Eye of Timaeus and Dark Magician girl

Got something to say? We would like to encourage you to register and participate in our Yu-Gi-Oh and other gaming forums. You'll have a lot more fun if you're active, guaranteed!

Please note: WE WILL IMMEDIATELY DELETE SPAM and possibly the accounts of the forum members who post it. Please save our time and yours by not promoting other web sites without prior approval of the moderator.
Seriss2012
Common Duelist

Eye of Timaeus and Dark Magician girl

Post by Seriss2012 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm

So, the card description for Eye of Timaeus reads "This card is also always treated as "Legendary Dragon Timaeus".)
Target 1 "Dark Magician" monster you control; Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck that lists that monster on the field as a Fusion Material, using it as the Fusion Material. You can only activate 1 "The Eye of Timaeus" per turn."

But, there's a fusion monster that can use the Eye, but uses Dark Magician Girl. So, can the Eye target Dark Magician Girl in this case? Or do I also have to have the regular Dark Magician on the field as well? I tend to think the former, because the words Dark Magician are in quotes, which could include any card with the words "Dark Magician" in it. But I am unclear.

Also, I think it's totally rad that they included the legendary cards in the TCG, and I love how they made them playable.

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare

Re: Eye of Timaeus and Dark Magician girl

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 pm

It's written as "Dark Magician" monster because the only two cards this card can Summon are Amulet Dragon
and Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight.
The former uses "Dark Magician" and the latter uses "Dark Magician Girl".
It saves on card text to not need to name them both.
While you're correct that this allows you to target any monster with "Dark Magician" in it's name, your reasoning is off.
It can target any monster because it says the word monster after the quotes.
If it had said "Dark Magician" instead of "Dark Magician" monster, it would target specifically the card named "Dark Magician".
Part of the fun of Yu-Gi-Oh card wording: A name in quotes is a specific card while text in quotes followed by the word monster
is any monster card with that text in the name.

That aside, this does NOT allow you to substitute one for the other with reguards to the actual Fusion Summon of
Amulet Dragon or Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight.
The reason is that the Fusion Materials specifically list "Dark Magician" and "Dark Magician Girl", and not just "Dark Magician" monster.
This restricts the correct Fusion Materials to those specific monster.

In short, while The Eye of Timaeus targets a generic "Dark Magician" monster, the actual Fusions themselves specifiy which exact monster in the "Dark Magician" archetype it needs.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Seriss2012
Common Duelist

Post by Seriss2012 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Makes perfect sense. I am loving this forum :D

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Seriss2012 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm
Makes perfect sense. I am loving this forum :D
Glad to hear it. :mrgreen:
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!