Duel Links General Discussion

A great place to discuss Konami's new game, "Duel Links" and other Yu-Gi-Oh! mobile games and apps.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Duel Links General Discussion

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 am

Yugi Muto is at the gate right now!
Gonna start on my character missions to unlock him. :mrgreen:

EDIT: You seem to have to unlock Yugi before he'll actually appear, and won't appear if you're using Yami/Atem.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Just to keep this thread alive:

Tag duels are live and are very lackluster, offering just OK rewards and no real replay appeal until master rank comes next week.
This event is more to test the format for larger scale events and possibly PvPvPvP matches in the future, but for now, meh.
Still hoping Obelisk will be the Master league reward card. They've got to bring him in soon and I don't see any leaked information for upcoming events for him.

Yubel, regular Marik, and a roaming Chazz event have either been teased in game or leaked. Chazz should be early February.

The newer boxes are getting pretty far into the TCG, they'll need to double back and release some old cards before they bring in Syncro (Hopefully they won't jump into 5D's until at least fall). The majority of the player base stopped playing the game IRL when Syncro and XYZ came out so if they're smart they'll hold off and release them very slowly. That being said I'm looking forward to the signer dragons. I don't think they'll be OP or anything so the metagame wont change drastically.

Anyone have thoughts on how Syncro will or wont change the game?
Anyone else wish they would buff Blue Eyes? Even Dark Magician can be king of games with Arcana's support.

Also really hoping for Mobius, Raiza and Granmarg to accompany Thestalos. Mobius' effect can be chained so it's not too strong, Raiza won't be gamebreaking because most 6+ monsters rely on special summon anyway and Granmarg is lame. Plus all take up a very costly normal summon. My $0.02

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:18 pm

The tag was a fun change, although it was rather easy and I was disappointed that I couldn't unlock Master rank right away and it stays locked until the 29th. I don't feel anyone would need that long to unlock it.
At least playing the first two ranks has different prize sets for the 3 rounds they each have.
The prize lottery I really hate, and hated back in the recent duelist kingdom tales event.
The rarity of the UR and SR cards are near impossible and the R or N cards get me so many repeats and are worthless.
It really bums me out when it gives you gate keys.
Even being a relatively new player, I have all the gate keys in the universe because I rarely ever use them.
Just give me more gems, it's the only really valuable in-game currency.
I did finally get low on gold recently after going forever with a constant 200-300 thousand.
That's mostly because I got bored of waiting for the Card Trader to have cards I really need or want, so decided to just buy everything
in a probably futile goal of collecting at least one of every card available.

Back the the tag duels, I was kind of disappointed that the rank of the matches you play determines your AI partner.
You have to use Yami for the Normal tier and have to use Joey for the Hard Tier.
Even worse is that Kaiba, my favorite character, is restricted to the Master tier, which as said is locked until the 29th.
At least the custom 3D arena for the duels in neat.
The one flaw with the AI partner is that they prioritize their signature cards over yours, and will often
tribute yours away for theirs, even at a loss of ATK or useful nature.
One example was when I was dueling with Yami Yugi.
When the opponents ended their turn, there were two monsters on our side of the field, and a face down monster on theirs.
Their LP were low enough that we could attack with one to destroy the face down, and then with the other for game.
However, Yami decides that he has to Tribute both monsters to Summon Dark Magician.
Sure, we won the duel the next turn when I was in control, but we could have won a turn earlier.

Another time, also with Yugi (who I feel is more prone to give his own cards priority) was when I was using the Paradox Bros (who are not allowed to tag together, which leads to the tiny bit of story the Tag Tournament has) and their skill Elementals.
This skill starts the duel with Kazejin, Suijin, and Sanga of the Thunder on the field, but they cannot attack or use their effects,
basically ONLY being good for Tributing to Special Summon Gate Guardian. Your LP also start at only 500.
Well the opponent wins the coin toss, but since that skill activates before the first turn, all three monsters were already out.
However, when the opponent ended their turn, I get swapped out for Yami, and Yami decides to Tribute2 of them for Dark Magician.
This leaves me on Turn 4 with a useless Gate Guardian in my hand and the card I drew that turn.
Did we win the duel? Yes, but not the point.

