Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
User avatar
Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist
Posts: 3706
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Exploring parts previously known.
Contact:

Duel Links General Discussion

Post by Wallaceman105 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Welcome to the Duel Links General Thread!
This is the spot for events, challenges, and anything else!
Note: Decklists have their own threads, please avoid clogging!:)
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!
Image

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

I shall start this thread off by cursing The Vagabond and shaking an angry fist at him.
Regardless of what challenge mode he starts me in, the worst is always his Fire Kings Deck.
That makes more of a difference than the challenges do.
I don't know who designed the decks for The Vagabond, but that one is too high class for me.

Also getting an angry fist shaken at them is Ishizu Ishtar.
I just recently got her available in the portal, and while I beat her at Level 10, her Level 20 killed me twice because
she came locked and loaded, first hand, with Blast Held By A Tribute, blowing up my Blue-Eyes and then easily running over an empty field.
Honestly two duels in a row she set it to her back row on her first turn.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
xion52998
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm
Location: The point of no return.

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by xion52998 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:19 am

Speaking of the vagabond, winning really doesn't matter-losing vs a 1 card hand challenge will give you more exp than winning vs any other challenge.
Image
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah, but I'd still rather win.
Also, finally got my Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon. :)
lol, Now if only I could Summon it.

Also, I'm now at Stage 18, and the missions are getting more intense.
The Character Unlock missions are in particular obscure and difficult for a lot of them.
Particularly Pegasus and the Paradox Brothers would require very specific decks and duelists.
One of the Paradox Brothers missions require you to Fusion Summon twice in a single duel.
Heck, I only even own one copy of Polymerization, and I think BEUD is my only Fusion monster except maybe that terrible old card Mammoth of Goldfine or whatever it is.
Why is it harder to obtain the Paradox Brothers than a main character?
Pegasus requires a comeback victory by Yami Yugi, and I didn't even have Yami Yugi available to unlock until well after Pegasus was available to unlock.
No idea how low my LP have to be for the game to consider it a comeback victory.
Ishizu's one mission is crazy.
Win a duel with at least 6000 LP remaining.
Again, you'd practically need a deck built around that concept.
I have enough trouble beating her with any LP remaining, nevermind more than I started with.

Long story short, I am hitting a bit of a wall with regards to skill needed and cards available.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist
Posts: 3706
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Exploring parts previously known.
Contact:

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by Wallaceman105 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 am

OK, so, a quick rundown.
The game is more or less nostalgia-run, so main characters before side.
There's a fan-run wiki for the game on GameA.co, you should check it out for unlock advice.
Beating LDs at levels 10-30 is just a matter of getting better cards for the generic Combo deck you have to build. I assume you are playing as Kaiba, so your best bet is to save up 500 gems (or pay $2.99 and bite the bullet) to get the structure deck. It's a long road to save up that many, but with the Duel-a-Thon event, it will take far less time.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!
Image

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 pm

The structure deck was the first thing I bought.
I assume it's because I started after they added GX, so I started the game with the GX celebration bonuses
on top of the standard starting gems, but that was long ago.
However, yeah, I had a boat load of gems at the start.
Right now I need to save up 500 gems for Yugi's Spellcaster structure, because the cards Yami Yugi starts with are terrible.
Sure, I could just copy my Blue-Eyes Deck and hand it to Yugi to duel with, but that wouldn't feel right.
I want to give him a proper Spellcaster build, but I don't have enough Spellcasters to build a deck with, nevermind a good one.
Well, I could, but the majority of my Spellcasters are the Charmers, and the FLIP versions at that.
So I just gave him the deck I was using for Tea (which itself was basically built just to pass the "Play X Spell Cards in a single duel missions",
and slapped DM and DMG into it.
Funnily enough, because I spend most my time as Kaiba, Tea is my second highest Level character at Level 9. :P
I think for most the unlocks that don't require you to win, I might just slap together garbage decks that'll do the job.
For Ishizu's 6000+ LP win mission, I might have to train up Joey, as he has that skill that starts him at 5000.

As for "bite the bullet", there is no way I am ever paying money towards a Freemium game.
It's a scam to catch addicts with no patience.
It's not like I'm going to do better at PvP because I bought cards with real world money.

