Need help to spot fake cards

We encourage you to register and participate in our Yu-Gi-Oh forums. You'll have a lot more fun if you're active, guaranteed!

Please note: WE WILL IMMEDIATELY DELETE SPAM and spammer accounts. Do not advertise other sites w/o prior permission.
Hehe1733
Common Duelist

Need help to spot fake cards

Post by Hehe1733 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Hello guys :)

As the title suggests, I have some cards where I can't tell whether they are fake or original. I hope I choose the right place to post my question, if not I am sorry, maybe let me know where I should have posted it or if I can more my post to the right place.

If you don't want to know anything else and just want to see the fotos here they are. Every foto has one or two cards on it that I am pretty sure are original, because I bought them from a trusty seller. The other card(s) is from eBay. I thought it might help to compare the maybe fake ones to original ones.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5c413uuxqqns ... PNICa?dl=0

Few years ago, I was a big fan of Yugioh cards. But as I got older, other interests took over and I stopped collecting cards. That was around the time when the synchro monsters became a thing.
I remember that back in the day it was really easy to tell whether a card is fake or not. The fake ones were so different that you could spot a fake one miles away.
Not knowing that the fake cards became really good, I bought some cards on eBay the last few weeks. I wanted to feel the nostalgia of some old cards, that I always wanted in the past.

Than I saw videos on YouTube, where people show the new fakes, and suddenly I was not sure if I spend a lot of money on fake cards.

I red a lot of articles and watched YouTube videos on how to spot the fake ones. But sometimes it's only something like a blurred 1st edition symbol to tell that a card is fake.

I thought that the active players, like you all probably, could help me spot the fake cards..:)

A few words to the cards I need your help with (folders in my link are named the same as the list below):

1) LOB-000
As I saw online, there are also reprints of older series, for example the LOB-000 in my collection is supposed to be a reprint. But I noticed that the sparcle effect is a bit on the low side, as you can probably tell from the fotos... Is this normal for a reprint?

2) Ring of destruction
Both are the same Limited edition. Both look exactly the same. One has a gold square in the bottom right corner, one a silver one.
As far as I know, first edition or limited cards always have a gold one. So is the other card fake? I swear it looks besides the square exactly as the other card.
It also seems strange to me that someone would fake a special edition card, that is not really expensive.

3) Yata
The brown on one card is a little different colour than the other card. Slightly different colour = fake?
Also: one is called LOD-000, the other LOD-EN000. Strange?

4) Traps
Tragedy is way darker than all other traps I have seen so far.

5) Water Dragon
The shiny effect is different on one card. It also shines from different angles than the other two.

6) Grandmarg
Different shiny effect and different brown.

7) PSV-G016
different shiny effect.

8.) More fotos of maybe fake cards
Just some random cards that also have slightly/a lot different colour tones than my old ones. These pictures only show cards where I am not sure whether they are fake or not.
ONLY FOR THESE PICTURES: the card on the left is always the (hopefully) original one.

One last question: Sometimes I see cards with a G, for example (don't know if this number actually exists) LOB-G000. Do you know what this means?

If you need better fotos or have questions, feel free to ask :-) Hope you can tell whether I got ripped of or not and thank you all in advance..:)

Hehe1733
Common Duelist

Re: Need help to spot fake cards

Post by Hehe1733 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 am

No one has an idea? :(

FrankieYan
Common Duelist

Post by FrankieYan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am

No idea if the G means the card is fake or not. Why would someone who is faking cards put a G there, though?

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm

FrankieYan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am
No idea if the G means the card is fake or not. Why would someone who is faking cards put a G there, though?
The G and DE are both stand for German language sets.
The older cards, such as LOB-G000, which is Legend of Blue-Eyes, will have the G.
Later sets changed to DE for Deutsche, what Germans actually call the German language.

That's the one really hard part in identifying any of these as fakes on this forum.
This is an English speaking forum, so most our users are not only unfamiliar with German cards, but the German language itself.
To me, most these cards look authentic, but as I don't speak a lick of German, I can't say for sure.
The name, effect, or flavor text might be wrong and I wouldn't know, I can only judge by the general card designs.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Hehe1733
Common Duelist

Post by Hehe1733 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:02 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm
FrankieYan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am
The G and DE are both stand for German language sets.
The older cards, such as LOB-G000, which is Legend of Blue-Eyes, will have the G.
Later sets changed to DE for Deutsche, what Germans actually call the German language.

That's the one really hard part in identifying any of these as fakes on this forum.
This is an English speaking forum, so most our users are not only unfamiliar with German cards, but the German language itself.
To me, most these cards look authentic, but as I don't speak a lick of German, I can't say for sure.
The name, effect, or flavor text might be wrong and I wouldn't know, I can only judge by the general card designs.
Finally I know what that fcking G stands for. :-) After reading your comment it seems obvious, but I thought they always use DE for that. But now I know better.
The text on the cards is correct as far as I can tell. When you say "most cards look authentic", are there any card you aren't sure if they are fake or not? Maybe than I can take a closer look at them.

And thank you both for your comments :-)

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 pm

I didn't see any that were obvious fakes, but, again, take that with a grain of salt as I'm no expert on German cards, or really any non-English cards.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!