Yu-Gi-Oh! 2017!

New cards released, updated lists, new episodes? If you have news to report, this is the place.
MysticJhn
Super Special Awesome Duelist

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! 2017!

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:31 am

xion52998 wrote:You can summon link monsters to link zones, hence the name link because you link the extra zone to your main zones, then you can continue to link from there.
See, that's confusing, because before it sounded like anything you Special Summon
has to go to that Link Zone (Extra Zone? Does it have an official name yet?), reguardless of what kind of Special Summon it was.
Or, at the very least, anything Special Summoned from the Extra Deck.
So now you're telling me I can Fusion, Synchro, Xyz like normal to the Monster Card Zone
without needing a Link Monster at all in the Link Zone?
How does this effect Special Summons from the hand, such as something like Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon?
Dr. Red needs to be a Special Summon, and then using it's effect would be a second Special Summon.

In short, does NOT having a Link Monster restrict all kinds of Special Summons, or just Extra Deck Special Summons?
To Discuss Moderatory Actions, Click Here!
If you need an avatar, check out the Avatar Encyclopedia!

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:34 am

You can summon a Extra Deck monster (Fusion, Xyz, Synchro, and now LINK) to the Link Zone. However if you do not have a LINK (The arrow things) pointing to a spot on your board (Your opponent can actually LINK to your board for you) you can not summon additional Extra Deck Monster.

LINK monster can not be face down or in Defense position, but as I understand it they have the exact same combat as any other monster (Even in the Link Zone)

Extra Deck Monsters can be summoned without a link to the Normal Monster Zones from the grave so long as they were properly summoned first. I assume the same holds true for link monsters.

As far as i can tell you can still Pendulum from extra just like before.
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:16 am

I'm just going to need to see this used live once these cards are out, because this still doesn't make 100% sense to me.
The way I'm reading it, everyone can SS Extra Deck monsters normally until a Link Monster comes out, and then
Extra Deck Summons can only happen in Linked zones.

I'm still curious how the sideways Links happen since you're only allowed to have 1 monster in the Link Zone.
How and why would you put a Link Monster in your main Monster Card Zone?
Some of the stuff you guys have said almost seems contradictory to other things said.

And this is just confusion on how to actually place the card on the field and how it restricts other Special Summons.
Then there's the whole deal with the monster requirements. The example card says "2 Effect Monsters", but then later in the text
it says something about 1 Link Monster + 2 Effect Monsters. Which is it? Is it a variable?
Would you use Link 1 or Link 2 monsters to bring out a Link 3?

Again, really need to see these cards in action, and I'm sure we don't have all the information yet,
especially since I expect them to air on the anime before the actual physical cards are printed.
I still don't like them.
I don't trust Konami has thought them out well mechanics wise and it'll break something that they didn't think of.
I feel like they made things up quickly just to sell a new anime, but hadn't considered how they really work in real life.
I don't like the fact that the new cards needed yet another field layout change to work after we just had a field layout change.
It just seems messy.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:57 am

There are two zone types when the duel starts, the 5 main monster zones and the 2 extra zones. Once you extra deck summon to a zone, the other becomes your opponent's. Additionally, if you fusion, synchro, or xyz to that zone, you cannot summon from the extra deck at all until that monster is removed from the field or the opponent links with your field. If you summon a link monster to the extra zone, the highlighted link markers point to monster zones. These monster zones now become link zones, and you can now extra deck summon to them. If you link summon to these link zones, the sideways markers will be pointing to other main monster zones that become link zones as well.
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.
If you have a ruling question, feel free to PM me.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Yeah, if you Link Summon to the main zone, the sideways markers point to other Monster Card Zones.
My main question about that is if your initial Link Monster, the one in the Link Zone, has the sideways Markers.
Those point to the other Link Zone.
Does that allow you to occupy both Link Zones, even though the rules say once you take one Zone, the other belongs to your opponent?
This is what I meant about not trusting Konami to have thought out the mechanic well and how it works irl.
The very rules about only getting to use 1 Link Zone is contradictory to the Link Monster linking to the zones it poiutns to, i.e., the zone to either side.
The only way I can figure that works is if the Link Zones are defined as having a gap between them you cannot link through.
Seeing as they have vertical link markers, then the Link Zones have to line up vertically with standard card columns.
Since there's 5 columns, if Link zones cannot be the center of the field unless there's a 3rd psace between them.
If they are next to one another, then they are columns 2 and 3, or columns 3 and 4, which is offset to either the left or right side.
If there's a gap between them, though, the Lik Zones are column 2 and 4 with a blank, unused space above column 3.
That might fix the sideways link markers from hitting the other Link Zone since you can just say there's nothing there to link to,
same as if your link monster was on the edge of the monster card row and the arrow pointed off the edge.