Besides, I still have a billion of those Duel School challenges that are usually stupidly easy to do at like 30 Gems a pop.
Most of them are "play this single card in your hand to win because you have no other options". :P
The Loaner Deck challenges are a bit harder because you have to actually play a whole duel, but those are fairly easy too.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Gotta complain about the Vagabond again after the deck they just gave him.
It was literally impossible for me to win.
They started him with 3 cards, one of which was Lava Golem. The other two were set Traps.
Not a problem there, but then that was his only monster, and from then on he had nothing but traps to raise his LP on every attack.
Not only that, he used Inferno Tempest twice, not that doing it a second time meant anything, so I had no monsters.
That was really cheap, because it means I couldn't even beat him on a deck out even though I had more cards to start.
So despite hitting him repeatedly with 3200 ATK Blue-Eyes directly, I couldn't get him below 3000 LP.
At one point he had over 15,000 LP, which is insane.
How is that even a fair deck?
The only way you can win would be to only damage him with effect damage, and that much effect damage requires a specially built
deck that's designed to do just effect damage.
The challenge wasn't "Win by Effect Damage", it's the he got to start with cards on his field.
You cannot possibly win when all options are taken away.
There aren't even that many Spell & Trap removal options in this version of the game.
There's no MST, no Heavy Storm.
Most the Spell & Trap Removal either requires the back row to be full (which, in a normal deck, never happens), a long chain,
which wouldn't help, or is specifically Spell or specifically Trap removal.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the Vagabond's actual Decks have almost nothing to do with the designed challenge, but are the main problem.
I already have a disadvantage built into the duel, I don't need him also using perfect decks, getting perfect draws every time, or using cheap strategies.
Yes, he does always get a perfect draw, he has never started with a bad hand for the whole time I've played.
His hands are set up so that his first turn specifically works every time perfectly, all the effects lining up.

*table flip*
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:49 am

Wow, I just ran into a card that is so old, it's not even officially printed in English.
Yamatano Dragon Scroll

Why this card is in the Duel Links card pool, I don't know, but it was in an NPC's Lvl. 20 "Thousand Energy" Deck.
Talk about obscure.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
xion52998
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm
Location: The point of no return.

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by xion52998 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:41 am

MysticJhn wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:49 am
Wow, I just ran into a card that is so old, it's not even officially printed in English.
Yamatano Dragon Scroll

Why this card is in the Duel Links card pool, I don't know, but it was in an NPC's Lvl. 20 "Thousand Energy" Deck.
Talk about obscure.
There are a lot of those cards. Doron, The Wicked Dragon with the Ersatz Head, Cyber Soldier, etc. They are all useless though.
Image
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm

xion52998 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:41 am
MysticJhn wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:49 am
Wow, I just ran into a card that is so old, it's not even officially printed in English.
Yamatano Dragon Scroll

Why this card is in the Duel Links card pool, I don't know, but it was in an NPC's Lvl. 20 "Thousand Energy" Deck.
Talk about obscure.
There are a lot of those cards. Doron, The Wicked Dragon with the Ersatz Head, Cyber Soldier, etc. They are all useless though.
I hadn't seen Cyber Soldier or Doron yet, but I did run into (and I think collected 1 or 2 copies of) Wicked Dragon with the Ersatz Head.
I thought Ersatz had been released in English, actually, as one of those early McDonald's promos or something, but I guess not.
Some of these appear in other video games too. Most these cards are just there to give beginners something to beat up on.

What's really funny about all these pre-LOB cards is that, because they are only available irl in Japanese, they get banned for the World Championships. :D

I remember the first time I saw a World Championships banlist as a member of this forum, I was totally lost as to why some of these weak, Normal Monster were banned. I didn't realize it's simply because we don't have access to them.

Frankly, though, I don't think any top duelists that go to Worlds would really care if these ancient cards were used. :mrgreen:
They all probably have better equivalents in cards with proper international releases.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Can anyone help me with one of the Pegasus missions?
I need to use a Counter Trap against him twice in one duel.
It seems simple enough, but I'm struggling to find a combination of Counter Traps
that he actually triggers that I own.
I can usually get one off, but even at Level 30 he doesn't play enough things to activate my Traps.
Part of the problem is that I kick his butt too much, so he's doing nothing but setting monsters.
The only one that I've found really works is Trap Jammer, because he plays at least two copies of Magical Arm Shield
and with my Kaiba Deck, I can afford to attack straight through his monsters all the time.
Playing him at Level 10 or 20 changes his deck, but those decks are so bad that I never have a need for a Trap Card of any kind.