The third time I have to complain about is with Joey.
The opponents have a face down monster.
Because of my skill, we have Gate Guardian with it's massive attack (and only 500 LP).
Because of Joey's skill, we also have Legendary Fisherman with 1850 ATK (Joey's Skill seems to have a 50/50 chance of summoning that or Jinzo).
However, Joey decided to also Summon Time Wizard.
That wouldn't be bad, but instead of taking the sure thing and attacking the opponent's face down with Gate Guardian,
or the nearly sure thing of attacking with Legendary Fisherman to destroy the face down, he attacks with Time Wizard.
WHY? As it turns out, the face down monster had 1000 DEF, and since Time Wizard only has 500 ATK, we lost the duel.
ANY OTHER MOVE would have won the duel, as we had enough to attack for game either way.
Heck, even using Time Wizard's effect would have given us a 50/50 chance of winning.
But, no, Joey did the one thing we could have done to lose the duel because he prioritized attacking with one of his signature monsters.
You never use your weakest monster to attack a face down unless it's a guarantee!

One interesting thing is when picking the Paradox Bros. as your character they actually split them up.
The game randomly chooses Para or Dox as your character and you only get their picture and their voice.
I found that funny since, before Tag Duels, there was literally no situation they'd have to appear separately.
I always figured at the very least that all their voice dialogue segments are part of the same file, but apparently not.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm

I have to say, Master difficulty is really hard.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't beat it.
I have gotten to the Yami/Yugi team a few times, but they keep beating me.
The main problem is Yugi's skill to pull Silent Magician LV 7 from nowhere.
I think it's a skill just for the Tag Tournament, especially since they play at the impossible Level 50, but it's 3500 ATK crushes me.
Not even Blue-Eyes with the Peak Performance skill active can handle it.
Usually the only way I can even reach them is playing as Double Kaiba since AI Kaiba doesn't play the best, makes odd moves,
and prioritizes his monsters as badly as the previous AI tag partners.
So I use Double Kaiba since his abuse of my cards works with his anyway.
I have gotten to the finals recently using Bakura, but, again, that 3500 ATK Silent Magician LV 7 kills me.
I can be winning, their field is dead and open, one or two more attacks will win it, and little Yugi just main characters it into existence.
There's only so many counters to it in this version of the game, and it's brutal to defend against, especially when
I draw badly or when it's the AI's turn.
I'll probably have to switch to the deck I gave Kaiba to beat the Winged Dragon of Ra during that event,
but who knows how well that'll work in tag duels since it's constructed for a different purpose and a single duel.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 pm

I personally had bigger issues with Pegasus because the AI has no idea how to deal with Relinquished. With the Yugis, I had enough backrow to deal with Dark Magician, which is always summoned first, then I had enough board presence to kill them before little Yugi got a chance to summon Silent Magician.

The monster summoning skills will only activate if they control no monsters, so you can try to control the board enough to keep a monster alive on their side until you can otk them.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:53 pm

Oddly I always find Kaiba dealing with Relinquished fine as he sets Twister and then uses that on whatever monster Relinquished is equipped with.
The rest of that duel is fairly straightforward, and if you maintain high ATK, they fall over.

The thing is that I do have decent back row and AI Kaiba plays plenty of back row too.
Dark Magician as Summoned by Yami Yugi isn't anything to deal with, but somehow we always seem to run out of back row
or just don't have the appropriate back row when Silent Magician comes out.
I can't seem to manage to kill them prior to Silent Magician coming out, as they Summon it the first time Little Yugi starts the turn when they are in trouble.
What irks me is that they never seem to have the same problem when Kaiba uses his skill to pull a Blue-Eyes out of nowhere.

It's stuff like that which bugs me in Duel Links, stuff that wouldn't work in the real game either because the 40 card minimum prevents a certain strategy from being viable irl, the irl card pool having more outs to any particular problem, or just skills that don't exist irl.

I've already gotten all my Duel World (DM) characters to Level 15 or higher, but don't have any abusable skills yet, or none I know how to really abuse.
My problem is that, after years of being here, I know how to make a decent 40 card deck, but those lessons don't always fit a 20 card deck.

