Gripe: I'm outdated

Got something to say? We would like to encourage you to register and participate in our Yu-Gi-Oh and other gaming forums. You'll have a lot more fun if you're active, guaranteed!

Please note: WE WILL IMMEDIATELY DELETE SPAM and possibly the accounts of the forum members who post it. Please save our time and yours by not promoting other web sites without prior approval of the moderator.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare

Gripe: I'm outdated

Post by MysticJhn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:59 am

I know it's been this way for a while, but even in a "casual" duel where it's "lower tier" decks, it's still
far too many effects and Special Summons.
What happened to my fun little game?
Even with the new master rules semi-limiting the Extra Deck Special Summons, it's still a flood of Special Summons and effects.
Here's how my duels usually go.
Me: Oh hey, I managed to play 1-4 cards this turn and Summon 1-3 monsters. Good start, me.
Opponent: Oh hey, I managed to play 15 cards, dumping 20 cards into the grave, and Summoned 4-6 monsters because I got 1 more zone now.
Me: (Wakes up half an hour later when their turn is done and my field is gone.) Oh right... I play this 1 card and end.

Again, this is happening with lower tiered decks.
Everyone is playing these lightning fast, ultra calculated decks with revolving door effects, and everything chains into everything.
Meanwhile, I'm happy if I can manage to chain 3 cards together in a turn that might do 1 thing.
There are so many effects to each card now, and so many cards happening at once that I've given up reading cards.
I am just sat there assuming everything my opponent did is written somewhere on the 30 cards they played turn one.

I don't know how y'all can keep up with all the cards, memorized them all, and then memorize all the cards
you're not playing because your opponent might be playing them.

Remember when effects only did 1 thing, removing a card from play was an actual penalty,
and the Graveyard only had a handful of cards in the entire game that could actually use it?
Yeah, neither do I.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

jwestbro11
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Re: Gripe: I'm outdated

Post by jwestbro11 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 pm

I kmow how you feel but that is modern day yugioh. The only way to get around that is to duel forum memebers who know your prefrences on yugioh or buy old video games maybe find some scrubs every once in a while.
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:Surely you have plenty of normal monsters :lol:
Video Madness
Poetry, Stories, and Fan Fiction Table of Contents

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:57 pm

GOAT FORMAT
Or other fun old formats
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Rare

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 pm

jwestbro11 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 pm
I kmow how you feel but that is modern day yugioh. The only way to get around that is to duel forum memebers who know your prefrences on yugioh or buy old video games maybe find some scrubs every once in a while.
Yeah, I know that's the modern game.
I've known that for years, but I was kind of hoping that the new Extra Deck Zone rules would ease the pain a bit.
It hasn't really.

It's hard to find a scrub when you are one.
I even lost to my nephew a couple weeks back. :D
To be fair, though, it was an irl duel and he was using my current Dragon Deck vs.
some old deck of mine from possibly before I joined this forum or not long after
that's barely a functional deck.
BUT STILL!

I was barely catching up before Xyz Monsters were a thing, and with every set I fall further behind.
I would need to start on a fresh new version of Yu-Gi-Oh where everyone is new to even reach mediocre skills at this point. :P
Lord dragon wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:57 pm
GOAT FORMAT
Or other fun old formats
You know, people have been spouting the name of that format for as long as I've been a member, but I have no clue what it is.
That was well before my time as a duelist.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!