I have honestly decked him out once waiting for a chance to use my Traps, and I could have decked him out
even more than that, but I couldn't be bothered.

Are there any Counter Traps in the game he's particularly susceptible to?
I am tired of beating his brains in, wasting gate keys and earning no mission rewards.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
xion52998
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm
Location: The point of no return.

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by xion52998 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Can anyone help me with one of the Pegasus missions?
I need to use a Counter Trap against him twice in one duel.
It seems simple enough, but I'm struggling to find a combination of Counter Traps
that he actually triggers that I own.
I can usually get one off, but even at Level 30 he doesn't play enough things to activate my Traps.
Part of the problem is that I kick his butt too much, so he's doing nothing but setting monsters.
The only one that I've found really works is Trap Jammer, because he plays at least two copies of Magical Arm Shield
and with my Kaiba Deck, I can afford to attack straight through his monsters all the time.
Playing him at Level 10 or 20 changes his deck, but those decks are so bad that I never have a need for a Trap Card of any kind.

I have honestly decked him out once waiting for a chance to use my Traps, and I could have decked him out
even more than that, but I couldn't be bothered.

Are there any Counter Traps in the game he's particularly susceptible to?
I am tired of beating his brains in, wasting gate keys and earning no mission rewards.
You can negate your own cards, as long as you have self-chain on in the settings. You should have no problems with that.
Image
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 am

xion52998 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 pm
You can negate your own cards, as long as you have self-chain on in the settings. You should have no problems with that.
I did that once, so it's probably on by default.
Actually, just checked, and I don't even see that option in the settings.
Are you thinking of an outdated option?

Are there any good Counter Traps I can buy?
I should go check the card catalog to see the ones I might not have I could find in boxes.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

User avatar
xion52998
Secret Rare Duelist
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm
Location: The point of no return.

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by xion52998 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:42 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 am
xion52998 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 pm
You can negate your own cards, as long as you have self-chain on in the settings. You should have no problems with that.
I did that once, so it's probably on by default.
Actually, just checked, and I don't even see that option in the settings.
Are you thinking of an outdated option?

Are there any good Counter Traps I can buy?
I should go check the card catalog to see the ones I might not have I could find in boxes.
That setting can only be set in a duel, it isn't available in duel world for whatever reason.

As for counter traps, Alexis has Spell Shield Type-8 as a lvl up reward, Armor Break can be obtained from Standard Duelists, and Riryoku Field is in the Card Trader.

If you want to buy packs for a counter trap, you can try Crimson Kingdom for Ultimate Providence. There might be a good Mini-box as well, but I would have to take a look.

Edit: upon looking, your best bets are Dawn of Destiny for Exterio's Fang, Crimson Kingdom for Ultimate Providence and Spell Vanishing, Odion's Goblin out of the Frying Pan reward, Riryoku Field at the card trader, and any Armor Breaks you have.
Image
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare
Posts: 19388
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Amity Park

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't have Alexis yet, as I've totally avoided the GX Duel World.
I hated GX, so the only time I spent in it was to clear a DM mission that required to get Jaden up to Level 3.
It would physically hurt me to play as Jaden long enough to get a new character. :D
I'll probably only bother with that once I got all the DM characters unlocked.
I think I can get Spell Shield Type-8 some other way.
I have seen it before, I forget where, although it might just be in the card catalog.

Armor Break is totally worthless against Pegasus, as he doesn't play any Equip Spells.
I am using Riryoku Field already.
The hard part with Pegaus is that a lot of what he plays doesn't trigger anything.
He only ever plays 3 Traps to counter, and doesn't target my monsters with his Spells as they are only Toon Table of Contents and Toon World.
I need more generic Counter Traps, and a lot of them in this game are for specific situations.

That's one thing I noticed about this game.
A lot of their card choices with regards to effects are less generic and more specific.
The ones that are generic are harder to get or have higher costs to play.
They put a lot more thought into what they pick for Duel Links' card pool as opposed to the regular game.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Post Reply