There was a HOLE here. It's gone now. [Traptrix Guide]

Check out these very helpful guides, written by YCG Forum's very own members.
Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

There was a HOLE here. It's gone now. [Traptrix Guide]

Post by Loki » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
II. Overview
III. Traptrix Cards
IV. Support and Tech
V. Deck Types
VI. Updates

(control+F these terms to jump to the desired section.)

I. Introduction
This guide is to help people to understand and therefore better utilize the “Traptrix” archetype. I hope that in creating this I can possibly help some people out there on their road to creating a “Traptrix” based deck.

II. Overview

Traptrix is a small archetype of level four earth plant and insect monsters who revolve around the use of "Hole" normal trap cards. They have the appearance of young girls in their own artworks, but the artwork of "Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare" suggests the girls are either vicious creatures in disguise or bait to lure prey for their pets.

The pets of the "Traptrix" girls are all creatures known for using holes to trap their prey. Nepenthes' pitcher plant lures insects into a chamber with unclimbable walls filled with digestive fluids. Myrmeleo's antlion simply waits at the bottom of a pit dug in sand until something falls in. This pit is cone-shaped and the floor is made of loose sand that is also unclimbable. Atrax's funnel-web spider sits at the bottom of its tubular web and grabs anything that disturbs one of its tripwires with its strong and highly venomous fangs. Dionaea, a venus flytrap, is the exception to this pattern. Flytraps have hair-like trigger trichomes on the inner surface of their leaf lobes that, when tripped, close the lobes in about 1/10th of a second. In addition to that they all share the common text:
This card is unaffected by the effects of "Hole" Normal Trap Cards.
Making them immune to the traps they focus on. That's not too impressive though considering the only "Hole" normal trap used is Bottomless, but it's something. Since the archetype is small it lacks some of the support the larger ones get, but the size of the archetype isn't necessarily a down side. It actually allows for some interesting tech choices to be made so you can make a deck that can focus on a play style you enjoy. They are fun and excel at playing a control type game in addition to what ever strategies you can mesh with them.

Next I’ll go over their biggest “strengths” and “weaknesses”.

Strengths:

- They play a nice control game, removing threats one by one as they pop up.
- They have great card art.

Weaknesses:

- Any deck/cards that can easily clear/negate traps (Jinzo, Royal Decree, Forbidden Lance, etc).
- Going second can hinder you. Some decks can set up fast on turn one, and if that happens you won't be able to stop it with your traps.

III. Traptrix Cards

Traptrix Atrax – With the highest attack she has some nice effects to back it up as well. Being able to activate "Hole" cards from you hand frees up more back row spots for other cards and keeps them safe from trap removal. The anti negation effect is also applied to all normal traps, so cards like Dimensional Prison and Mirror Force have a better chance of hitting. But negation (Bribe, etc.) isn't run so much as protection (Lance, etc.). I'd rank her third of the four. Run two.

Traptrix Myrmeleo - The best of the Traptrix, Myrmeleo has a respectable attack and two great effects. She can search out your best "Hole" for any situation, and she can be a reusable Mystical Space Typhoon. Run three of her before the others.

Traptrix Nepenthes – The monster searcher of the lot, but I'd say she's the worst. She's got the best defense of them all which is nice, but her search can be somewhat unreliable. Searching out Myrmeleo after destroying a monster with a "hole" for spell and trap card destruction is nice though. Run one or two.

Traptrix Dionaea – Not out in TCG yet so I can't test her, but she seems like the second best of the group. Not only can she revive a Myrmeleo to use her destruction effect, but she can help you reuse your limited Bottomless. I'd say she'd be good at two, maybe three.

Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare – A fairly decent trap. Since a lot of monsters have effects and have some way to be special summoned it can hit a lot of things. I only run one though since other "Hole" card are more versatile.

IV. Support and Tech

Acid Trap Hole – Could be useful, but it has even more conditions than the others. I wouldn't run any.

Adhesion Trap Hole – Worthless. There are far better "Hole" cards.

Armored Bee – If you focus on insects this can be your out to so many monsters. This can get over anything with 3200 or less attack, like Black Luster Soldier.

