Formula for the Perfect Deck

We encourage you to register and participate in our Yu-Gi-Oh forums. You'll have a lot more fun if you're active, guaranteed!

Please note: WE WILL IMMEDIATELY DELETE SPAM and spammer accounts. Do not advertise other sites w/o prior permission.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Formula for the Perfect Deck

Post by MysticJhn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:05 am

While the basic concept of deck building is that there is no
one perfect deck, and there's always a way to beat any deck,
there is this annoying character trope in Yu-Gi-Oh anime and games
of characters who try to design their deck using math, calculations, and formulae
to design their deck to be perfect and never lose.

Now, thanks to Konami wanting to sell more archetypes and cards, they tend to
just play straight up archetypes like every other character, but tend to lose to
you (in games) or the protagonist (in anime) regardless, chalking it up to variables
they failed to account for or their math being off.

However, this does make one wonder if there is something as close to
a perfect deck formula as possible considering both the current legal card pool
and the requirements to defeating any opponent.

There are some things that you might say any deck needs to win.
Draw power.
Synergy.
Graveyard abuse.
Hand/field destruction.
Burn... maybe.
Effect negation.
Battle advantage.
And, of course, a win condition.

Is there something close to a perfect deck that cannot lose a person could build?
Could there be a possible formula that can be applied to any ban list and any card pool to decide the perfect deck for a meta?
One that's not simply defined by archetype (although archetype really supports synergy), but by plugging the correct cards into a formula?

Can you actually mathematically figure a deck like the anime trope?
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Re: Formula for the Perfect Deck

Post by Lord dragon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:45 am

I don't think GY abuse or hand destruction. Burn I would actually say is important, not so much as the strategy of the deck but as poke damage and backup.

And as for what I would add to that, that is sort of touched on with the GY. ANY mechanic that the deck can properly abuse.

I would also reword effect negation and make a 2nd thing. Counterplay (handtraps, counter traps, anything you activate in response) and Floodgates.
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Formula for the Perfect Deck

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Mechanic abuse I would list under synergy.
Usually if there's a mechanic being abused, it's purposely being done by the archetype or other card choices that works with all the other cards.
I would think it's too individual to an archetype, and doesn't really apply to a formula that would work for any meta.
Meanwhile, Graveyard abuse is rather generic and useful for most any archetype in any meta.
Effects that happen in the Graveyard are harder with less options to negate, and Special Summoning from the Graveyard is always useful.

Also, counter play pretty much always falls under effect negation, so there's no need for a separate part of any formula for it.
I already consider hand traps as effect negation, as that's what most of them do.
Something like Honest, which doesn't fall under effect negation already falls under battle advantage, as does anything else that boosts ATK and/or DEF.
Counter traps by definition are effect negation, as that's all they do.

I would definitely defend hand destruction as important in a "perfect" deck designed by formula to win.
Hand destruction falls under card advantage, which is important in all collectible card games.
However, saying that, I might make a more generic "Card Advantage" addition to the list.
Problem with that is that I already listed draw power, which also falls under card advantage.

Is card advantage fall under something you could put in a formula, or is that just something you should always consider as a good player?
That's just general strategy and skill, something that can't really be plugged into a formula.
No matter how perfect a deck a formula can make, a duelist still needs to know how to play it.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!