Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Without Ra, there's Three of a Kind in the game.
An easy combo to clear half your enemy's field, if not all of it.
Probably the easiest way to use Three of a Kind in Duel Links.
That would be a possible 3300 direct damage, enough to win with any effect damage you can do of 700+.
If you got a Field or Continuous Spell that boosts ATK for LIGHT or Fairies, that's a win.
Heck, even a basic Banner of Courage, pretty common in Duel Links, gets you to 3900 damage.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Three of a Kind would be insane! Dang now I have to invest in that pack.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Ra's disciple + the tie that binds is 4200 damage, there might be something there. I tried something similar, but it didn't work that well. Maybe someone else can come up with something.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Well, after complaining that the 40 and lower level Marik is way too easy, I'm now struggling against Level 50 Marik
thanks to him starting with Sphere Mode on his field.
Both of my two best decks, Kaiba with dragons and Mai with Harpies, got wrecked.
Laughably, the furthest I made it into the duel was using Mokuba and the deck I gave him that is all Traps that I only made
to pass the Odion character mission that required you top lay 10 Traps in a single duel.
lol, I Massivemorph'd The Winged Dragon of Ra, giving it 8000 ATK, but it couldn't attack directly.
I still lost to his weaker monsters, though, because if I put a monster on the field, Ra crushed it, letting the lower levels attack directly.
The only thing I have that can possibly get over 4000 ATK is Blue-Eyes Ultimate, which is 4200 ATK using Kaiba's Peak Performance skill.
With my Mai deck, there's the possibility of sending it back to the hand with Quill Pen of Guildos, making it hard for him to re-Summon it,
but I can't last long enough against him to ever use it.

Does anyone have a suggestion to beat Level 50 Marik?

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Enemy controller is fantastic vs him, you steal his 4k ra then destroy his other monsters with it, allowing you to otk him.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm

I did EC him once, but only had the ability to switch him to DEF, otherwise his next turn he would have stomped me anyway with an open field.
What I really want to do is use the card "Cloning" on Ra, suicide my Clone Token into Ra, destroying them both, and then I can just play normally,
but I haven't been able to earn it yet from Pegasus. Just haven't had the luck.

Speaking of winning cards, I really want Arkana's red Dark Magician to give to Yami Yugi to be funny.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:07 pm

I realized something about the Rare Hunter today that really annoyed me.
He runs MULTPLE copies of Exodia in his deck, which really threw me off after playing with Exodia set to Limited in the real game... pretty much forever.
I was using Yami Yugi, and the deck I gave his isn't that good.
Oddly enough, thanks to him running D.D. Warrior and ramming it into Ra, I lasted the longest against Marik so far as compared to my better decks.
Anyway, since I already had Yugi loaded, and the Rare Hunter is only Level 10, I figured it was harmless to duel against him without switching characters and decks.
Well my first two turns I only had Spell Cards in hand, so I basically started the duel at a disadvantage.
By the third turn I had managed to Summon a monster, but since the Rare Hunter had 2 turns to prepare, I couldn't destroy monsters fast enough to do actual damage since they kept setting cards.
Fast forward a bit, I summoned that one DARK Spellcaster Monarch where the effect banishes 2 cards from their Graveyard, then sends another 2 from the top of heir deck to the Graveyard, and in doing so, I sent the head of Exodia to the grave.
Game over I figured, just a matter of battling them enough to take down all their continuously set monsters so I can actually damage their LP.
Turn after turn, boring duel of mostly smashing Set monsters.
Then, all of a sudden, they won!
They formed Exodia in hand and I had an Exodia loss!
What the heck happened? I know for sure the head was in the grave, and I had definitely ran over a few limbs they had used to protect their LP.
There is no way they can use Exodia on me, they can't have all 5 cards!

And then it occurred to me that, in Duel Links, Exodia is NOT a Limited card.
It's not in the game officially, so it's never been there to be Limited. As a player, you cannot have Exodia.
Literally the only character in the whole game that has access to Exodia is the Rare Hunter, and he runs it in multiples.
All the times I easily walked through the Rare Hunter using better decks, he had never survived long enough for me to see multiple of the same pieces.
How cheap is that?
In a 20 card deck, they run at least two (if not more) copies of Exodia.
Literally half their deck is Exodia pieces.

Lesson learned.
Rare Hunter can actually win if you give him enough turns and you cannot just casually fool around like I thought.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Well, after defeating Melvin and the event ending, immediately we have Bonz to play with.
First off, Yami Marik's return I still feel was kind of boring and dragged out.
I did defeat his Winged Dragon of Ra deck and him at Level 50.
Earned the Winged Dragon of Ra for myself.
I earned enough EX jewels to buy myself Twin-Barrel Dragon.
Annoyingly, no matter how many times I dueled and crushed Arkana, they wouldn't
reward me his red Dark Magician, which is the one prize card I really wanted.
Luckily I found out I can eventually earn it in Ranked Duels, of which I made it to Silver 1.
Now to just get myself one of those card tokens from the cumulative wins thing.

