Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
Rotkiv77
Rare Duelist

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by Rotkiv77 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Volcanics and gem knights in the next box wooooo

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 pm

I boo'd when I saw Volcanics.
There are already 2 major FIRE archetypes in play already.
We don't need a third.
They are also going big on Lightsworns and Dark World.
Also things I'm not interested in.
Dark World in particular is the kind of Yu-Gi-Oh I hate.
A lot of OP beatstick monsters that are too easily Special Summoned.
I don't think I'm going to spend a single gem on this box.
I don't even see any of the single, non-archetype cards that I really want.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah the internet kinda hates this box.

At this point they're just biding time before releasing syncros. To that extent, are there any archetypes or notable cards you think Duel Links missed along the way, from the original series and gx era anyway. Pretty sure we're getting cyber dragons with zane this month so after that I'm not sure whats left.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:10 pm

They really aren't giving the archetypes the support they need. Lightsworn has none of the cards that make it good, Dark World is going to be horribly inconsistent since they need Ceruli to do anything, Volcanics don't have Scattershot and drawing multiple Shell is going to happen often, while Gem-Knights don't get Gem-Knight Fusion or Gem-Armadillo. Jurracs got Guiaba and Herra, so they are going to be pretty OK actually.

Meanwhile, burn is going to be as disgusting as ever, with no real counter in sight.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm sure they'll release necessary support for Primal's archetypes through the card trader in a month or so - seems to be the theme.

Bamboo Sword is hilarious though - look it up if you haven't yet. I lost to this FTK earlier today haha.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm

So now we have Zane, although we are missing one integral part of Zane. Cyber Dragon.
We also cannot earn Zane.
Oh, ZANE can play Cyber Dragon, but as a player we cannot use Cyber Dragon.
Zane will play Cyber Dragon first turn every time with it's Special Summon effect.
Cyber Dragon isn't in the list of cards you can win.
Oh, we have Zwei and Proto-Cyber Dragon, things that are called Cyber Dragon, but not the actual monster itself.
Yet, oddly, they thought we needed or wanted Cyber Barrier Dragon, the one Cyber Dragon card nobody plays.
I would have rather had Cyber Laser Dragon. >_>
Also, we can only get Chimeratech Overdragon, not Cyber End Dragon or even Cyber Twin Dragon.

Rather disappointing.
Were they afraid the actual Cyber Dragon would be too powerful in the card pool this game uses?
Or are they saving it for putting Zane at the gate later down the road?
Zane's starter deck would HAVE to use Cyber Dragon.
If you earned Zane as a character and his deck didn't have actual Cyber Dragon in it, I would be rather miffed.

Luckily, I was really close to earning Aster Phoenix, so I didn't have to play as Jaden for long.
So my plan is to earn all the special Zane cards, then go back to Duel World (DM) and not have to touch GX World again (unless they release actual Cyber Dragon).
I think I might give the Cyber Dragon wannabes to Bandit Keith so I can use him to level him up.
I don't really have any decent Machines yet.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Correction to my previous post.
First, Zane (Level 40) does use Cyber Dragon Drei and Cyber Twin Dragon.
Also, considering the name of his Level 40 deck (Cyber Art: Cyber End), he most likely has Cyber End Dragon.
That's at least 3, maybe 4 cards Zane uses that are unavailable to the player.
I didn't notice those two cards in my last post because he was only a Level 30 when I found him at that point.
Cyber Dragon Dwei isn't one of his possible prize cards, only Zwei.

Another thing I found out is that Cyber Laser Dragon is actually a card.
The first time I searched the list of cards, I searched for "Cyber Dragon", which does not appear in Cyber Laser Dragon's card text anywhere.
Somehow I missed that card when checking Zane's duel rewards.

All the same, with there being 3 or 4 cards Zane has that you can't have, perhaps they are saving them for the next box.
Cyber Dragon themed mini-box?
If Zane eventually becomes an unlockable character, and Cyber Dragon is in his starter deck, having Drei, Twin, and End Dragon
for sale would make sense. The only real machine theme currently are XYZ Dragon Cannon and Spaceships (Gradius and such).

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Make that 5 or 6 cards Zane has we cannot gather, as he also uses Evolution Burst and Cyber Network,
neither of which are available as prize cards.
Also found out he has at least 2, if not 3 copies of the original Cyber Dragon in his deck.
He's had 2 on the field at once against me at the same time multiple times now, but not yet a third.

So that's Cyber Dragon, Cyber Dragon Drei, Cyber Twin Dragon, Evolution Burst, and Cyber Network that Zane uses we cannot.
That's the most cards in my short time of playing I've ever seen an AI use in their deck that's unavailable to the player.
That's not even counting the possible Cyber End Dragon I suspect is there but haven't personally seen yet.
However, I know his 3 card extra deck contains Chimeratech Overdragon and Cyber Twin Dragon.
It would make sense Cyber End Dragon is the third.

EDIT: The Rare Hunter did use Exodia, which is also 5 cards we can't have, but... they can't really compare, and Zane still might have a 6th.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 am

He does have Cyber End Dragon in his extra deck. But in terms of cards we can't use, he also has Power Bond, Machina Armored Unit, The Light - Hex Sealed Fusion, and Lightray Daedalus.

As for Machine archetypes, we've had an Ancient Gear event with Crowler.

And Exodia is available to players, through the skill Grandpa's Cards on Yugi Muto.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am

I'd be shocked if we didn't get Zane as an unlock soon. Maybe not now, but in a few months with a new event. Most other introductions went like that, Yugi Moto, Marik, etc. I'm guessing his deck UR will be Cyber End and 3 cyber dragons and power bond will be level up rewards for him.

I'm more interested in getting crowler as an unlock first, I totally missed that event and AG are still meta relevant.

