Yu-Gi-Oh! 2017!

New cards released, updated lists, new episodes? If you have news to report, this is the place.
yusei-oh
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! 2017!

Post by yusei-oh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 am

Link summon?

I'm going to reserve my judgement until I understand how it works...
If you're Christian and not afraid to admit it, Put this in your sig! God FTW!!!

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Never thought I would say it, but I just don't like the new stuff.

Rolled with Synchro, Xyz, and Pendulum and... But so far I don't like this.

Have to use 'links' to summon multiple extra deck monsters. 100% Bull

Pendulum scales to S/T zone, actually don't mind this one.

Going to see about offloading my collection and will take a wait and see approach. Keeps playing Goats and maybe finish some decks for other formats (Dragon Ruler, Qliphort for the DUEA/Nekroz format, maybe other formats)
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Those are very weird and I don't really like it.
The style of summoning seems confusing at best, although maybe a better explanation or
to see it actually function would make it seem better.
Their inability to be in Defense Position seems broken.
Not so much broken as in overpowered, moreso just broken as in the basic game rules don't function anymore.
They literally are naturally unaffected by some cards, even if their effects are being negated, and that's just going to be a ruling nightmare.
It's a bad mechanic I think.
Also, they are blue, and that clashes with Ritual Monsters.
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 pm

My biggest gripe is that it limits extra deck summons. Quasar is now extremely difficult to summon, Bahamut Shark among other cards is now completely neutered, and the zones are going to be a ruling nightmare with stuff like Omega and Stardust.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

Darksoul
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by Darksoul » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:36 pm

The Link Mechanic has finally killed the game for me, gg. I'm converting to Magic The Gathering
Evilfaic wrote:Just put Magician of Faith into MS Paint and color it black. Basically an Xyz.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:36 pm

xion52998 wrote:My biggest gripe is that it limits extra deck summons. Quasar is now extremely difficult to summon, Bahamut Shark among other cards is now completely neutered, and the zones are going to be a ruling nightmare with stuff like Omega and Stardust.
I missed in the poorly written (or poorly translated) description how it limits Extra Deck summons.
Can you explain that?

I seriously need a better explanation of the mechanic, as I can't wrap my head around it.
It's not like Synchro or Xyz Summons where the concept was simple and similar to Fusions.
Even Pendulum Summons made more sense when you saw the new field layout.
However, the way that page was written, it was confusing if you just needed Effect monsters,
or needed a lower tier Link monster, or a combination of those, and the Link Markers
really lose me in how they work, because they seem to be able to point in all 8 general directions,
yet the Monster Card row is just that, a row. There can only possibly be a card to the left or right.
That example card links on the top and two bottom corners, neither of which is a direction that
another monster would be.
Maybe other Link Monsters just need matching Link arrows?

Yeah, a much clearer, or better written explanation is needed, and for me, probably a simple demonstration of the mechanic as well.

yusei-oh
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by yusei-oh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 pm

This guy Explained it pretty well.
(Language Warning)

Seems like a limiter to extra deck summons now.
If you're Christian and not afraid to admit it, Put this in your sig! God FTW!!!

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:39 pm

MysticJhn wrote:
xion52998 wrote:My biggest gripe is that it limits extra deck summons. Quasar is now extremely difficult to summon, Bahamut Shark among other cards is now completely neutered, and the zones are going to be a ruling nightmare with stuff like Omega and Stardust.
I missed in the poorly written (or poorly translated) description how it limits Extra Deck summons.
Can you explain that?

I seriously need a better explanation of the mechanic, as I can't wrap my head around it.
It's not like Synchro or Xyz Summons where the concept was simple and similar to Fusions.
Even Pendulum Summons made more sense when you saw the new field layout.
However, the way that page was written, it was confusing if you just needed Effect monsters,
or needed a lower tier Link monster, or a combination of those, and the Link Markers
really lose me in how they work, because they seem to be able to point in all 8 general directions,
yet the Monster Card row is just that, a row. There can only possibly be a card to the left or right.
That example card links on the top and two bottom corners, neither of which is a direction that
another monster would be.
Maybe other Link Monsters just need matching Link arrows?

