Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by xion52998 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:33 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:35 pm
I don't have Alexis yet, as I've totally avoided the GX Duel World.
I hated GX, so the only time I spent in it was to clear a DM mission that required to get Jaden up to Level 3.
It would physically hurt me to play as Jaden long enough to get a new character. :D
I'll probably only bother with that once I got all the DM characters unlocked.
I think I can get Spell Shield Type-8 some other way.
I have seen it before, I forget where, although it might just be in the card catalog.

Armor Break is totally worthless against Pegasus, as he doesn't play any Equip Spells.
I am using Riryoku Field already.
The hard part with Pegaus is that a lot of what he plays doesn't trigger anything.
He only ever plays 3 Traps to counter, and doesn't target my monsters with his Spells as they are only Toon Table of Contents and Toon World.
I need more generic Counter Traps, and a lot of them in this game are for specific situations.

That's one thing I noticed about this game.
A lot of their card choices with regards to effects are less generic and more specific.
The ones that are generic are harder to get or have higher costs to play.
They put a lot more thought into what they pick for Duel Links' card pool as opposed to the regular game.
The intention is to counter your own cards vs lvl 10, almost like playing solitaire. It just takes the AI out of the picture.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 pm

I could, but there's no pride in beating them at Level 10.
I MUST DEFEAT KAKAROT!
Also, I did have to turn on chaining myself.
Why is that off by default? Chaining your own cards is a basic mechanic of the game.
That shouldn't even be an option, or at least should be on by default.
Maybe that's why I couldn't use Magician's Circle on my own Blue Dragon Summoner last night?
But, no, that wouldn't make sense since his effect doesn't activate until after he's already in the GY.

Anyway, enough of me VS. Pegasus and Counter Traps.
New topic!

Do you think we'll get a 5Ds world?
I know the GX world is relatively new, but the app itself isn't that old, only about a year old, and they already added a second world.
If we give them another year, would 5Ds possibly be in there?
I don't think it would be fair to use Synchros and Tuners in the DM or GX worlds, so maybe those cards don't show up
in the card catalog or are otherwise restricted if you're in those worlds.
It would prevent you from copying any deck that contains 5Ds cards to a deck slot of a character from DM or GX.
You're already restricted from using DM characters in the GX world, although Jaden mentioned meeting Yugi when I first accessed the GX world.
The current Espa Roba event doesn't work in the GX world as well.

It's not impossible, because the current card pool already has 5Ds era cards in it, and even VRAINS era cards.
Air Cracking Storm is in there, and that only came out in Code of the Duelist.
lol, Its named after Cracking Dragon and the equip is illustrated on the back of Cracking Dragon.
If they are already adding VRAINS cards, then having a 5Ds world isn't out of the question.

Question: If they did add a 5Ds world, do you think Synchros and Tuners would be fair to use in DM or GX?
Follow-up Question: Does this force you to use only 5Ds characters if you use those cards in PvP and tournaments since you have to be in the 5Ds world to build Synchro Decks?

Hmm... adding in a 5Ds world might be a bit trickier than I thought since only a 5Ds character could play them, so you instantly know in PvP if your opponent has Synchros or not depending on their character choice. On top of that, no DM or GX characters would have access to Synchro counters, giving any 5Ds players a slight advantage.

How does a DM or GX reply when they Synchro Summon? When they Fusion Summon a monster, they specifically say "Fusion Summon", but they have no special audio or trigger programmed in for them to react to Synchro Summons.
Would they just say "Special Summon"?

And then, if this game goes another year, we'd run into the same problems again with Xyz Monsters.
Even crazier is thinking about adding in Pendulums. Where do you even fit them on the field?
Link Summons would be easier to add in than Pendulums since the VRAINS anime already shows how to fit Link Monsters onto the smaller field with Speed Dueling.

Or maybe Duel Links would just have to be redone to accommodate everything.
A single Duel World where characters are all mixed.
Hmm... that would be a LONG way off, but they'd have to figure out how to fit in 5Ds first.

Also, this post was a lot more and longer than I originally thought I'd post. :D
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm

I think everyone will get access to it if just Synchros are released, but I would love to see something with the Speed World cards that is exclusive to the 5Ds characters.

But I do believe everything will be added eventually, but it may take a long time. They asked in a survey if we were interested in GX 5-6 months ago, and we recently got it.

But they will definitely specify the type of summon, Mai has voice lines for Pendulum Summoning while Arkana has voice lines for Link Summoning.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Arkana is a character?
I haven't even seen him on websites.
How do they have voice lines for Pendulum and Link Summons? They didn't even encounter them in the anime.

If you read the news for today, they are adding a lot of stuff in December.
Yami Marik and I think events for a couple other characters.
They were pretty vague, but they also mentioned kinds of cards we haven't seen yet.
Probably not Synchros, but maybe Wyrms? Then again, Wyrms heavily use Synchros.
December seems like it will be rather busy with updates and events.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:05 pm
Arkana is a character?
I haven't even seen him on websites.
How do they have voice lines for Pendulum and Link Summons? They didn't even encounter them in the anime.

If you read the news for today, they are adding a lot of stuff in December.
Yami Marik and I think events for a couple other characters.
They were pretty vague, but they also mentioned kinds of cards we haven't seen yet.
Probably not Synchros, but maybe Wyrms? Then again, Wyrms heavily use Synchros.
December seems like it will be rather busy with updates and events.
Arkana has shown up a grand total of twice, once in a roaming event and once in Mark's event.

The voice lines have been found in the data files, I guess the VAs recorded them in advance.

