Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:38 pm

I didn't even pay attention to the points it was worth, I just clicked it because you come up gold as a friend.
I lost to it, sadly.
Is that card listed supposed to be a preview card?
Nowhere in the rules or details about the event does it tell you what that card means.
I figured after a couple duels of not getting a card when winning it was something like that, but had no idea.
Your preview card I think was Hunter Dragon? I think so, I forgot as soon as I dueled someone else.

I do like this event.
I hate the return of the Lottery again, but at least I don't need fragments of McGuffins to play.

For myself I put in my "F. This" deck that's basically a random Fusion deck (F. for Fusion).
Sadly it doesn't use skills, because it does rely a bit on Alexis' Master of Fusions skill that basically hands her a Polymerization.
It'll either do really badly against people who know what they are doing, or will be evil if it gets lucky.
I have no idea how the computer will choose what it Fusion Summons, and I wish I could watch how it happens.
The Fusions it runs is Flame Swordsman, Dark Blade the Dragon Knight, Elemental Hero Neos Knight, Elemental Hero Dark Neos, and B. Skull Dragon.
I know, I know, MysticJhn hates Elemental Heros, why are they in there?
Well the first version of that deck, which worked badly, had the Worm Fusion x 2 and Blue-Eyes Ultimate instead,
mostly because I lacked Fusion material for better Fusion monsters I owned, or I didn't own the actual Fusion Monster
for the material I had, so I focused on the Worms because I had a bunch and 2x their Fusion Monster.
However, when I shifted away from the Worms when I got material for new Fusion Monsters, it turned out
that I had a lot of Warriors in the Deck, and because I had Neos, Neos Knight was way too easy to make to avoid,
and it's high ATK was an efficient wall.
Dark Neos is in there just because I have Neos in there already, and half the time I substitute for him anyway, so if I draw him again,
I wanted to have a use for him and Dark Neos was the only other Neos Fusion I had.
I never play it, though, and I ought to replace it. I don't use Dark Panther in the deck, that's substituted for.
I don't know what else I have Fusion wise that would fit in the deck to replace it with.
I had to take out the Blue-Eyes because it's way too slow and bricky when not in its own deck.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Well, it definitely wasn't Hunter Dragon, it chooses a monster in the deck to be its "ace". Rex has Hydrogeddon, Gladiators have Bestiari, Mako has Citadel Whale, etc, but certain cards seem to be represented much more. For example, Red Eyes Slash Dragon decks always have either OG Red-Eyes or the BLS monster as their card. I'm trying to make mine Vorse Raider.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:30 pm

You can duel a Mako without Citadel Whale.
I actually haven't seen any of the 3 Makos I dueled have their card be Citadel Whale.
It depends on what the person built.
Most the time the "ace" it's showing I don't even see during the duel.

LewieGee

Post by LewieGee » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm

lol the event is so strange. The autoduel defence is interesting enough, but they're not giving us anywhere near enough points for it to be worthwhile. Shame, because the Phantom Beasts are a really fun set of old cards.
:oops:

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm

I like the event design, even if it still uses the same lame lottery system.
I just wish it wasn't ruled by OP meta decks.
Even in normal PVP I don't encounter such decks.
Plus I feel like nobody read the instructions, because so many people have their defensive decks set as Ancient Gears with Crowler.
The defensive decks do not use skills, so it doesn't matter what character you set your defense as, it works the same.
You can tell everyone just finished the Crowler event and earned all the cards form it,
because at least half of the decks are Crowler's Ancient Gears.
And then the whole meta thing is gross.
Everyone plays the same 3 or 4 Traps that suck all the fun out of the game.
Ancient Gears, Gladiator Beasts, and Red-Eyes Slash Dragon over and over and over again.
It's bad enough that I'm constantly losing (even my 5 different defense decks have 2 wins over 45 duels last I checked),
but it's boring on top of that.
I sit there hating it because I'm losing out of purely lacking the cards everyone is using, losing to the same decks over and over,
and I'm used to dueling the NPC decks that are more balanced and use a variety of cards.
None of my strategies work against these top tier PvP decks, as the NPCs don't have such ridiculous meta-game going.

I feel Duel Links in general is starting to have the same unfortunate power creep the regular game does,
where none of the old stuff works against new stuff, and totally lacks decent backrow removal.
I guess, in short, I'm starting to hate playing this version of Yu-Gi-Oh for the same reason I hate the real game.
The old stuff is being swallowed whole by the newest things, and anyone with a bigger pile of expensive cards wins.
This game felt much more balanced when I started.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Still.

No.

Obelisk?!

yusei-oh
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by yusei-oh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm

so, I haven't played this game in a LONG time...

What's the Meta like?
If you're Christian and not afraid to admit it, Put this in your sig! God FTW!!!