Also, I think the shuffling in the game is a bit screwy.
Some decks I draw the same cards too often when there's only single copies of cards in the deck.
Too often I'll draw only high level monsters or no monsters in my opening hand despite the odds being against it.
I've seriously had duels where I had no monsters in my opening hand for the first 3 or 4 turns despite the limited Spell/Traps.
I've started hands with all 3 copies of a card at once first hand.
The drawing and shuffling in the game tends to be a bit suspect.
I know a better deck build might mitigate bad draws and bad luck more, but it just seems off.

Anyway, I got sidetracked slightly, but back to the Masters level Tag Tournament.
Yeah... while I more or less breezed through Normal and Hard, Masters is more like insane.
I could probably win more often if it weren't for the Skills of the Level 50 players, but those instant Summons are brutal.
I'm just good enough to win during normal play against the AI, nevermind this stuff.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:51 am

The biggest issue with skills is that the majority of abusable and/or unique ones are locked behind drops. The time required to get something fun like Last Gamble or Destiny Board is absurd, while some extremely powerful skills like the old Three Star Demotion or Destiny Draw are also locked behind that system. The only really abusable skills that are accessable through level up are Middle Aged Mechs and Beatdown, but even then those require specific cards to work.

I can rant forever about the skill drop system, but it just takes too much time for a relative little reward.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

HeartoftheCards1
Rare Duelist

Post by HeartoftheCards1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:13 pm

The AI from the tag duel event was hysterical. It's great practice for playing around human teammates who don't know how to play though lol.

Rewards, as usual, were a little lackluster. Although Evil Salamandra is a great addition to a Rex dino beatdown/control deck. Got to legend rank yesterday with 3 salamandra, electro and backrow staples - which isn't saying much since it was the last day or ranked lol.

The ability drops (or lack thereof) is a great point. Every time I see a cool deck theme on youtube I've never even heard of the ability. Still, field spells and beatdown are usually useful enough for standard gameplay.

Still waiting on Obelisk - with no leaks or hints anywhere in sight. Ra came out December 18th, Slifer on January 12th, so it's bothering me we don't have any info on obelisk yet (february 1st)

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm

The rewards for all these events lately have been lackluster, and the Lottery (both this and the previous Duel City Stories) rewards are a joke with the lotteries repeating some cards so many times, I've been converting whole playsets of singles to god at once.
I'm sick of getting the same cards over and over in the same lottery.

I think D.D. Tower - WATER did it best with Rewards so far.
You couldn't get the same reward every time, as there was a limited number of each prize.
If you got them all, you then were allowed to reset the prize pool, but it made sure you weren't spammed with 100s of copies of the same prize.
The only decent thing the Lottery prizes do is throw gems at you here and there.
However, here again, the D.D. Tower did it better, and I probably got more gems in total, even if it was less often.

I will give Tag Tournament's lottery one thing over Duel City Stories' lottery, and that's the amount of lottery coins they give you.
Especially in the x4 and x6 sections, you can fill up on coins much more often.

While we're complaining about event things, I'd like to make one more complaint.
I am SICK of collecting pieces/fragments/whatever just to play the event.
During the Yami Marik event, it was map fragments.
During the Battle City Stories event, it was dice fragments.
Now it's Friendship Letters (which, really stupidly, are black and red, evil looking things).
It's so grindy!
The Hard and Master level tag duels require 12 and 18 McGuffin pieces PER DUEL.
You cannot even earn that many pieces beating any NPC opponents in Duel World, so each Tag duel requires you to win 2 Duel World duels.
Again, the D.D. Tower did this better.
If you win, you advance.
Keep winning, keep advancing.
I HATE having to sit there grinding NPC duels forever to just go into the tournament and duel some more.
By the time I get enough pieces, I'm already tired of dueling!
Not to mention that it's mathematically restrictive.
You have to beat 2 normal NPCs to get enough McGuffins to do 1 Tag Tournament duel.
Each round in the Hard and Master is 5 duels, and that's provided you don't lose ever.
So then that means you need to duel 10 Duel World NPCs to clear a single round at either level.
There is a maximum of 9 Duel World NPCs, so this means you have to spend Duel Orbs just to play a single Round.
That's providing you never lose as well, and at the Master level, if you lose, you have to do the whole round over.