Link Monsters also have no Level, although that'll be a similar situation to when XYz came out and used Ranks instead.

Also, rereading that V Jump article gives me another thought.
I don't think Link Monsters effect other types of Special Summon at all.
Nowhere does it actualy say anything about Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Summoning in the Linked Zones.
I'm starting to think we're misunderstanding that and Link Monsters can ONLY go into the Link Zone at first, which is why the other zone becomes your opponent's.
The link markers only effect where you can place other Link Monsters.
All other types of monsters still function normally.
The strategy there is to place your Link Monster, since it can help your opponent Link, in a place they already have a monster
occupying that zone so they can't link off your Link Monster.
Decode Talker seems to gain ATK based upon what else it's linked to, but maybe only other Link Mnsters count as linked to it.
Or maybe anything but another Link Monster still counts as Linked, but it's a dead end to extend the link.

Yeah, looking over that page again makes me feel we've been thinking incorrectly and that the link markers
don't limit your other Special Summons, it only limits where you can place another Link Monster.
That's MUCH less complicated than Link Monsters being a limiter for all other Special Summons, and fits better
in with Konami's past adjustments of the game to be Special Summon focused.

See, this is why I need to see it in action.
I think we're interpreting it badly based off a bad translation and details have gotten lost.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Alright, I have wrapped my head around this now, as I found a video
that showed a much better traslation of the V-Jump article, which made this all very clear.

First off, the old Monster Card Zones are now MAIN Monster Card Zones.
No Extra Deck Cards allowed.
Pendulum Zones no longer exist UNLESS you put Pendulum Monsters into your Spell & Trap Card Zones.
If you have a Pendulum Monster in Zones 1 or 5 (the outside edges), they become Pendulum Zones.
This leaves you with only 3 Spell & Trap Card Zones in between them.
There are two Extra Zones above Main Monster Card Zones 2 and 4.
If you Special Summon ANYTHING from the Extra Deck, it HAS TO go there.
Once you take one of those, the opponent automatically gets the other one.
Special Summons from the hand or anywhere else are uneffected. This only effects Extra Deck Monsters.
Unless you use a Link Monster, you can only have 1 Extra Deck Monster ever.
Extra Deck Monsters can only go into Zones that are Linked to, including further Link Monsters.

Link Monsters are summoned 2 ways.
1) Tribute a number of material monsters equal to the Link number.
The example card is 3 and requires Effect Monsters, so you would Tribute any 3 Effect Monsters.
2) You can add monsters linked together to the Tribute total to Summon a Link Monster.
For example, you already have 1 Link Monster in the Extra Zone. If you want another Link 3 monster,
you can place the new Link Monster into a linked zone and only Tribute 2 Effect Monsters.
So for every additional linked zone, you need less Tributes.
Effectively, given enough linked Link Monsters, you can Special Summon one for zero cost.

Extra Deck Monsters can ONLY go into the Main Monster Card Zone if a Link Monster links to that specific Zone.
Link Monsters have Link Markers (the highlighted arrows) equal to their Link Number.
So Link 1 Monsters have 1 Linked Zone, Link 2 have 2 Linked Zones, etc.

So, for example, Decode Talker, if placed in your left Extra Monster Zone, points to Main Monster Zones 1 and 3.
This will allow you to Special Summon 2 Extra Deck Monsters, but only to those Zones specifically.
Be careful, though, since Decode Talker would also point to your opponent's Main Monster Zone 4,
allowing them to Special Summon an Extra Deck Monster to their Main Monster Zone.
The trick would be to place your Link Monster in the Extra Zone only pointing to Main Monster Zones they already have occupied.
The strategy of the game really seems like it'll shift from spamming monsters to strategic zone occupation to allow you to have more monsters.

I know some of you probably think you've explained this exactly to me already,
but it really helped to have a better translation directly from the V-Jump page.
I get it now, as the other translation we had earlier in this thread was choppy, badly written, and was
missing the bits about the Main Monster Zone entirely.

I hate these monsters less now that they seem less over complicated, but I'm still on the fence about them.
It almost seems like Link Monsters linked to other Link Monsters would become so necessary that
other Extra Deck Monsters become useless and clunky.
It seems like a mechanic designed to force people to only use new cards in the meta, which feels more like a business decision than
a good gameplay decision.