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 pm

yusei-oh wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm
so, I haven't played this game in a LONG time...

What's the Meta like?

But seriously, the newest box is super good, Aliens and Sea Stealth Attack are both very strong, while REZD is still hanging on somehow. Those are the decks to beat, but there are more strong decks. Archfiends are also good, but expensive, Aromages are basically card trader only, Hazy is cheap as well, but loses to Sea Stealth Attack while crushing Aliens. Gladiator Beasts exist, but are countered by Sea Stealth Attack as well, while Burn/Stall will always be a consideration. Magnets are also pretty solid.

That about covers it, if you do come back go for Aliens because they are so cheap relative to their power level.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 am

I'm a bit disappointed with the current Syrus event.
You can't earn Syrus as a playable character, all you can do is beat him to earn his cards.
I know there's the Gladiator event going on right now at the same time, but there's no point to the Syrus event.
It's not even a Duel Meter event like the Espa Roba or Chazz events.
As far as I know, he's not a gate character, so what are we really winning other than mediocre "roid" cards?
It kind of stinks, because I have always said GX would have been better if he was the main character.

Also, Syrus' voice actor did a terrible job with the voice in the game.
I have not seen a lot of GX, but with what I have seen, he does voice the character better in the show.
In the game, everything he says is too high pitched.
I know he gets rather high pitched when he's really excited, but it lacks any depth when it's ALWAYS that way.
It's so squealy and it sounds exactly the same if he's happy, worried, sad, surprised, whatever.
No range, and that's disappointing.
It's not Alexis bad, and it's not as bad as some secondary characters who act like their single trait, but for a main character it's pretty bad.
Although, to be fair, some of those secondary characters are doing what they can with the terrible writing.
Bandit Keith is a good example of just bad writing.

They should have just added Syrus to the gate and we could earn the exact same cards in gate duels
or when he randomly pops up as a Legendary Duelist.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:31 am

Has anyone else notice that The Vagabond now plays other real world duelists decks?
It shows the name of the deck, the user who's deck it is, and the pick-up card just like the Gladiator Island event did.
After the duel you are allowed to look at the full deck.
The Vagabond still has that handicap attached, but doesn't seem to use Vagabond original decks anymore.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 am

He has always used other players decks, but now it tells you who it is from.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 am

Has he?
I could have sworn he had a set list of decks he chose from random, because I feel like he was repeating himself previously.
If he was previously using player made decks, then there wasn't much of a diverse meta for a while.
A lot of decks felt the same.

I actually don't like him posting his player deck name and user name.
The Vagabond felt like a mystery before, like his own identity that was building his own deck.
He just feels like he's copying the Gladiator Island mechanic.
Now it feels like he's a netdecker. :D :P

In my head there was someone (or more like a team of people) at the Duel Links division of Konami
who's job it was to design him a new pro level deck with every new box.
Not like their full job, just something they brainstormed whenever new cards were available.
I liked the idea that there's a think tank that made decks for a single player.

Rotkiv77
Rare Duelist

Post by Rotkiv77 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 pm

So i just got the literal worse vagabond deck ever it was just traps and golden laybug

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:05 am

This game just gave me a sudden rage quit moment.
Now I know I'm not the best deckbuilder ever, but the drawing system on Duel Links is horrendous.
Surely if the majority of my deck is monsters, then my first hand shouldn't always be spells & traps.
Surely.
But no, it is, and the times I was drawing a monster, it was Tribute level monsters.
How am I supposed to win like that?
And since I was trying to play an Armed Dragon deck, it's even worse because I cannot even Normal Summon the LV7.
I only have 2 of the LV5s in the deck and only ONE of the LV7, and yet out of a 22-24 card deck, they keep coming first hand.
Then a bunch of spells, and by the time I drawn anything I can play, I'm dead.
It should be impossible to draw the one off SO MANY TIMES in a row first hand.
I had one hand that was literally both LV5s and the LV7 first hand, then the next two draws were Spells.
How am I supposed to play like this?
That is the most unrealistic drawing in any Yu-Gi-Oh game I've ever played.
Nobody has that bricky or unlucky hands all the time, every duel.
At some point over 3 or 4 straight duels I should be able to draw one of my Level 4 or lowers, no?
You'd think!

Table officially flipped.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Well, the next Mini-Box has been announced, and we were all wrong.
The main card is Power Tool Dragon, with much needed Morphtronic support and Scrap support.
It also includes Vylon and Wind-up cards.

If they are going this route, the Signer Dragons will all get their own box.
That might mean Black Rose Dragon for the mini-box that comes next, and the next main after that would probably be Black-Winged Dragon.
I don't think they'd do Ancient Fairy Dragon as the UR of a main box.
Jack's Red Dragon Archefiend is probably coming last of the Signer Dragons since he's not a playable character yet,
although I think you can get him at the gate.