Beating Monarchs

Here is the place to share about any great strategies that you've come up with or that have been used against you.
Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Beating Monarchs

Post by Wallaceman105 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 am

So here's a little set of tips I'll pass on to you guys, in case any of you were wondering.

1) If Domain is out and you can't pendulum summon: Tribute summon something
The most important thing that no one thinks of! Pendulum 1 monster from the hand, then tribute summon! Poof! Extra deck powers, activate!

2) March of the Monarchs countering your usual spell/trap setup? try Storming mirror force if you've got it. If not, try Waboku.
March prevents targeting and destroying, so these alt mirror forces coming out are a great counter. Waboku is a weak card, but it can make a good substitute for those of us in the more...broke status.

3) Majesty's Fiend? Continuous effects aren't stopped. Neither are inherent special summons. Use this to your advantage.
Seriously, if you can't beat over a March'd MF with Domain out, and you can't get the March/domain cleared, go cry. They will hit you and hit you with him until you run out of defenses. By the time you get past him, you're probably low on resources to finish out the duel on.

4) Effect Veiler
Timing is everything. You have to know when they're putting their turn on the line. If they've normal summoned Eidos or Edea, cutting them off at the knees then will castrate their turn, and maybe give you the edge for the entire duel.

5) Anti-Monarch Floodgates:
While these aren't practical for all or even most decks to run, they do kill the strategy rather nicely.
-Necrovalley
-Mask of Restrict
-Curse Seal of the Forbidden Spell(Target Pantheism, Tenacity)
-Fog King
-Anti-Spell Fragrance (someone did this to me as a joke. I wanted to friggin cry in that duel.)

6) When in doubt, twist it out. Twin Twisters is murder for monarchs, if they don't have MF out.
It's been said repeatedly, the weakness of the deck lies in its reliance on support cards.

good luck, hope you guys have fun
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Re: Beating Monarchs

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Thnx
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

#SparksForGame
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by #SparksForGame » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Or, we can expect them to brick and we can play as normal?
Maybe its time to get a signature picture of sorts >.> Max-rarity Yosenju's will be a thing!
My tradelist, marvel at how organized it is! http://tinyurl.com/omgklke
(No, I'm not conducting mail-trades on the forum, before you ask; only showing off!)

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:48 pm

#SparksForGame wrote:Or, we can expect them to brick and we can play as normal?
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

#SparksForGame
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by #SparksForGame » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Wallaceman105 wrote:
#SparksForGame wrote:Or, we can expect them to brick and we can play as normal?
I fail to see the relevancy of that picture towards my reply.
Maybe its time to get a signature picture of sorts >.> Max-rarity Yosenju's will be a thing!
My tradelist, marvel at how organized it is! http://tinyurl.com/omgklke
(No, I'm not conducting mail-trades on the forum, before you ask; only showing off!)

einstein
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by einstein » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 pm

OP is the bat

Monarch deck is the ball
*Signature created by Kamikon Wolf*

The more you observe, the less you assume.

Reading is fundamental.

arkain07
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by arkain07 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Well for the most part Light/shadow Imprisoning mirrors do work well again these decks keeping other things from happening weather its draw power or just stoping the effects of after they pay the cost which is a big plus.

They do use a lot of grave effects so Abyss Dweller to stop Prime from coming back and other grave effects from kicking off. Same goes for other cards. Also a good way to protect yourself from the effects of the Power Ranger that they use.

Key Beetle with mask of Restrict just shuts them out.

Deck is pretty much a glass Jaw. They can easily brick and rely heavily on their spell cards so Nat Beast pretty much stops them for the most part.

There are a few other things I can add about beating Monarchs.
Atumman105 wrote:This isn't easy for me to say, but I've been 100% completely wrong about Monarchs. Thanks to Arkain, I now properly understand both them AND the importance of hand advantage. Thanks, Arkain!

user name here is the same as DN Arkain07

Clan = Moon