Lord dragon
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Lord dragon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:39 pm

real question is, what happens to the linked monsters if the original LINK dies?
Signature By DFB, maybe.
Majespecter Catastrophe
NANANA
MysticJhn wrote: Why did I lock this thread?
The last 3 pages.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 pm

As far as I can tell from videos and the Wikia, nobody knows yet.
I would assume nothing, it just breaks the link and forces you to Special Summon in the Extra Zone again.
It would be way too broken if killing some 2300 ATK monster would kill all these XYz and Synchros on both
sides of the field just because they are unlinked now.

It did occur to me that there's a physical limit to link numbers, that being a Link 8.
There are only 8 possible markers, and you could never have a Link monster that used all 8 sides.
There's just nowhere on the field that would be possible.
Just becuase of the field limitations, I'd say Link 5 or 6s are the most likely major Link Monsters.
You're not going to typically get more than that in real play.
Even then with a 6 you're almost certainly counting a Link on your opponent's side since you need to
have a space to place the monster in your Main Monster Zone.
I imagine the 3 and 4s to be utilitarian, sort of relevant effect wise to Rank 4 Xyz Monsters or Level 4-6 Synchros.
Link 1 and 2s I picture as just throw away Link Monsters, basically just there to get your Xyz or Synchro out into the Main Zone
and maybe a cheap effect.
They'll probably be very weak and without Defense Position, your opponent will run them over the very next turn.
Maybe use them in cheeky ways to extend a Link because your higher Link Monsters didn't have the direction you needed.
Links, as I figure, will need advanced planning, because otherwise you could get yourself stuck with nowhere to Summon.
If you Summon a Link Monster that only goes left, but you've got more spaces to the right, you'll be stuck.
Also, it'll take more Extra Deck planning than just stuffing it with 15 OP cards.
The first Link Monster always needs one of the 3 down directions, otherwise you can only have the one.
Obversely, once you get to the Main Zones, if you can't go left or right, you're also in trouble.
You'll have to have a more strict plan in your head of the order you'll Summon Monsters.

I was thinking that you'll want more Link Monsters in your Extra Deck than Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz just to have options
in case your opponent Summons a Link Monster before you. A way to take advantage of that in addition to your own.
Konami really has set it up now to where something like the old fashioned Elemental Heros can't be played.
To have more than 1 Fusion on the field, you'd need at least 2 Link Monsters on the field, leaving you only 1 space for
anything from your hand.

Sorry for the essay, but I've been having nonstop thoughts on this now that I comprehend it.
What I do like is that this turns Pendulums from spam city to more of a utility that baically feeds your field Link Monster materials.
Pendulum Zones, when you have them, prevents you from playing too many Traps or Continuous Spells,
so you really can't be as effiecient with Pendulum focused decks anymore.
These new Link mechanics really are going to change everything if you think about it.
It's not like previous where it all still sort of worked like classic Yu-Gi-Oh, just regularly getting faster.
I feel like the focus of the game will shift from OP effect spam to more of a control-based game.

Also, Senet cards might actually be relevant since Linking depends highly on card position! :mrgreen:

Wallaceman105
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by Wallaceman105 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Ok, so I'm kinda liking this, but like mystic said, holy [bleep] that whiplash.

I need to know one thing:
Rank-Up-Magic spells.
Since the monster summoned uses the existing one, but you do not have an additional "Link Zone" when you (attempt to) declare the summon, can the summon still go through?

If so, I might try the game again, because Raidraptors are still viable under those conditions. Highly castrated, but what TF isn't by this.

Situation:
I have Raidraptor - Force Strix in my Link Zone. I have no other valid Link Zone. Can I activate Rank-Up-Magic Skip Force to Xyz Summon Raidraptor - Revolution Falcon?
XYZ Dragon Cannon wrote:
DFB3636 wrote:
Zanrith wrote:Make the extra deck great again, too many pendulums are entering our decks!
Just build a wall of floodgates.
And make the OCG pay for it!

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 am

I'm going to say that, because Force Strix becomes Xyz Material for Revolution Falcon after the first effect of Skip Force, it would just replace Force Strix in your Link Zone (although I think it's offcially the Extra Monster Zone or the Extra Zone, but I could be wrong).
However, I think it disables you from using the second effect of Skip Force because you have no Link Monster in your Extra Zone to link to, so you only get the one Xyz Monster.
This is questionable, though, because I'm not sure if the new Zone restricts only orignal Summons of Extra Deck Monsters, or also restricts them from being Summoned a second time from the Graveyard or banishment.
The only explanation I've seen so far is that the Main Monster Zone is for Main Deck Monsters only unless a Link Monster links to that specific zone.
I'd say, just to be safe, only try to Summon an Extra Deck Monster from anywhere into an already linked zone or the Extra Zone.

