.
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:04 am

Lord dragon wrote:Quick question on the first stage.

Do you mean Set Discussion thread (as in the Topic where everyone has all their submissions in one large mess) or in individual threads in the Set Discussion Folder?

And I suppose same question for Set Submissions.
For now it's in the set discussion thread.
Eventually people will make their own threads each set. We're working on splitting the current set discussion thread into a bunch of different threads.

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

I think I'm going to edit this so that you can have more type/attribute support. At the moment, if you wanted to make a card that is slightly different for each archetype, such as the elemental lords, it would be impossible.
I'm either going to make it 2-3 cards per type/attribute, or make it so that the same card taking different forms for multiple types/attributes only counts as 1 card for the limit (I.E. Mystic Tomato and Giant Rat would only count as 1 card.) I'm leaning towards the first one because it's much easier to track.
What do you guys think?

Kobalt
Super Rare Duelist

Post by Kobalt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:46 pm

So I could only submit 2/3 earth warriors for example? If so then that sounds good to me
DN: Genghis-Tron

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dedoombringer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:48 pm

As long as they are generic I dont eeee why they can't do more, but I will agree

The Stranger
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by The Stranger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Kobalt wrote:So I could only submit 2/3 earth warriors for example? If so then that sounds good to me
No, you could only submit 2-3 cards that support warriors and 2-3 cards that support Earth.
If you made a card that supported both at the same time, it goes under attribute.
dedoombringer wrote:As long as they are generic I dont eeee why they can't do more, but I will agree
It's not generic, though, it's for a specific type/attribute.
So it's close to generic but not quite splashable enough.

I was worried about people making a bunch of support for a specific type/attribute just for their own deck, because if you design a card around a specific archetype and make it usable with a wide variety of cards it can become problematic. I suppose the worry is a little bit silly.

LewieGee

Post by LewieGee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Well, looks like there's been a few submissions since I've been occupied...

Still though, a lot more people posting sets than critiquing. It's great posting 20 cards but without approving or amending any others, it's sort of... Eh...

Anyway, I'll look over these properly tomorrow.

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Just wondering, I can't recall it being said anywhere. But, are the creators of the cards suppose to specify if a card is limited/semi'ed or will that be decided once there are a few sets in set submissions?
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

dedoombringer
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dedoombringer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Once we get going they will be open to vote on problems. If a card is only meant as a one of or deemed to strong they may get it from the start.