The update schedule seems to be Marik w/ Ra unlockable, Bonz unlockable in the Duelathon, then Battle City with Arkana unlockable, then Zane roaming.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Cyber Dragon, if there is Zane, will make a great addition.
It would actually force me to play some GX world just to get Zane and Cyber Dragon.

You know, I don't play Machines typically, but I actually do like Cyber Dragon as a theme.
It has a cool look to it, and makes for a great anime monster.
It's something to get behind.
A lot of anime characters, especially newer ones, have themes, but don't have that truly signature monster.
If they do, it lacks the iconic nature of Dark Magician and Blue-Eyes.
I would personally put Cyber Dragon up there as an iconic monster.

I still think the news was also teasing something more, though, something new card wise.
Again, we haven't any Wyrm types yet, and that's not due to them being too new.
If they can have Code of the Duelist cards, they can have Wyrms.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 pm

The next mini Box has been announced, and it's loaded with Six Sams.
The main cover card is the Great Shogun Shien.
It has Cyber Harpie Lady, which will be great for advancing my Mai deck.
Also I noticed Fire Fists.

On another note, when the game started up for me today saying "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links!" as it always does,
I'm pretty sure the voice is Yami Bakura. I didn't even know there was a Yami Bakura in the game.
Are there a lot of Legendary Duelists they save for events, but you cannot unlock?

Any time I look up character info online, it always seems out of date.
Everyone still lists Pegasus and the Paradox Brothers as characters you earn from special events.
I guess it's because I started late, but I just had the regular character unlock missions for them.

Btw, I have actually unlocked Pegasus now as a playable character, so I don't need to worry about using Counter Traps so much anymore. :D

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:15 pm

The next box is pretty average, nothing overly strong but a lot of cool cards.

Yami Bakura is in the game; in fact, when I dueled you I used Bakura. He's coming to the gate in December, so the unobtainable characters are Yugi Muto, Yami Marik(but he is coming back early December), and Vellian Crowler of GX.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Yugi Muto must be obtainable somehow, I've dueled people using him in PvP before.
Maybe in a previous event?
Espa Roba is unobtainable too, but he's a brand new event, so that's no surprise.

How did you earn Bakura?
Any website that talks about Duel Links is already somehow massively out of date despite the game still being young.
I didn't see mention of him anywhere.

Right now I'm struggling to get Quick Victories against the Paradox Brothers for their one character mission.
It has to be Level 20, which I can beat their face in at, but not in 2 turns.
They keep going first and setting a monster, which kills me doing any damage.
I think I only have 1 monster that does piercing damage (which is annoyingly not a searchable effect) and it's a Gemini,
so it's not doing that first turn.
I have done Quick Victories before, but not against them at Level 20, and it usually was a lucky BEUD turn 2 (my turn 2) that attacked directly.
I haven't done anything with Pegasus yet, so I have no Toon Monsters, and only Sonic Shooter to attack directly with an effect.
It's annoying to have to jump through hoops to earn a character(s) I can pummel any time I want and probably won't use.

Seriously, though, the lack of a piercing effect filter when I can filter any other kind of effect bugs me.
That effect is rather common in the game, you'd think it would be an obvious filter option.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah, both Yugi Muto and Bakura were in previous events.

Quick victories are very difficult, you can try the combo of Karate Man+Secret Pass to the Treasures+ the Tryce equip spell or Naturias with the Beatdowm skill.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm

The trick to these combos, though, is owning the cards.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:05 pm

So, the D.D. Tower Water event, how is everyone enjoying it, or not enjoying it?
What floor are you on?

So far I'm on the 12th floor and have completed every challenge.
The first set of floors before the first boss were a walk in the park, challenges included.
It was like going back to elementary school as an adult.
The next set of duels are not much harder, although the challenges were a slight annoyance.
I hated having to play a specific monster card I just earned on lower floors, which added nothing to my deck.
The worst one so far was having to win by a deck out, which became impossible when they looped Gishki Natasha or Natalia or whatever it is,
sending their GY Gishki monster back to the top of the deck over and over.
I eventually beat it by adding in the one continuous trap I had to stop that.
The arena is cool looking, worth not seeing the mat you have customized while in the tower.
It would be neat if the game had more 3D rendered environments to duel in like that.
The rewards for the D.D. points are kind of meh, especially when half of them are just potions that only work in the event,
but one thing I like is that climbing the floors really pours on the gems.
You earn gems so fast.
Overall, it's a fun event.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:04 pm

It is much better than the first event. I autodueled though the entire thing, got enough points to go through the box 3 times, and am practically done with it.

The D.D. Invader is pretty funny and a welcome way to get points, and the third floor decks aren't as suffocatingly strong as the last event's. They are also difficult enough to do challenges on, but not too powerful where you have to get lucky.

The arena is also pretty neat, and Turu-Purin is fantastic. The reward cards are kinda not that good, but other than that the event is pretty good I feel.

Outside of that, making progress in getting skills, just 6 left over 3 characters. Thank god, skills are awful to go for and being close gives a light at the end of the tunnel.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:03 pm

This wasn't the first D.D. Tower event, right?
Having only started recently, I have no idea of the first D.D. Tower event.
What was it like that you could auto-duel your way through it?

One negative I can say about this event is that I think the game runs slower when loading anything,
especially when you switch between the main town and any of the secondary areas like the store or the event or whatever.
It's enough lag to be noticeable, something I didn't encounter during the KC Cup.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 pm

The first tower's decks were very strong, the Ninja one for example had 3 Windstorm, 3 Sphere Kuriboh, 3 Transformation, while the Red Lotus one had 3 Soul Exchange 3 Tribute to the Doomed. They were all very strong.

This time around the decks are a lot weaker, still pretty good but not insanely strong.