If I was more up to date on current cards, I'd probably notice more of these ruling headaches this is still causing.
There definitely needs to be a more in depth explanation of the mechanic.
I can understand the main mechanic now, but it's the odd things like this that's still up in the air.

Along the same lines would be something like REDMD.
Currently, if I wanted to use it's effect to bring back a destroyed Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon from the grave,
I can as long as it was properly Fusion Summoned originally.
However, right now I'm wondering if I can do something like that if there's nothing linked on my side.
Would it have to go to the Extra Zone? What if my Extra Zone is occupied by something else and my only open zones are unlinked?

This might be a ruling nightmare for 1000 different individual cards, even if we all understand the mechanic.
Just look at all the conversation the new mechanic caused, and we don't know a single thing about the new anime yet.
Just imagine the chaos when we actually get back to discussing the anime... you know, the topic of this thread.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 am

As far as we know, you can use RUM freely. Additionally, the VJUMP page specifically mentioned reborning from grave. The monster will go in the main monster zones with no restriction if it is in the grave. For this reason, it is currently confusing in regards to cards like Omega (will it return to the field if I fill up the zone?) and Bahamut Shark (Does specialing the Xyz count for the extra zone?)
MysticJhn wrote:Pickles always like you, reguardless on how you feel about them.

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:30 am

Back to the main topic...
As I just edited into the OP, we have a title change on MyAnimeList.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS

What does VRAINS mean?
Your guess is as good as mine.

EDIT: Apparently "Link VRAINS" is the name of the cyberspace they duel in.
Still doesn't really explain what VRAINS means.

EDIT #2: Here is a picture of our main character while in VRAINS.
The image in the OP is his real look, this is more like his virtual avatar.
That is Decode Talker, our example Link Monster, behind him.
No idea what the little guy in the background is.

xion52998
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by xion52998 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:47 am

yusei-oh
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by yusei-oh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:52 am

since this is going to be in the digital world,
Yu-Gi-Oh X Digimon? :lol:

but anyway, after learning and understanding the new summoning method a bit more, I'd like to share some of the positive's I think will come of this.

with Pendulum zones now taking up the s/t zone I'd hope this would alleviate one of my personal gripes about the game with backrow spam, with less room, you have to think more carefully about what you want to set and not be stopped as frequently by solemns and effect negators.

these Link monsters, I would go so far to say as, are even more spamable than Xyz's so getting links shouldn't be too difficult. not to mention they give your opponent link zones at times too so it won't always be only you getting to use them and vice-versa.

on another note, I can't wait to see what the first banned link monster will be.
If you're Christian and not afraid to admit it, Put this in your sig! God FTW!!!

MysticJhn

Post by MysticJhn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Alright, well, that explains that little guy.
He'll be his dueling spirit, akin to the Pharoah, Yubel, or Astral.
Only, given the design, I'd have to guess more annoying.
Our protagonist seems rather straight laced and calm, so maybe they were going for an opposite feel?
yusei-oh wrote:these Link monsters, I would go so far to say as, are even more spamable than Xyz's so getting links shouldn't be too difficult.
Levels 1 and 2 would be easily spamable, and if I undertsand correctly, a Level 1 would be a free play
once you already had another Link Monster already on the field.
Even Level 3 won't be bad, and 4 will probably be average.

Levels 5 and 6, where I guessing the top monsters will be, will be a challenge to play just on the physical limit of available zones.
You're not spamming these ever.

Links 7 and 8, while possible technically, would be virtually impossible in real play.
They literally require links on your opponents field to be built up and travel to your side.
If you see one of those, it's got to be godly level OP monsters.

And Link 8 is the physical limit because there's only 8 possible directions to link to as indicated by Link Markers.
Once you hit that point, though, there's no point in playing one except to swing for game.
Even if a monster uses all 8 Link Markers, there's no position on the field to place them to make use of all 8.
The way I figure it, no position on the field can make use of more than 6.
That would be a Link 6 Monster in the Extra Zone with all 3 top and all 3 bottom Link Markers active.
The link markers on the sides are worthless in the Extra Zone since one side always points off the field
and the other side points to the empty space between Extra Zones where there's nothing to link to.