The Bonz event I immediately like more than the Melvin one.
It's simpler and easier than collecting a million stupid map pieces just to gate duel a million times,
and there's less epicness and drama to dueling Bonz, but it's amusing.
First of all, for the first time since I started, the current event doesn't change the sky and world coloring.
One thing I really hated about Melvin was that the whole world had this ugly purple tinge lazily filtered over everything.
Just made things look dull, not menacing.
Secondly, the Bonz storyline is funny and amusing.
He's more amusing in Duel Links than he was on the actual show.
He's not some jerk puppet of Bandit Keith, he seems actually friendly and just having fun.
The cut scenes are light and silly, and I appreciate that.
It's Yu-Gi-Oh after all, and it doesn't need to always be serious.
Finally, while I don't remember how Bonz's voice was in the anime, at least here it's one of the few voices that aren't way over the top.
Most of the characters are way over acted, or just are characters that are written as caricatures.
Bonz, while he could be both, isn't, and that's pleasant to hear.
Melvin WAS both, the one NPC Andrew has that horrible trope of "calculating" everything and too smart to lose, and Bandit Keith is written really stupidly.
There's more to complain about with the voice acting and character writing, but you know what I mean.
Bonz doesn't rely too much on his "spooky" persona during the duel, not spouting bad puns every time he opens his mouth.
He's practically a normal guy despite the looks and how the cut scenes treat him.

It's refreshing.
What is everyone else's opinion on the just ended Melvin event and the current Bonz event?

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Marik's event was a tad too long, I got everything I wanted in a week so I just waited for the event to end.

Bonz's event is the second time they've combined the roaming duelists and the Duelathon, and it is just as good as it was the last time. The new Ghostricks aren't great, they really need at least one of their field spells to be good but if they get that, and maybe Go-Round, they'll be set, especially since they got Scare.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:35 pm

I've got 3 Ghostricks so far I think, but I paid so little attention when they were a thing in the real game, I have no idea how they should play or which ones are good.
Still miffed I missed out on Arkana's Dark Magician, and I don't tend to play PvP enough to earn a SR card.
Then again, I should probably consider playing more.
The people in the Silver ranks don't tend to make me wait QUITE as much.

Bonz actually beat me once recently despite me crushing his face in every other time.
He excavated a dozen cards on me, then brought out Chaos Necromancer on me with a huge ATK and Zombie World on the field, handcuffing me.
I did take it down eventually, but the damage had been done.
It didn't help that I tried to attack directly with Sonic Shooter, only to accidentally attack his much bigger monster instead from a mis-swipe. :p

LewieGee

Post by LewieGee » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:32 pm

i know this is super super late Mystic but re: an earlier comment (like 3 weeks ago): you can actually get Sanga, Suijin, Kazejin individually - Mystic Depths, R.
:oops:

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:03 pm

LewieGee wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:32 pm
i know this is super super late Mystic but re: an earlier comment (like 3 weeks ago): you can actually get Sanga, Suijin, Kazejin individually - Mystic Depths, R.
Oh, I know by now.
I ran into them last week I think it was browsing through the random boxes.
However, I'm not currently making a build for them, so... *shrugs*

In the meanwhile, I now have Yami Bakura to play with.

Anyone want to discuss the game news?
Early January - Zane Truesdale (and hopefully this means Cyber Dragon will arrive as well).

1-Year Anniversary Celebration for the Global Launch
"You will be getting an incredible card as well!"
Maybe that could be Cyber Dragon?

Mid January
Another Duel-a-thon event.

Yugi Muto will be at the gate to earn. This I want.

Late January
Tag Duel Tournament!
I want to see how that'll work, although it seems Yugi, Joey, or Kaiba will be your NPC Partner.

Early February
One of the characters will be stronger apparently.
The quote is "No more Ojamas!", so I'm assuming Chazz Princeton.

Yet another KC Cup.

Thoughts on all the news?

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 am

Ra's disciple with three of a kind is not nearly as consistent as I want it to be.

Very excited to see how cyber dragon, seems like a safe bet that it's coming, will change the game.

Extremely excited that obelisk the tormentor was introduced in the new battle city event, not sure yet how or if it's obtainable.

Also a thought for the future - wouldn't any level 7 XYZ deck be awesome (in theory but probably not in practice) with the paradox brother's elements unite skill.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:42 pm

They would have to re-balance that skill for sure if they ever introduced Xyz Monsters (not too likely currently).
They'd probably cut you off from using the copies of them Summoned with that skill from being used as material monsters.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 am

Im not sure that it would need a nerf since it limits your starting hand to just GG,
Also, unrelated, but an elements unite deck with only level 3 and 4 beaters (like 1700 atk and up who can be normal summoned) gives a 90% win rate against the cpu's with a comeback and quick victory bonus.