Anti-Spell Fragrance – This can slow the duel down even further for your opponent and it allows you to pick off important spells with Myrmeleo.

Beetron – Since Traptrix are control oriented and gain effects on Special Summons you can run this and three Call of the Haunted and Fiendish Chain. The traps add to the controls aspect and Beetron allows you to remove them after use to Special Summon back your Traptrix.

Breakthrough Skill – A great trap to stop nasty effects like Stardust Dragon, and combined with Atrax it can't be negated. You also get a second use out of it from the grave.

Bottomless Trap Hole – Best trap hole in the game. Not only does it banish a threat, but it can get rid of more than one monster if they are summoned at the same time. Run as many as the ban list allows with Traptrix.

Call of the Haunted – Recycles your Dionaea and Myrmeleo so you can reuse your traps and destroy your opponent's back row.

Compulsory Evacuation Device – A great trap to clear the field of bigger monsters and monsters with protection effects. Combined with Atrax it can't be negated.

D.D. Trap Hole – Might be good if it didn't require you to remove one of your monsters as well. I wouldn't bother with this one.

Deep Dark Trap Hole – I'd say this isn worth running, but with the advent of XYZs a lot of decks can get away with lower level monster and this won't touch XYZs since they don't have levels.

Dimensional Prison – A great trap to get around monsters with protection against destruction. Combined with Atrax it can't be negated.

Fairy King Albverdich – Can help out since Traptrix have somewhat low attack.

Gemini Trap Hole – Could be interesting to make a build out of Gemini monsters and Traptrix, but it's useless otherwise.

Giant Trap Hole – Bottomless Does it better, and you get to keep your field. I wouldn't go for this.

Gigantes – All the Traptrix are earth so you should have no problem summoning this. He's a decent beater and can clear the field of spells and traps. That could backfire though, so be careful with it.

Gigaplant – Can bring back all of your Traptrix monsters since it works on plants and insects. You can have a Mystical Space Typhoon every turn if you grab Myrmeleo and get him back in the grave.

Grandsoil the Elemental Lord – All the Traptrix are earth so you should have no problem summoning this. Can get you an extra monster and it's a decent beat stick.

Koa'ki Meiru Beetle – Since half the archetype is insect, you should be able to keep this out and possibly mess up light and dark decks (which are fairly common).

Lonefire Blossom – Can grab your Dionaea (triggering her effect) and Nepenthes fast and easy. If you go for a plant build this is a must.

Mirror Force – A great trap to stop full out assaults, and combined with Atrax it can't be negated.

Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders – Solid wall, can be special summoned easily since all Traptrix are earth. Can help you set up the grave for Myrmeleo and Dionaea plays and help Special Summon them.

Summoner Monk – All Traptrix are level four so he can grab any of them, and he triggers Myrmeleo and Dionaea.

Torrential Tribute – A great trap to reset the field, and combined with Atrax it can't be negated.

Trap Hole – A very underrated card. I've seen people not wanting to run this card in Traptrix decks, but it can stop a lot of plays before they get started. Its attack threshold is even lower than the others as well at 1000.

Trap Stun – Allows you to attack without worrying about traps among other things. If Atrax is out you're somewhat immune to its effects as well (if you use normal traps) and it can't be negated.

Treacherous Trap Hole – If you get it first turn it could be okay, but if any traps touch your grave it's a dead card. Not worth the risk.

Verdant Sanctuary – With the addition of Dionaea I don't see this being as useful, but if you're focusing on the insect Traptrix monsters you'll have an endless amount with this searching them out.

Void Trap Hole – A bit harder to use than the other "Hole" cards with the 2000 attack limit, but it works wonders against Synchro and XYZ monsters.