Yeah, a much clearer, or better written explanation is needed, and for me, probably a simple demonstration of the mechanic as well.
There are two monster zones that you can Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link to. They are located above the second and fourth main monster zone. Once you summon to one of them, the other becomes your opponents, so now there is essentially one zone to summon extra deck monsters to. However, if you Link summon to the zone, the arrows on the card point to different zones. These zones become link zones, which you can also fusion, xyz, synchro, and link to. So in essence, unless you link summon, you only have 1 zone to extra deck summon to.

Pendulums zones are now the left-most and right-most spell/trap zones. They are normal s/t zones until a pendulum is played there. Additionally, you can pendulum from the extra deck with no restrictions.

Link summons are pretty much tributes from the extra deck. You tribute material required on the card, with the number of monsters equaling the link counter on the bottom right. For example, the Link monster Missus Radiant requires 2 earth monsters to be link summoned. So you tribute* the 2 earth monsters and place Missus Radiant in your extra zone or a linked zone. (Tribute is a placeholder). Additionally, you can link summon using the link counters on link monsters, with the number being the number of material it counts for towards the link zone. So Missus Radiant counts as 2 effect monsters to summon Decode Talker. However, you cannot use a Decode Talker to summon another Decode Talker, because while they have a link counter of 3, they still require 2 or more effect monsters.

Once a link monster is placed in the extra zone, the arrows highlighted on the card point to linked zones. They can point to your opponents field as well. For example, Missus Radiant in the second extra monster zone points to the third and fifth monster zone. You can now link, synchro, etc into these zones.

Hopefully that explained this enough. If you need more, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux38RACO2kQ this is a video that shows a combo that you can do that utilizes the link monsters.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Well, I believe I understand it now, but frankly it sounds like a ruling mess and makes things unnecessarily complicated.
The anime had better be good, because this mechanic is not.

So instead of balancing Special Summons by doing something simple like just setting a limit per turn,
they added Extra Zones, changed the layout of the field to something stupid, moved the Pendulum Zones that they just added,
and beyond Nerfed Extra Deck Summons, killing anything that used more than 1 Extra Deck monster to Summon unless you
buy their brand new cards to open up Zones you already could have used before Link Monsters.

Good job, Konami.
You found a way to damage the one thing you used to save Yu-Gi-Oh after GX; the expanded use of the Extra Deck.
We should have quit while we were ahead back in the Synchro era.

dracostrike
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by dracostrike » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 am

The nerf to the extra deck will be interesting to see what decks come out from this.

Also does anyone know if you can use tokens in the link summon?
Zeta wrote:DRACO I FORGOT YOUR A PERSON! YO lol!
Thank you YCG, for everything.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 am

dracostrike wrote:The nerf to the extra deck will be interesting to see what decks come out from this.

Also does anyone know if you can use tokens in the link summon?
Currently, it is unknown if the summon requires the cards to hit the graveyard. If it doesn't, which is how the trend was with fusion and synchro, you should be able to use tokens for the appropriate link monster (e.g. Multiplication of Ants for Missus Radiant).

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:58 am

One question that has gone unaddressed are Link Monsters having ATK and no DEF.
Now it's clear you can't put them in Defense position in any form.
Can they be attacked or attack normally? Can you attack the normal Monster Row withoout attacking the Link Monster?
If an effect flips cards face-down (which almost always includes Defense Position), do they flip face down?
If you have ONLY a Link Monster on the field, is that still protecting your Life Points?
If you kill a Link Monster, does that "break the link", destroying anything it's linked to?

