Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Well, I feel better now.
I have cleared all my character missions for the DM world as far as I know.
I know there's characters I don't have, like normal Yugi and Yami Bakura, but those were events I joined too late for.
At least there should be a chance for me to earn Bakura coming soon.

After earning the Paradox Brothers, I found out Gate Guardian is even worse in Duel Links than it is in the real game.
So because they didn't put it's three pieces into the game, you can only Summon Gate Guardian with their skill.
Their skill is a ripoff, though.
While you start with the three of them on the field and Gate Guardian in your hand, they cannot attack, their effects are negated, and you only get 500 LP.
What's weird, though, is that the game has Tribute Doll, which theoretically makes Summoning the 3 pieces possible through normal means.
Sure, you need to earn Tribute Doll, but is that any more obnoxious than using their Skill?
Additional bonus to actually getting to use Sanga, Suijin, and Kazejin as monsters.

Needless to say, I left it out of the deck I gave them.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Anyone else notice that the DD Tower changed designed between the second set of floors and the top set of floors?
I found that interesting.
First two sets of floors was in a room with a blue carpet down the middle and the window was a stained glass of Blue-Eyes.
Final set of floors has a patterned floor, no carpet, and clear windows.

I said it before, but I really dig the changed dueling environment for the tower.
I wish there was more of that in the game.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Yeah, the scenery changed. Another small detail is that from floors 21-29, the duel took place in the center of the floor, but at the top, floor 30, the duels took place closer to the altar.

Also the skill Ojama Overflow completely broke the challenges, made everything almost laughably easy.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 pm

I don't even know that Skill or even know of it, so nothing was broken for me.

Marik is back now, which is a shame, because I never finished DD Tower, was expecting it to go longer.
Forgot to check the date of the event's end. >_>

Anyway, I've already found Marik at Level 20, and apparently I'm not getting further until tomorrow when he'll return.
Can only collect map pieces and duel him at the gate at Level 10 until then.
Arkana is worth more at the gate.

I kicked Marik's arse, so much so that I never even saw him Summon Ra, which is a bit of a shame.
I assume it won't be so easy once he levels up.
Those map pieces are VERY easy to collect.
They give you so many bonus ones from winning duels that it takes no time at all.
It's almost disappointingly fast.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 pm

If you beat him at level 10 at the gate, a higher level will be unlocked, and so on up to level 40.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I had already beat him Level 20 as a Rare Hunter, but he's still 10 at the gate.
When I go to the tower, it shows me there's still more locked Rare Hunters, so I figured his higher levels are the ones left.
There's at least 2 more I can see.
I know he goes up to Level 50 according to the event announcement.
Collecting map pieces was only supposed to get me to him, although I thought there'd be more steps before he appeared.
He's literally the third person you have to duel against.
They should have made him worth more event points than Arkana.
Because Arkana is worth 3x, and Marik is only worth 1x, I skipped him.
Does that mean the Rare Hunter I can duel at the gate also levels up?

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:29 pm

No, only Marik at the gate will level up. Him appearing in duel world is a one-time event, and is otherwise unrelated to the rest of the event. Playing him at the gate is the main attraction.

Arkana and the Rare Hunter will not level up.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Yeah, discovered that myself now, but it's disappointing that the other two cannot level up.
Marik is way too easy, even at Level 40.
I was kicking his butt as Mai using the Harpie deck I built for her, and I could still use to upgrade it.
He wouldn't level up past 40, though.

There is still more to the event.
When you go to the tower, it says the event will update on the 11th, and there are still things locked.
I know you're supposed to be able to duel him at Level 50, so there's got to be more.
There needs to be more to keep this event from being terrible.
Marik is literally so bad that I haven't seen him Summon Ra once yet.
I have struggled more against the regular NPC duelists than against Marik.
I honestly have trouble dueling against Mai at Level 30 at the normal gate when she's playing her Amazoness deck,
and yet Marik Level 40 is a breeze.
He had better be a worthy challenge come the 11th, otherwise I'd rather just play normally.
The only decent thing so far is that he reacts differently to Mai than he did when I was using Kaiba,
and I'll assume he has different scenes when dueling against everyone.

Anyway, if this event doesn't improve, give me back the DD Tower.
There's some very specific challenges I'd need to build a deck around to clear, and I never reached the 30th floor boss.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 am

Well just found out earlier I can earn Yami Marik by dueling him at Level 40 over and over, so now I have him.
Makes the event slightly better, but now I'm curious what happens on December 11th.
The event lasts until the 19, so what are they doing then?

Also, as I was trying him out and building a deck for him, I realized something.
There are NOT a lot of Fiends, especially not accessible in packs, to build a deck with.
Seriously, I went to build Marik a Fiend deck, only to find myself overly limited in choices.
Most of the good ones were prizes from events long since dead, or only available from Ranked duels.
I was stuck with a lot of Normal Monsters, and had to build around Garlandolf, King of Destruction, which wasn't very good.
Even the Deck Marik starts with, as is the case for every Legendary Duelist, has a bunch of nothing cards.
Fiends could use a real boost, because right now I'm wasting gems trying to get myself Summoned Skull.
I am THAT desperate for decent Fiend cards.