V. Deck Types
Spoiler:
2x Dionaea
2x Atrax
2x Nepenthes
3x Myrmeleo

1x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare
2x Trap Hole
2x Void Trap Hole

- This is the Traptrix monster line up I use. I haven't tested Dionaea, but I assume two will be enough.
- This is also the trap hole line up I found to work best. If Bottomless ever goes back up I'd use those over Trap Hole.
- After that it's up to you on what tech you want to use. Could Verdant Sanctuary, Gigaplant, etc.
Plantrix:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37137
Spoiler:
dracostrike wrote:Image
Monsters: 17
3 Fire Hand
3 Ice Hand
2 Summoner Monk
3 Tour Guide From The Underworld
3 Traptrix Dionaea
3 Traptrix Myrmeleo

Spells: 11
1 Book Of Moon
1 Dark Hole
2 Forbidden Lance
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Pot Of Dichotomy
3 Pot Of Duality

Traps: 12
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Breakthrough Skill
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Fiendish Chain
1 Solemn Warning
1 Torrential Tribute
2 Trap Hole

Extra: 15
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Gagaga Cowboy
1 Ghostrick Alucard
1 Leviair The Sea Dragon
2 Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
1 Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
1 Number 50: Blackship Of Corn
1 Number 85: Crazy Box
1 Steelswarm Roach
1 Temtempo The Percussion Djinn
1 Wind-Up Zenmaines

VI. Updates

2-7-14: Grand Posting
2-8-14: Fixed grammar, spelling, and made it fancy.
4-19-14: Decks added, changed Tio to Dionaea

VII. Special Thanks

YuGiOh Card Guide - For being on the internet and letting all us players come here and help each other out.

YuGiOh Wiki - For having so much information I can link and sift through.

The Creators of YuGiOh - I, along with many others, love this game and wish it many more years of prosperity.
Last edited by Loki on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 am, edited 10 times in total.

Star08
Secret Rare Duelist

Re: There was a HOLE here. It's gone now. [Traptrix Guide]

Post by Star08 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:43 am

looks amazing so far
Signature by Zanrith

thank you to stardust for the great sig and mystic for the avatar
DN name star07
PM for a duel

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:10 am

Star08 wrote:looks amazing so far
Thank you, just went through and fixed some spelling and grammatical errors. Should read a little better now.

yustone010x
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by yustone010x » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:34 am

Looks nice!

Signature byStardust Dragon

Devpro user = JBone123 feel free to add me and play a game whenever I'm on

DN User = England Fifth

JhonnyCees
Parallel Rare Duelist

Post by JhonnyCees » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:44 pm

You had a grammar mistake here - "Trap Hole – Very underrated cards. "

Other than that, great work! ME ENCANTAN GUIAS
sgtc1 wrote:YGO isn't an old house. It looks more like Chernobyl.

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:39 pm

JhonnyCees wrote:You had a grammar mistake here - "Trap Hole – Very underrated cards. "

Other than that, great work! ME ENCANTAN GUIAS
Thank you, fixed it.

Lithium
Parallel Rare Duelist
Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby

Post by Lithium » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 pm

<3 it
Amy Lee wrote:"Don't be afraid of the shadows, it only means there's a light nearby."

crimson wolf
Ultimate Rare Duelist

Post by crimson wolf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 am

How about adding Chaos Trap Hole to Support and Tech list?
somebody wrote: Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour , or for a day or even a year. But eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. But if I quit however, it will last forever.

Rowwdy Yisb
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Rowwdy Yisb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 am

Sick! :D
ChaosDraGon00 wrote:Rowwdy's right

Phoenix King
Secret Rare Duelist

Post by Phoenix King » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:27 am

Very nice Loki!
Deathbat Signature by DarkFireblaze3636
Galactic Conquest - A Story by Phoenix King
Galactic Desolation: A Guide to Photon and Galaxy's
Bakugan Battle Mania! - Witness the battle!
The only one...

Lithium
Parallel Rare Duelist
Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby

Post by Lithium » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 am

Come look at my Plantrix build whenever you get a chance!

I can use your opnion :wink:
Amy Lee wrote:"Don't be afraid of the shadows, it only means there's a light nearby."

Loki
Ghost Rare Duelist

Post by Loki » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:11 am

crimson wolf wrote:How about adding Chaos Trap Hole to Support and Tech list?
They only work with Normal Hole Trap cards. Chaos is a counter trap.

ncepulo
Ultra Rare Duelist

Post by ncepulo » Fri May 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Nice Job! :D
I fear the day when American feminism will become less "equalism" and more female supremacy, a male president will lie to further male hatred, and society will pay much more attention to female issues than that of males. That day is today.