The fragment system for special events is just terrible.
The lottery is terrible.
The rewards are terrible.

I love the concept of tag dueling, but it's not a good event.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:57 am

There's 10 SD's at stage 45, and you get more event items the higher stage you get. The 10 SDs + 2 LDs + Vagabond + ranked reward + daily reward yields enough event items to be satisfied.

The lottery is purely RNG based, and the drop rate is pretty terrible, so you can expect a ton of duplicates. I got 97 Swordsman of Landstars during the Battle City event before getting a playset of Maha Vailo for example, but at least the R duplicates can go towards the extremely overpriced Card Trader upgrades.

I'm curious on who the teased new character will be in March, the quote they gave was super generic and could fit almost anyone. I'm thinking either Grandpa Muto or Syrus, but it really could be anyone.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 am

Even if you go through all that (and you're assuming everyone playing is at Stage 45), it's still a massive grind to play a full Round at Master level.

No idea what "RNG based" means.
Googled that and got "random number generator".
The problem with that is that if I draw 10, it shouldn't give me multiple of the same item.
If I did a real lottery of numbers between 1 and 100, I shouldn't get, say, #45 three times in the same 10 draw.
There's literally no benefit of drawing 10 times at once vs. drawing one at a time other than speed.
I know there's not even 100 possible lottery prizes, which means it's even better odds of getting multiples, all the more reason for it
to remove the possibility of a number coming up at the same time.
If I draw 10, and I already got prize #12 as the first draw, then the second draw shouldn't have #12 in the pool of numbers.
That would actually make it beneficial to save up enough coins to draw the maximum.
And, let me tell you, it's not a very good RNG since it keeps hitting on the same numbers.
One simple change to the lottery system (besides putting decent prizes in the lottery to begin with) would improve it.
It's so bad that you can almost predict or guarantee you'll get certain cards, which isn't random at all.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 am

I mean RNG based in that the drop rate for SRs/URs for each 300 coin roll sucks, so getting 3 copies of every card will take tens of thousands of coins.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:03 pm

And even then, there's no real good lottery reward.
Maybe Evilswarm Salamandra to give my Rex Raptor deck something new.
I basically play it at this point for the gems and a stretch goal of collecting 1 of every card whether it's good or not.

lol, I'm only a handful of cards away from completing The Ultimate Rising. :D

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Complaint time: I like Tag Duels, I hate the AI partners.

So the AI Kaiba and myself were dueling, and when I left my turn, I had Enemy Controller on my field and Kaiba's Vorse Raider.
By the way, why is Kaiba at Master level playing his basic Starter Deck with vanilla beatsticks?
Why is his deck not Blue-Eyes focus to go with his skill, dragon focused, or even XYZ Dragon Cannon focused?
Anyway...
Now we're playing against the Pegasus/Mickey team (or Sam, whatever Pegasus feels like calling him).
The computer has two 1700 ATK monsters and Toon Gemini Elf.
AI Kaiba starts his turn under these conditions. There's also another backrow on our side, I think it was Tyrant Wing,
but Dragon specific, so useless.
In this situation, he could have used Enemy Controller, put Toon Gemini Elf in DEF since it's DEF is only 900,
run it over with Vorse Raider, and he'd end the turn protected by Vorse Raider's high ATK.
What does he do?
He uses Enemy Controller's OTHER effect that Tributes his monster to take control of an opponent's monster.
So he Tribute Vorse Raider, the more powerful monster, to take the 1700 ATK monster and ram it into the other 1700 ATK monster.
End Phase, computer now has the 1900 ATK Gemini Elf looking at our essentially empty field.

WHY?! Why would you do that?!
It lost us the duel.
It's frustrating enough dealing with opponents who have cheat skills already making things hard on me,
but to have AI make bad moves is even worse.
I hate losing a duel due to no fault of my own in a situation where, if I was in control, we'd have been fine.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:08 pm

I actually managed to win the Masters level!
That only took 100 tries. -_-