What's also crazy is the non-existence of The Winged Dragon of Ra.
Despite the event's name, he hasn't Summoned it on me, it's not available as a prize card for beating him,
and it doesn't appear as his boss monster in his starter deck.
Has anyone seen Ra yet? Where's the Egyptian God? Is it being saved for his Level 50 version?

On the topic of boss monsters, I complained the other day that the only way to use the Paradox Brother's boos, Gate Guardian, you
were forced to use their skill to start with it in hand and Summonable at a great cost that's not worth it because
I was lead to believe the 3 pieces of it did not officially exist as a card.
Their text when you first unlock them as a playable character(s) more or less told you they were mad because Kaiba didn't supply
the 3 pieces of it and they couldn't Summon it.
Para complains about the lack of Kazejin, Suijin, and Sanga, only for Dox to inform him they could play it with their Skill.

While looking for Fiends to play in all the packs, I actually ran into those three monsters on a card list!
What the heck?
So if I can get them normally, why would I bother with their skill?
Yes, I know, why bother with Gate Guardian at all? I actually took it out of their deck to be honest, but I'd like to give it to them eventually.
Build them an "authentic" deck.
I am just annoyed that their intro text sort of lies to you.
Was it written before those cards were officially placed into the game?

Also, talking about Skills, I won one with Mai yesterday which is so far my favorite Skill on any character yet.
Restart. It allows you to exchange your initial hand for a whole new initial hand.
Could be better or worse, but clearly you'll only use it when your hand is unusable (which does happen to me).
I won this skill as a prize during a normal duel, and it's fantastic.
Why is this skill not part of the proper Yu-Gi-Oh rules for real dueling?
It would make the real game so much better!
It wouldn't be unprecedented, as I know Hearthstone has a similar exchange of opening hand cards for a new draw,
and I believe Magic has some kind of mulligan system like that too (I have never played, so I might be mistaken).
I need this rule in my regular game.
It's not like it would give anyone any more advantage than they already have since both players
would be able to do it before the duel starts, and if the game is already unbalanced anyway.
If Konami is worried about someone using that to start with Exodia i their hand... well its odds are super impossible,
and if it was a problem, just ban Exodia the Forbidden one, solve that forever.
1 card banned to take 4 others off the list. :P

Anyway, yeah, give me a restart in the real game, not just Duel Links.
Then again, with slight modification, Duel Links rules and card pool might just be better than the normal rules.
Konami has managed to balance Duel Links better than they have the real game.
There's still some cards that have an advantage over others, but it's more of a fair game if you're not playing top decks.
Because of the smaller deck size, the computer can play more of a variety of things that wouldn't work in a 40 card deck.
I'm looking at you, Circus Trick. You're definitely the trolliest deck I have ever seen in any form of Yu-Gi-Oh.
I hate you...

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 am

I've stopped playing now that I finished Glad beasts and the new set was a dud.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Maybe it's some comic book or manga thing I'm unaware of,
but why is it when you Summon your character's key/favorite monster and the animation plays,
the screen of them Summoning that card has the illustrated sound effect "GGGGGGGG"?

Nothing is making that sound, what is that supposed to indicate?

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Ra will be available after the 15th as a drop from 30/40 Marik - not sure why they delayed it, hopefully it wont be too hard to get. Still need the third disciple first.

Anyone else having too much fun in ranked with double lava golem weevil?

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm

I only saw a single weevil in legend, thank goodness for that, they are such a pain to deal with.

I also got the last exclusive skill I needed, now the only things left are getting Restart on a GX character and extracting a Dark Eradicator Warlock from Arkana and I'm done with the event.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 am

Personally I haven't been in PvP much at all, just a few times to get rewards.
I actually have a winning record in total I think in PvP, but I'm only Bronze 5 since the reset a little while back,
and have only played a few casual duels.
I find PvP to be too laggy and too often there's a disconnect to be fun.
Usually a disconnect on the opponent's side, although twice from my side somehow.
I'll be sitting there way too long just waiting for someone to draw or choose to respond.
I legit won once because someone took so long to take a turn that their turn timer ran out.
Single player duels take like 30 seconds to like 2 minutes max.
PvP drags on forever, even in quick victories.
I just can't be bothered, especially when I'm more interested in actually collecting gold and gems and keys to build my decks or duel NPCs.

So, frankly, I wouldn't know anything about "double lava golem weevil", as anyone at the level I'm dueling are either beginners with bad cards or no deck building skills, or are slightly better than me, but probably not competitive level.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm curious what people think of Ra's Disciple WITHOUT Ra. Ra will never be competitive, not even with Sphere Mode, in duel links - Maybe with Phoenix too but I doubt we're getting that soon or at all.

Disciple swarms the field and with Aqua Chorus could be small beater, it give tribute fooder for Enemy Controller. Anti Magic Arrows for a clear couple of attacks. Could be cool. Thoughts?