Another thought. There are left and right link markers, so I assume, since Link Monsters have their own zone, would a link marker
that points to the other Link Zone allow you to use both Link Zones for yourself, locking your opponent out of Special Summoning entirely?
That's a potentially dangerous thought, because then the game might become a race to Link Summon first, which is horrible.
I assume any Link Monster that has link markers that could link to the other Link Zone would also have markers linking the opponent's field,
but the fact they might be disabled is frightening.
If people hate watching the opponent basically play Solitaire now, imagine doing that while you have no legal way to Special Summon.

I still feel these cards will be a ruling nightmare and a hinderance.
They'll probably work really cool and smoothly in the anime, but real life doesn't have writers, and real people get salty.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:08 pm

MysticJhn wrote:One question that has gone unaddressed are Link Monsters having ATK and no DEF.
Now it's clear you can't put them in Defense position in any form.
Can they be attacked or attack normally? Can you attack the normal Monster Row withoout attacking the Link Monster?
If an effect flips cards face-down (which almost always includes Defense Position), do they flip face down?
If you have ONLY a Link Monster on the field, is that still protecting your Life Points?
If you kill a Link Monster, does that "break the link", destroying anything it's linked to?

Another thought. There are left and right link markers, so I assume, since Link Monsters have their own zone, would a link marker
that points to the other Link Zone allow you to use both Link Zones for yourself, locking your opponent out of Special Summoning entirely?
That's a potentially dangerous thought, because then the game might become a race to Link Summon first, which is horrible.
I assume any Link Monster that has link markers that could link to the other Link Zone would also have markers linking the opponent's field,
but the fact they might be disabled is frightening.
If people hate watching the opponent basically play Solitaire now, imagine doing that while you have no legal way to Special Summon.

I still feel these cards will be a ruling nightmare and a hinderance.
They'll probably work really cool and smoothly in the anime, but real life doesn't have writers, and real people get salty.
They can be attacked normally, and for all intents and purposes monsters. They cannot be facedown in any fashion. Because they are monsters, your opponent will need to destroy them before attacking directly. It is currently unknown if breaking a link destroys what it is linked to. Chances are it wouldn't, but it is definitely possible it will.

Link monsters with left and right markers can only affect your main monster zone while they themselves are in it. For example, one with a left and right marker in zone 3 will link with 2 and 4.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:17 pm

How can they be in your main monster zone?
It was said before that anything special summoned goes to that Extra Zone or Link Zone
and that, without a Link Monster, you cannot Special Summon beyond that.

See, even with that video and explanation, I have more questions than answers.
I know it's still super early, but this transition is going to be a mess.
I'm not a tournament level player, so I figure I'll probably have the same or similar problems most people have.
I can't imagine the joke "6+" recommendation grasping these well from the start.
Then again, I have trouble imagining kids that young grapsing the game well as is.

I'm still baffled by the direction these monsters seem to be taking the game.
After YEARS of trying to speed up the game, and the most recent monster types, Pendulums, seemingly making the game ridiculously fast
with Special Summons, such a crazy card-based restriction is a whiplashingly reversal of gameplay.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 pm

MysticJhn wrote:How can they be in your main monster zone?
It was said before that anything special summoned goes to that Extra Zone or Link Zone
and that, without a Link Monster, you cannot Special Summon beyond that.

See, even with that video and explanation, I have more questions than answers.
I know it's still super early, but this transition is going to be a mess.
I'm not a tournament level player, so I figure I'll probably have the same or similar problems most people have.
I can't imagine the joke "6+" recommendation grasping these well from the start.
Then again, I have trouble imagining kids that young grapsing the game well as is.

I'm still baffled by the direction these monsters seem to be taking the game.
After YEARS of trying to speed up the game, and the most recent monster types, Pendulums, seemingly making the game ridiculously fast
with Special Summons, such a crazy card-based restriction is a whiplashingly reversal of gameplay.
You can summon link monsters to link zones, hence the name link because you link the extra zone to your main zones, then you can continue to link from there.