By the way, I'm anticipating Slifer in the next 24 hours for the anniversary and a reprint box with thestalos, reddits got a lot of info on that. Could be cool.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Wow, I didn't even know those you mentioned were unavailable to players, especially Lightray Dedalus, as I know there's Lightray Grepher we can have.
Power Bond I thought was one of his prize cards, but I guess I was mistaken.
Machina Armored Unit I also thought was playable, as we have 4 Machina monsters.
The Light - Hex Sealed Fusion is odd that we can't get since we already have The Dark and The Earth.
I found one more myself. His Level 30 deck at least was running Trap called "Power Wall" I hadn't even heard of irl.

I never had a chance to get Yugi Muto, so I don't know his skills.
Luckily he will be at the gate soon.
How does Exodia work as a skill?

All the same, that's a crazy amount of cards they gave Zane that are unavailable to the player.
That's 11 cards, and with him running 3 copies of Cyber Dragon in his Level 40 deck, that's over half his deck we cant have.
They had better make him available at the gate AND release a Cyber Dragon themed box.

Now that I think about it, why does he even have Lightray Daedalus?
I know all the Cyber Dragon (main deck anyway) cards are LIGHT, but it's a Sea Serpent.
The Lightray archetype came out WAY after GX, and while I know they have updated some character decks with modern cards,
it just doesn't seem like a card he would use.
He only ever played Machines, or Dragons when he switched to Cyberdarks.
Also, now that I mention it, it's kind of funny.
They gave him his "evil" persona, dressing him in dark clothes and whatnot, but he's still playing his Cyber Dragon deck.
Maybe that's them admitting that Cyber Dragon is better than Cyberdark. :D
Still, it would be neat if he used Cyberdarks at other levels.
Maybe if they add him to the gate, he'll use Cyberdarks at Level 20 or 30.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 pm
I never had a chance to get Yugi Muto, so I don't know his skills.
Luckily he will be at the gate soon.
How does Exodia work as a skill?
It just adds the 5 pieces to your deck before the duel starts.

And the reason for Daedalus is to give his deck hard removal, so players can't cheese him with Unhappy Girl/Cloudian + Spirit Barrier without other cards like Floodgate, Divine Wrath, removal for the field spell, etc. It just makes getting a high DA harder.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Quick subject change, but, wow, we sure got a lot of things for the Duel Links Anniversary today.
Another 1.5 x Exp Campaign
Another Duel-A-Thon coming on the 16th
Strings appears in Duel World (DM), and beating him once gives you Slifer.
He's really easy to beat, he only duels at Level 20.
Selection Box Vol. 01 (which I guess means there'll be more in the future).
It contains a bunch of nice cards from other boxes and some new ones.
It's 200 gems per pack (limit 15 packs), but you also get 10 cards per pack.
The normal boxes are on sale, giving you bonus gems when you buy them with actual cash.
Structure Decks are discounted.
Boosted Duel Orbs are 50% off. (meh)
Special Anniversary duel mats and card sleeves.
AND, to top it all off, they give you 1500 gems FOR FREE.

Definitely log in today for a load of goodies.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Lots of mixed feelings about the selection box over the internet. I love the idea and super happy about thestalos and the benefit for new players. At the same time its outrageous you can only spend gems on 15 packs and have to pay real money for the rest.

The new cards introduced have been confirmed to be in new packs in the future. So kunai, thestalos, etc will be available in later packs which is cool. And the 'vol 1' is a clear indication they plan for a volume 2 (hopefully with floodgate this time) down the road.

Slifers unlock was dissapointing but he's awesome so who cares. I've yet to see a compelling deck to build around him yet though. You can try with disciple and hamstrat but its so situational. I did face someone in ranked with a bamboo mill/3x spell striker combo that got slifer out with 5000 but it left them totally unable to handle counters and i sphere kuribohed them for a next turn deck out. Again, awesome but sadly not functional.

In addition to those rewards you also get ur and sr tickets each day. UR rewards a little weak though...SR's are amazing since you can get old promotions like wetlands and anti magic arrows.

Now I'm focused on getting a halfway decent slifer deck and hoping for mobius, raiza and granmarg to accompany thestalos.

also waiting for tag duels with npc teammates - which means the AI will be really dumb n most likely throw off your own strategy lol - but i'm sure that will be how they release obelisk.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 am

Well, the Zane event is over, and I am disappointed that they never gave me 2 of his prize cards.
I failed to get Zwei and Cyber Repair Plant.
However, I did get 2x Chimeratech Overdragon, so that's nice.
My Aster got to Level 21 or 22 in the amount of time I spent going after Zane.
Also earned Chazz while I was waiting for Zane to appear, and went from GX world Stage 3 to Stage 8 at the same time.
Not bad for never having spent time in the GX world before.

Now I'm just waiting for the next event as I simultaneously rank up all my extra characters in the DM world to at least Level 15.
Finished leveling Mokuba, Bakura, and Melvin to 15, and Bandit Keth (since I now have new Machines) is at 9.
Already had Joey and Mako Tsunami at or above 15, I think my Tea is up around 12 or something, maybe even 16,
and Kaiba and Mai are both mid-30s.
Decided on Level 15, because usually that gives them custom mats or card sleeves, plus icons.
Also, they've leveled up enough to get a few cards and skills by then.
I'll probably aim for 20s with everyone once I get to all 15s.
Leveling really slows down after that point, but with the 1.5x EXP event right now, it helps a lot.

Since I usually build decks that are themed after what the character plays on the show, it is a bit of training as well.
Unfortunately, most my cards in most themes are bad, super old fashioned Normal Monsters with
outdated ATK and DEF, so it's a bit brutal trying to build certain themes.